FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NASA Researchers Claim Evidence of Present Life on Mars... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: NASA Researchers Claim Evidence of Present Life on Mars...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All will be revealed in time.
Nope. We will never discover everything there is to discover about this universe.

All might be revealed outside of time. [Wink]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagsie, thou speakest humbug. There is a finite amount of energy in the Universe, and its configurations are quantised. Therefore there is a limit to the number of facts in the Universe, and it is possible to enumerate them. To be sure you'd need a nice compression algorithm. Nevertheless, the Universe is in principle knowable.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nope - the organizing of the facts themselves would change the configuration of the universe.

Further, while I believe in the soundness of quantum theory, I have zero confidence that there's not something "deeper" we haven't yet discovered. Even if there isn't, we clearly can't know things outside out space-time cone, right?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are referring to hidden variables, they are refuted by Bell inequality unless they get seriously weird. And since our space-time cone includes the entire Universe if you wait long enough, that's not much of a limitation.

Also, note that I said 'it is possible to enumerate all allowed configurations of the Universe'. The Universe in which a large part of the energy has been used in that enumeration is a conceivable configuration, yes. That doesn't in any way change the original assertion.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not talking about "hidden variables." I'm talking about a new paradigm as fundamentally altering of our view of the world as quantum mechanics and relativity were.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Such a theory would have to include quantum mechanics. In any case, how does that invalidate what I said?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Because I don't think we'll ever be to the point where such a revolutionary discovery is not forthcoming.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Then you still need to deal with the finite-configurations bit.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No I don't - I don't believe there are finite configurations. I certainly don't believe they are knowable, even theoretically.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Then we must either agree to disagree, or begin arguing from authority. It won't matter in either of our lifetimes.

However, I will make a slightly less general prediction : The inflationary theory will be straightened out in our lifetimes. That is, we will have a good understanding of the mechanism, extent, and duration of inflation, arising from a fuller exploration of physics at TeV energies.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It won't matter in either of our lifetimes.
True. We're both speculating about something that will happen very far in the future, if it ever does.

Of course, I believe I'll be around to see it. [Smile]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
skillery and I went around for a while about a finite versus infinitely knowable universe in this thread. Just in case you were interested in other people's arguments on it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
creationists suggest that most dinosaurs died as a result of the great flood described in Genesis 6-8. Dinosaur types which were preserved on the ark probably faced severe climate changes following the flood.
from the answersingenesis website. That's a first for me, I'v never heard of anybody saying there were dinos on the Ark. I'd've hated to have been the stable boy on that trip.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
93. What is the Anthropic Principle?
...The Anthropic Principle is a powerful argument that the universe was designed.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/Docs/399.asp#1

The Anthropic Principle has been used by both sides in debates, with varying degrees of logic and applicibility.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
NASA nixes claims of Mars life

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting......
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang…. Here I was looking forward to War of the Worlds
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

So it was all just speculation, with no paper submitted to a journal? Then what a waste of 4 pages of discussion...oh, wait. [Blushing]
We hardly stayed on topic anyway, no harm no foul. [Evil Laugh]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.