FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Sad Day for Hockey

Author Topic: A Sad Day for Hockey
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL canceled what little was left of the season Wednesday after a series of last-minute offers were rejected on the final day of negotiations.

A lockout over a salary cap shut down the game before it ever got a chance to start in October. Now the NHL, already low on the popularity scale in the United States, becomes the first major pro sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

``I have no choice but to cancel the 2004-05 season,'' commissioner Gary Bettman said. ``This is a sad, regrettable day that all of us wish could have been avoided.''

The league and players' union traded a flurry of proposals and letters Tuesday night, but could never agree on a cap. The players proposed $49 million per team; the owners said $42.5 million.

``We weren't as close as people were speculating,'' Bettman said.

This will be the first time the Stanley Cup isn't awarded since 1919 when a flu epidemic forced the finals to be called off.

``Through the decades and the generations we have faced a variety of crises and challenges -- some of which seemed catastrophic at the time,'' Bettman said. ``The league persevered through all those adversities and the league will persevere through this one, as well -- to emerge with a framework for the future, one that is fair to everyone -- where our players are fairly paid, receiving what we can afford.

``No more, no less.''

Before Monday, the idea of a salary cap was a deal-breaker for the players' association but the union gave in and said it would accept one when the NHL dropped its insistence that there be a link between revenues and player costs.

That still wasn't enough to end the lockout that started on Sept. 16 and ultimately wiped out the entire 1,230-game schedule and the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpdnRxM2dhB F9TAzk1ODYxODgzBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-nhllockout&prov=ap&type=lgns

[Cry] I really thought when they both agreed to a cap they would be able to save it. [Cry]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. So did a lot of the players too, apparently. Marty Biron and other Sabres players were working out harder yesterday and today thinking the season would be saved.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossible for me to feel sorry for either the players or the owners.

If I really tried, I could probably feel sorry for the fans, but I don't feel like putting forth the effort.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I feel sorry for the businesses and staff people and the like that don't have a job or are losing a lot of their business. The Sabres were one of the few remaining reasons to go to downtown Buffalo.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I can agree with that.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Go watch amateur and semi-pro. Better seating, better hockey, and the games are a LOT more fun anyways.

[ February 16, 2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

There's lacrosse, too. That reminds me, I need to find out when the next Bandits game is.
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be the end of NHL
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's very important to note the distincion between professional hockey and Hockey. When the ground clears up, I'm going to play roller hockey again, despite the crushing blow of people not getting paid to play it. Heck, I play lacrosse even those people get like $500 a game. Of course, I also date even though I don't watch romantic comedy movies and I do standup even though I generally don't watch sitcoms.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
::fails to resist urge to wonder aloud what MrSquicky's stand-up act would be like::

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

That's very true, Squick. Hockey as a sport will continue to exist. However, what we miss is having a top level of competition. It is likely if the NHL folds or contracts to fewer teams that it will be gone from here. Now I cut my teeth going to see the Hampton Roads Admirals ECHL team, back when it was the sort of league where the players had day jobs and travelled via greyhound bus. I had stopped watching most of the NHL (on TV) until the playoffs last year. The Calgary Flames in particular showed off a style of hockey that was fast paced and fun to watch. The Sabres, who just missed the playoffs last year, looked to contend. They had lowered ticket prices substantially and had a positive outlook. Now, who knows what will happen.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
The Panthers were going to be good this year and a salary cap would have made them even better. [Cry]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Tick,
I'm partially being a grump gus here, but I think there's a very mportant distinction that is too often glossed over. You're right about missing the top level of play and that's a shame, but for me, it's important to realize that we're not really (except for that) losing anything from Sport. What this means is that we're losing Entertainment, which shouldn't detract from Sport at all.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
GO RED WINGS!

erm... please... go...

Poor Red Wings... [Frown]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to ruffle too many feathershere, but professional hockey has seen a decline in attendance and viewership for years, and frankly, it won't be missed by the large majority of the population.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Go watch amateur and semi-pro. Better seating, better hockey, and the games are a LOT more fun anyways."

Hear hear! While pro hockey is definitely the top level, I think it is often less hockey than it is boxing. That's what many fans go for, and what refs let go.

I am honest when I say I would rather watch a Middlebury-Dathmouth game than a Bruins-Canadiens game.

When I was a lass, I watched the Canadiens with my grandfather. I remember a game where both benches emptied, except for Henri Richard, who sat there and watched in disgust.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Understood, dude. Here's hoping more college hockey gets TV time.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The Tick,
My dad was the coach for Nichols School many noons ago. Do you know that school?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yes, vaguely. I haven't lived her all that long but I know it's not far from my house. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, that's right, I remember you saying you did not grow up there.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Something some astute sportswriters have noted:

"The last time the Red Sox were baseball's champions, of course, was 1918, and the following spring there was no Stanley Cup."

[No No] So we can blame the Sox for this.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Telp, I'm miss watching the Red Wings too. They were great to watch. Especially with a cold beer and pretzels.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Nichols? In Buffallo?

Ahhh. We're playing them on Monday. And they're really good. And I'm scared.

quote:
it won't be missed by the large majority of the population
Not in Toronto, it isn't. Greatest hockey city in the world!

I am really sad about the end of the season. I was the bigggest leafs fan ever, barring none. Truly. I toook up playing hockey this year, because I am a pessimist. But next year, I am probably going to buy St. John's Maple Leafs Season Tickets, because they are moving to play at the ACC. It's sad that Nfld is losing their team, but I am glad for it moving to Torontop. I know that it is a really selfish attitude, but the ACC is the best arena in TO and there isn't any hockey there now [Frown]

Booooo Red Wings

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Desdemona, do you play? Women's hockey has come so far since I was a lass, and I am so glad. It the the single most fun sport to play. It was really hard for me as a girl, because I was around hockey all the time, and I could skate and handle the puck better than most of the boys, but I couldn't play.

When I played in college, finally, it was the first year our team was a varsity team, and we stunk. Now, they are one of the best.

As for the Red Sox thing, Tick, as my husband was watching the whole Bruins press conference thing, and heard the words "86 years," he immediately said, "That's how long the curse lasted!" Ha ha. The sports Lord giveth, and he taketh away.

Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I play. I am really really bad, seeing as I only took it up this year, but I am getting better every game. Hopefully.

I love it... it's so much fun.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How old are you, D? Just keep practicing. Play on the ponds with boys whenever you can.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.