FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Do You Believe About God? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Do You Believe About God?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that God is a both a Father and a King, and that seperating either of those aspects from the other can lead us to misunderstanding His nature.

I believe he is Omniscient, but not Omnipotent. Specifically, I believe that God cannot remove human agency without removing our capacity to learn.

I believe that God knows each of us intimately. I believe that He is willing to reach each of us personally, but we must choose Him over other voices.

I believe God is good, but not particularly nice. I do not mean that He is unkind-- but we certainly cannot look at the pain He placed on Christ's shoulders and with any degree of seriousness, call God 'nice.'

(Christ's words, 'Father with thee, all things are possible. Remove thou this cup from me,' haunt me.)

I believe that God is utterly, and finally, merciful.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think God's male or female, or exists as a separate entity from the universe.
Perhaps it's easier to think of God inbedded in everything...
Hard to explain.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I like what Syn's trying to say. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe God is good, but not particularly nice. I do not mean that He is unkind-- but we certainly cannot look at the pain He placed on Christ's shoulders and with any degree of seriousness, call God 'nice.'
Reminds me of Lewis's description of Aslan as "Good, but not Safe."
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clincher
Member # 7395

- posted      Profile for Clincher           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they put toothpaste in squeeze bottles? Its hard to get it out when its near the bottom of the squeeze bottle. You gotta do the finger shuffle thing to push it up, or roll it up from the bottom. They should put toothpaste in soap like dispensers, that would be more logical.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I second everything Scott said.

I believe that God will give us what we want most, but not protect us from the consequences of getting it.

I believe that God knows me, knows who I am, and forgives me when I fail after doing my best.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I believe God is good, but not particularly nice.

Perhaps you are meaning, as I believe, that God is just. Meaning He will still allow consequences based on actions. Sometimes doling out justice is not nice, but necessary.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I think there's a shade of difference there. Working for what is good is not exactly as working for what is just - it seems like it's a step higher. An end can be just, but not yet good.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

hence, He needs to be infinitely merciful...

[ February 18, 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, He can't be INFINITELY merciful if He also believes in consequences.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

JM, that may be true, but it doesn't extend from what I said.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

true Tom, perhaps an infinite capacity for Mercy is a better description...

But then again, it may turn on a finer understanding of forgiveness-- i.e. that even God cannot forgive someone who refuses to admit they have done anything wrong... <shrug>

edit: LJ - yeah, I am a little out of sorts today... hopefully my edit helped some...

[ February 18, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that sometimes God's followers will apply the term "infinity" where it is meaningless, simply to describe God in the most superlative language they can think of.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it is possible to become like God.

I believe that we are all children of God.

I believe that everything good comes from God.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the concept of "God" was created by ancient mankind in an attempt to understand the world around them, and similarly to help find a meaning for living (and, probably more importantly, dying).
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe God doesn't like Reality TV and would like to see more SciFi shows on TV.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in God as the creator of the universe, for the simple reason that when we try to figure out what caused everything to exist, we eventually run out of causes.

I don't know what God has been doing since the universe was created, or whether God interferes in the affairs of the world, or even whether God is an actual being or simply a purposeful force that creates. I don't think anyone can know these things.

(Edit to clarify that I'm really only using the term "God" for the sake of convenience. I don't know if there is a single entity that can be called "God.")

~Jane~

[ February 18, 2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in the power of the memetic complex "God." That is, I respect and recognize that the series of beliefs about God, his nature and his role in our lives is a powerful tool for shaping human culture. Belief in a god can either be good or evil, but it is never trivial.

I believe that early animism (belief in the spiritual aspect of nature) led eventually to a matriarchal sort of goddesses worship in prehistoric times and that the matriarchal establishment of a sacred king for yearly sacrifice for the appeasement of the earth goddess eventually morphed in a patriarchal kingship and the imposition of a sky god as subjugating the goddess and ruling over minor spirits/deities.

I believe that a need to believe in something greater than us may actually be an integral part of our nature, whether biological or memetic in origin, and that those who seek to eradicate faith from human life are making a devastating mistake.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
those who seek to eradicate faith from human life are making a devastating mistake.
Do you mean that people who are convinced there is no God do wrong when they try to persuade others of what you yourself believe to be the truth?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Traveler is a very wise man. Or woman, I'm not really sure.

[ February 18, 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I basically agree with Bowles.

To that, I'll add that I think that the idea of God is ultimately a giant metaphysic mirror to justify our own ideas and actions.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question, how did you all decide what you believe about G-d? Is it something that just came naturally to you and you always knew what you believed, or just what your parents brought you up to believe? Was it a decision made in your head and you had to think about it to figure out what made the most sense to you? I'm so confused, I don't know what to believe in anymore.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
JB,

Personally, I was brought up in a household without God, but in a primarily Jewish neighborhhood. My frends were buth Christians and Jews; some went to "Sunday School," and some did not.

I discussed religious beliefs with my parents and my friends, and was not "forced" into any one belief. Obviously, one tends to pick up what one has at home moreso than anything else, and I am certainly no exception.

But I have thought about it deeply, and continue to do so. It's an important question, and I want to make sure I get it right.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are an awful lot of Mormons in this thread. Especially the beginning of this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

KQ,

They're really not so awful, once you get to meet them!

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised with the belief in God. So the idea never seemed foreign to me. But as I have grown up and become self-aware, and the more I learn, I have had to re-evaluate that belief multiple times. Logic appeals to me, rationality appeals to me, truth appeals to me. In order for me to believe, that belief has to make sense. I don't need to understand it completely, since I accept that there are things beyond my current wisdom or capacity to understand, but the basis needs to actually make sense.

In the end, I believe that my continued faith is choice on my part. I feel that there is evidence to support the faith I have, but I do not feel that I could prove it to someone else.

Do I find that belief comforting? Yes and no. On the one hand, believing death is not the end is comforting. Believing that this life is intensely important and heavy with purpose is also very satisfying. On the other hand, believing I am eternally accountable for all my thoughts, words, and actions is profoundly intimidating. As a result, I try to live a life that I won't be ashamed of and I try my best to rely on Christ to help me overcome the rest. Sometimes I don't feel I do a very good job in that last part, and that also is difficult for me.

So, in essence, having faith makes me feel deeply responsible and at the same time like I need to depend on something that is difficult for me to depend because it runs contrary to my nature to do so.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i.e. that even God cannot forgive someone who refuses to admit they have done anything wrong...
I think he forgives them for the wrong but not the refusal to admit it.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're really not so awful, once you get to meet them!
Oh, I don't know... I was in a ward that was pretty bad once... [Wink]

[ February 18, 2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that God put humans and animals on this earth intending for us to eat one another.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, all I know that God and I have a very odd relationship.

I'll get back to you someday.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
God you say?

It's sacrilicious

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
God is just this God, you know.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

(at the ZB/God comment)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping that all the preconceived notions that I have about God and the universe are completely shattered, and that I was mostly wrong in my assumptions.

But what worries me, is that what God might do with my wretched soul once He has judged me...

So so summarize what I believe in a very vague sense, I believe that God wants us to have the good deeds far outweigh the bad deeds: Our credits must outweigh our debits.

I know that is overly simplistic, but that statement is not meant to answer all the questions of the universe either...

[ February 18, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that God cares about the universe in general, but is not particularly concerned with human existence.

I believe that God may have put down the foundations of things, but isn't micromanaging much of anything. If we can't explain something scientificly it's because of a shortfalling of ours, and not because God wants to be mysterious or miraculous.

Jesus as a enternal being I have yet to really make a decision on.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting those links, Bob. I had forgotten where my "fax-spamming God/Storming heaven one bit at at time..." post was--It's sacrilicious!!!, top of page 3.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn and Ela, if God doesn't exist as a separate entity from the universe, then does the God concept really add anything conceptually?

Not trying to put you on the spot, just curious.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys pretty much said it:

quote:
I believe that God knows me, knows who I am, and forgives me when I fail after doing my best.
quote:
i.e. that even God cannot forgive someone who refuses to admit they have done anything wrong...
I think when I ask for forgiveness he forgives me and forgets it. I've always been taught to "take my problems to the Lord and leave them there." [Big Grin] Pretty nifty.
He's probably thinking, "Dang it, not another problem from that one. [Razz]

quote:
I believe that everything good comes from God.
*nods*

quote:
As a result, I try to live a life that I won't be ashamed of and I try my best to rely on Christ to help me overcome the rest.
Lovely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think that God is indeed merciful but I think he also punishes us sometimes. Let's just say I don't want to see what happens when I make him mad.

What exactly do mormons believe? about God, Jesus, the afterlife?

-just tryin' to get the scoop on other religions

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you mean that people who are convinced there is no God do wrong when they try to persuade others of what you yourself believe to be the truth?
Yes, Destineer, that's exactly what I mean.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tater: there's a thread going on about Mormon beliefs on the other side right now. You could also go to mormon.org for official answers from the Church. [Smile]

[ February 19, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Destineer
Member # 821

OK, I find that pretty weird, David. If you think believing in God is essential to living a good life, why don't you believe in God? And if you don't think it's essential to living a good life, why isn't it better that more people believe the truth?

I guess my own opinion is that in the end, nothing bad will come of people learning what the world is really like.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this be in the It's Sacrilicious! thread? That's where my beliefs come from.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you think believing in God is essential to living a good life, why don't you believe in God?

Well, the obvious answer is that David really believes in God, but doesn't want to admit it. [Smile] A less obvious answer is that he thinks he's so much better than other people that he doesn't need the crutch he thinks they need.

I think the real answer, though, is that David feels that having people of deep faith around benefits him, and would like to see that status quo maintained even if it means maintaining a falsehood.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
I think the real answer, though, is that David feels that having people of deep faith around benefits him, and would like to see that status quo maintained even if it means maintaining a falsehood.
Right, or that having people of faith around is beneficial to everyone. My problem with this whole approach is that if it's necessary for people to belief falsehoods in order to live well, we'll never be able to really have accurate knowledge about whether we are living well. That sounds kind of garbled, so let me try to unpack it.

Suppose that in fact there is no God, but people are much better off if they believe that there is one. Suppose further that if God does exist, to live well is to live according to His commandments, but if he doesn't exist then to live well is to live in some evolutionarily successful way, as David has suggested.

If all of this is true, then it will be impossible for people to live well and to know that they are living well. If they believe in God, they will believe that they're living well, but for the wrong reasons. If they don't believe in God, they might know what it is to live well, but they won't be able to do so. I guess such a scenario is possible, but it amounts to a sort of moral skepticism: if we're going to live worthwhile lives, we can only do so if we're ignorant of what it is to live well!

Again, I suppose I'm optimistic in assuming we can both know the truth about our world and live virtuous lives.

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don’t know about this. I don’t think it benefits me personally in a direct way, as people of faith tend to look upon atheists with opprobrium. And, given the conflict between different peoples of faith, faith itself may not always be beneficial to the social fabric. However, I suppose to some extent I am inclined to believe that faith in a God is on average better for society than widespread lack of that faith would be, as I don’t think we have the structures in place for society to function smoothly without the cohesiveness the memetic complex “faith” provides communities. In addition, I don’t think there exists a well developed system for providing happiness and stability in people’s lives that comes anywhere close to being as successful as religious faith does. The fact that every atheist has to develop something on her own only underlines for me how impossible a world of atheists is at this moment.

quote:
if it's necessary for people to belief falsehoods in order to live well, we'll never be able to really have accurate knowledge about whether we are living well. That sounds kind of garbled, so let me try to unpack it.
Suppose that in fact there is no God, but people are much better off if they believe that there is one. Suppose further that if God does exist, to live well is to live according to His commandments, but if he doesn't exist then to live well is to live in some evolutionarily successful way, as David has suggested.

If all of this is true, then it will be impossible for people to live well and to know that they are living well. If they believe in God, they will believe that they're living well, but for the wrong reasons. If they don't believe in God, they might know what it is to live well, but they won't be able to do so. I guess such a scenario is possible, but it amounts to a sort of moral skepticism: if we're going to live worthwhile lives, we can only do so if we're ignorant of what it is to live well!

All of the above, in my personal view, is undercut by the inescapable fact that “living well” and “wrong reasons” will always be relative terms. As there is no cosmic “right” and “wrong” or “well” and “poorly,” and given the fact that, like it or not, every atheist and agnostic in the world lives by a moral code that is STRONGLY rooted in historical religious belief, for me to insist that people give up their faith in exchange for my “virtual truth” about the meaning and purpose of human life is not only arrogant, it’s insane. There isn’t a dilemma here: I’ve tried to say many times that, on the whole, the commandments of most gods and what is “evolutionarily successful” overlap, that the latter induced the creation of the former.

quote:
Again, I suppose I'm optimistic in assuming we can both know the truth about our world and live virtuous lives.
And I’d point you at our recent rehashing of virtue and morality, and ask you whether you really, really believe that virtue would have evolved culturally outside the framework of faith. I assert that it could not have, and I don’t think we’ve reached the point that we can abandon faith, as a species, and hope to survive. I’m trying to imagine what pogrom would have to be implemented to convince 8 billion people to give up their faith. It simply is not going to happen. This is not the moment in our evolution for it. When it is time for us to move beyond faith, or more precisely, when faith evolves into something more powerful, then we will be closer to the atheist utopia that some of my friends naively believe could exist now.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that God is a by-product of our internal search for purpose.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

And where does that need to search come from?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The interstellar platypus, eternal enemy of the interstallar purple panda.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And where does that need to search come from?
I believe it is a function of intelligence or inquisitiveness. Our desire to answer questions about the world around us originally begat religion. I think that religion was a precursor to science. Please don't misconstrue this as any sort of attack on those of you that enjoy faith.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that I'll eventually have to face everything I've ever done, good and bad. This is not a rational assertion, but more of a gut thing.

Whoever/whatever is in charge of that reflection (be it me, another being, some committee of beings, or what have you) would probably be what I'd call God.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.