FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ok, AntiCool, time to talk (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ok, AntiCool, time to talk
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*refrains from pointing out that I responded to at least a couple of AntiCool's posts on that thread, not that it matters, because it's far more prestigious to be answered by Lalo* [Wink]

And I haven't the slightest idea who AntiCool is.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
If I based continued participation at Hatrack with the level of responses I've generally gotten to my posts over the years, I would have been gone years ago. I think all but a few people feel like they are often neglected, and the ones who don't feel this way are simply people who post so much that they think they are being responded to, when it's really just subsequent posts of their own [Smile]

-Bok

[ February 17, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the ones who don't feel this way are simply people who post so much that they think they are being responded to, when it's really just subsequent posts of their own
[ROFL]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, Bok knows best.

Also, I think it's important to remember that different people are attracted to different posting styles. Personally, I prefer posters who don't "over-post." It bugs me when I see the same poster in every thread day in and day out 'cause I get bored with them. There are a lot of posters who I keep my eye on (isn't that a scary thought!) because they don't post all the time, so their posts are like little wordy gems.

Anyway, AntiCool, I think you should tell us who you are - if you want to - soon, 'cause I gotta go get some stuff done. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once again, Bok knows best.
You see?

YOU SEE?!

That's it.

I'm leaving!

[Mad]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
What? Bok is leaving? You've been here so long!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
YOU SEE?!

Don't you hate posters that use all caps in their posts. I usually ignore those.

[ February 17, 2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I prefer posters who don't "over-post." It bugs me when I see the same poster in every thread day in and day out
Yeah, I agree. Crazy over-posters.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. It doesn't say Bok, it says Icky. Can't you read Icarus? It clearly says, "Once again, Icky knows best."

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Dag, I am coveting your post-count. [Razz]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not. [Eek!] [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Heh. Now I've got people wondering if they "over-post." [Evil]

I'm a bad, bad woman.

space opera

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, let me say that I know that many people have responded to me on many different threads.

I just mentioned the "Men are scum" thread because it is something that, to my view, has happened time and time again.

I especially appreciated what ElJay said to me yesterday. I never really connected to you before, ElJay, but at least something good has come out of this weirdness.

You guys are right. I never feel a need to respond to every little thing said by others -- I respond to those things that I have a response for.

I relly feel like a whining "look at me! I need attention" weenie. [Frown]

OK, I don't want to be the kind of coward that I feel like right now. I am mr_porteiro_head. I never intended to make a scene. It just ... happened.

The only reason why I changed my name at all is that I came up with a name that I really liked, and that I wanted to use. I started using it, and I guess I got caught up in the mystery of it, and prolonged things much longer than I am now happy with.

I think that some of the reasons I got caught up in it are:
1. I am insecure, and that insecurity manifests it with:
2. I often feel that since everybody knows that I am a Mormon living in Utah with children, my opinions can be safely ignored. After all, of *course* I am going to be conservative. Of *course* I [insert long list of stereotypical Mormon behaviors, attitudes, and beliefs].

For instance, why even bother talking with a Mormon about abortion? You already know what they are going to believe, and you aren't going to change their mind.
This probably says much more about me than about anything else, to my shame.

And you know what? 95% of the time, I fall right into the stereotypical Mormon mold. This either means that
a) I am mostly an unthinking lemming (even though I know that the story of suicidal lemmings is a myth) following first what my parents taught me and later what my culture tells me or
b) as a thinking person, I have come to share most of the attitudes and opinions that people generally associate with those of my faith.

I personally like to believe b), but I often wonder if people have assumed a). After all, it is so much easier to do so put me in a neat little cubby-hole.

And yet again, I probably reveal my own failures and lack of charity more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the ruckus, I'm sorry for making a scene, and I'm sorry for acting like a jackdonkey.

P.S.
Purely for narcissistic curiosity, those of you who knew who I am -- how did you know? Do I have a distinctive posting style? I don't try to.

[ February 17, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
To remove any doubt, I confirm my above post with this one.

I am AntiCool.

AntiCool is also the screen name I've been using for the last day.

[ February 17, 2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
With me, it's more about overkill.

I once considered going through every thread in the active list and counting who killed how many threads. I wanted to support my theory that I've killed the most. [Smile] [Grumble]

Edit: And thanks for bringing all of that out, MPH. It's good to know somebody else feels just like I do. [Smile]

[ February 17, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I knew because you made a couple supportive remarks in my thread and then disappeared, after which most of the remarks in that same tone came from Anti Cool. [Smile]

And I promise that I never thought less of you throughout the entire deal.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
I knew because you made a couple supportive remarks in my thread and then disappeared, after which most of the remarks in that same tone came from Anti Cool.
Yeah, I was never really trying to be sneaky. Good on 'ya, though.

quote:
And I promise that I never thought less of you throughout the entire deal.
Unfortunately, I did. [Frown]

[ February 17, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
I personally like to believe b), but I often wonder if people have assumed a).
Based on all the posts of yours I've read, I've gone with (b) since early on.

And I'm not saying that just to be nice.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

You'd better not be! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[Wink]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

Part of my problem with this whole thing is that it has forced me to recognize the fact that I am still, on some levels, insecure with myself. I thought I had left that ugly part of myself behind long ago. I have not enjoyed learning that I apparently didn't.

Not that this is really that big a deal. I'm not distraught, tearing my clothes, and I have no need for sackcloth nor ashes. I'm just a little dissapointed in myself.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I knew because of the "wub".

And the name.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Seriously, you have always struck me as someone who has thought out their opinions for themselves and not simply relied on what the church, society, etc. tells them to believe.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

What about the name?

IRL, am I really that uncool? [Confused]

[Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Uncool is very different than anti-cool.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Annie said it exactly.

I do not think you are either. However, I do think you are think you are anticool. Since we name ourselves, it was something I can see you naming yourself. [Smile]

Ela
Member # 1365

What zgator said.

I can't say that I don't feel disappointed in the fact that you felt you had to resort to such a tactic.

I know that you have felt unhappy and out of place at Hatrack at various times, for various reasons. I think we all do, at times (except maybe Tom [Wink] ).

I haven't really seen any sign, though, that people routinely ignore your posts. You are, in general, much more active than I am in the forum. I regularly see you engaged in many of the discussions, responding and be responded to.

No one responds to every post. Sometimes I just read and digest the thought. I don't feel the need to jump in and say "good thought" or some other inane comment ( [Razz] ) every time I see a post that makes a good point. If I don't have something relevant to say, I may just read and stay silent.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow -- mph, huh?

I was sure it was a woman.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Anticool is the new cool.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
I do not think you are either. However, I do think you are think you are anticool. Since we name ourselves, it was something I can see you naming yourself. [Smile]
*shrivels under the microscope*
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I especially appreciated what ElJay said to me yesterday. I never really connected to you before, ElJay, but at least something good has come out of this weirdness.

Cool.

I do think your posting style has been slightly different under the new name, but not hugely.

Wanna know my insecurity secret related to Hatrack? People, male and female, started responding to me in vast numbers after pictures of me were first posted. Before people knew what I looked like, I felt pretty much ignored.

Now, I don't think people would respond to me based just on my looks if I wasn't saying something they felt was worth responding to. But I do think I get much more attention paid to me because I fit society's current definition of attractiveness than I would if I didn't. And I'm not blaming anyone for that, it's part of human nature. But it makes me wonder how much y'all just like me because I'm cute. (That was meant as a slam on me and my self-confidence, not on anyone else here.)

The counter argument is that pictures of me first appeared right around KamaCon, when I met a lot of people in person and got to know them, so they could have started responding to me more because I was now real to them, which made me more comfortable and active, which would make other people more likely to respond to me. Most of the time I go with that explination.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

LJ, I have no idea what you look like, so it wasn't that.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it! I just got this vibe from you. I don't know if it's a "style", but you're just more, I don't know, mature and reasoned than a lot of people, and you have distinctive ways of voicing your positions... I don't know, I can't really pin it down.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
The counter argument is that pictures of me first appeared right around KamaCon, when I met a lot of people in person and got to know them, so they could have started responding to me more because I was now real to them, which made me more comfortable and active, which would make other people more likely to respond to me. Most of the time I go with that explination.
Yeah, I would go with that explanation, Eljay. A lot of us starting feeling a lot more connected after Endercon. Same thing after Wenchcon. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LJ, I have no idea what you look like, so it wasn't that.
Oh, I totally didn't think so in that context, Anticool. I was just sharing that, as someone who is responded to here pretty frequently, I'm still insecure about why I'm responded to.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, I like you even more after this. I also am going to be more aware of pigeon-holing people. Thanks -- I did need a bit of a shake to wake me up.

I, uh, figured you were mothertree. [Blushing]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm officially not as smart as I thought I was.

But I like Mr. Homestarrio Eyes better.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Give it up, Trisha. Who did you think I was?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Look at what I miss when I go eat lunch!

I would have never guessed mph, so I'm surprised. You have always seemed very very confident to me and sure of yourself. Insecure was something that I wouldn't have equated with you.

But, I guess that just shows how little we know people. Sometimes I would really love for people on Hatrack to tell me how they view me. It would be pretty interesting to see if they're right or not. AntiCool, I hope you're happy with your new name, and I hope you stay around for a long time.

space opera

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No, you are both very smart. I think I picked up on a certain similarity in wry humor, impatience, and some (what are to me) conservative themes. I never would have thought of you two as similar before, but I can see it now.

Well-versed, articulate, confident, and sometimes a little impatient with fools, but in a controlled and polite way. Really, it is just amazing.

[And yeah, I own up to some eyes-glossing-over when I'd see your name on a more fiesty thread, mph. I assumed I knew what you would say. I am aware of that now, where I wasn't before.]

[ February 17, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
You have always seemed very very confident to me and sure of yourself. Insecure was something that I wouldn't have equated with you.
Same here. It surprised me. The junior high version of myself -- sure. But anything since then?

Well, I guess I'm just human afer all.
[Cool]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Does bev know? [Smile]
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Yeah, she's known all along, but was kind enough to not post in this thread while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I hear her typing upstairs, so she'll probably post very soon.

[ February 17, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen a picture of you, ElJay. I will admit that I paid a little more attention at first because of your relationship to dkw, who I think is supercool. *shrug* Human nature. But then I came to appreciate all the coolness that you add to every thread you post in.

-o-

Dang, mph. You came over from the other side with the greatest fanfare of any "newbie" I have ever seen. I always felt like some sort of "cognosenti" because I occasionally post over there, so you were not new to me. I felt some sort of weird ownership, like I had something to do with your presence here (like what anne kate used to get when she introduced a cool newbie to the rest of us)--Actually, part of that feeling had to do with my initial assumption that you were Latino like I am.--until it occurred to me that, while I had read your posts on the other side, I had never actually interacted with you over there, and so there was every likelihood that, while I thought of you as kind of a friend, you probably didn't know who the hell I was! (I have a vague memory of you misreading something I said some time ago, and being stunned that you could misinterpret me so, and this brought that home to me.)

Diagram the above paragraph. I double dog dare you. [Razz]

Anyway, any Hatracker who has a spouse on Hatrack achieves instant coolness. Everyone knows that. Sheesh.

-o-

Honestly, I can't think of any Hatrackers who have been around less time than me who make me feel more insecure about thw worth of my contributions that mph and ElJay.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried out a couple different names:

Anthem
Lord of all Fools

and one I won't be listing here ever, because it's handy having a demon personality. (I've posted as this person maybe five times in all of my history on Hatrack)

But I always come back to Scott R. I take greater pleasure in having people know me than wonder about me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

One thing I've always wondered is how couples living together handle posting at Hatrack. If my wife ever started posting here, we would have to log in and out frequently and pretty much sit at the same table, as we only have one computer at home. Talk about an interesting way to carry on a conversation.

You don't think it's weird at all to carry on a conversation with your wife online when she's one floor away from you? [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
No, AFR, not at all. If we only had one computer, then we wouldn't be able to banter. We would have to take turns. That wouldn't be near as much fun.

Why would couples leave love notes for each other when they can just say it to them? Because it is *fun*! Besides, the discussion takes in all the wonderful people of Hatrack, and that is what really makes interesting things happen. It is like a party atmosphere, a party we are both attending, but in which we feel free to take part in different discussions or the same ones depending on our whims.

Being a couple on Hatrack is da bomb. I highly recommend it. Uh, if you have two computers, that is. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Icky, your perception was right on, and I apologize for not picking up on you earlier.

I have always been bad with remembering people, and it takes me a long time before a person starts to gel in my mind.

For instance, there was a time that I read Daedelus (who was Lalo) and Dagonee as the same name, because Dag hadn't really gelled in my mind yet.

In high school, there were many people who knew exactly who I was, and I didn't know them at all. Not even a name.

The same thing happens here on Hatrack. Somebody will responde to me by my IRL name, and I will realize that I don't know a single thing about that person. They know me but I don't know them.

It usually takes one conversaion that both I and an individual participate in a lot for me to start recognizing that person's name. For instance, I never noticed Celia until after we both disagreed with each other on a thread about propriety and carpooling with a married person of the opposite sex. After that thread, I saw her all over the place. But before that thread, I never noticed her at all.

Nope, I'm not latino. I'm about as white as they come. In fact, right now I am doing the unspeakable and turning one of my favorite Brazillian songs into a bluegrass song. I'm such a cracker. [Smile]

edit: because I still didn't know. [Frown]

[ February 17, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Ela
Member # 1365

My husband refuses to participate in Hatrack. [Smile]

Almost everyone else in my immediate family has, though. [Razz]

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
You can put me in the shocked camp about AntiCool being MPH.

I've been reading the Men are scum thread and AntiCool had opinions and voiced them, not to say MPH doesn't. But everytime I've seen MPH post, it was always a quick "This is what I believe and I'm not going to explain" or "I won't even get into what I believe because you either know already or won't like what you hear." I do realize that it's impossible to see all of someone's posts and I am somewhat new around here and thus don't know people all that well, but like I said, from what I saw, MPH was vastly different from AntiCool.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
For instance, there was a time that I read Daedelus (who was John L) and Dagonee as the same name, because Dag hadn't really gelled in my mind yet.
Daedalus was Lalo.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.