FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Oscars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Oscars
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so surprised that there's no topic on this yet. I'm glad The Incredibles won. It seems obvious, but these people can surprise me sometimes. I think it should have at least been nominated for best picture, but it was a cartoon, so it can't be that good, right?

Is this the first time that all the nominees have been computer animated?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Incredibles!
I bet JD will not win again and that makes me sad, but at least he won't have to go up in front of everyone because he said that is so embarassing.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

And The Passion just lost one of its token nominations. I wonder if it gets anything. The score was good, but it's up against John Williams.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Depp doesn't have a chance at winning this year. He did a great job, but to be realistic, he won't win.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

JD?

[edit: Ooh, JD. [Smile] ]

Yeah, I'm still mad about last year's supporting actor category. He was so much better than Sean Penn. But then, so were Ben Kingsley and Bill Murray. Every year leaves me boiling about something, and that was it.

Wonder what it'll be this year.

[ February 27, 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus Depp, of course.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha! Edna Mode is hilarious! That was a stroke of genius.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, Johnny. I'm so glad they're doing this. [Smile]
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to watch it.. then when I turned to it, it was Pierce Brosnan with some animated thing. I changed the channel.
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

What's up with Beyonce doing every song? And was that Phantom song the most boring thing you've ever heard?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tom's movie won. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

And there goes Passion's second award. Maybe Mel should have taken OSC's advice and pulled it from the running.

Looks like Aviator is this year's Lord of the Rings.

Speed
Member # 5162

By the way, what's Tom's movie?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Ryan, for best animated short. Tom was nice enough to bring the film to my attention on his salon.com thread. [Smile]

And thanks to Chris for providing the non-salon link for the movie:

http://www.nfb.ca/oscars2005/nfbpop2.html

[ February 27, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Let me guess. Sound mixing goes to... The Aviator!

[edit: Wow, it finally lost one. [Eek!] ]

[ February 27, 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Speed
Member # 5162

YES!!! Another award for The Incredibles!

[Party]

Speed
Member # 5162

And Santana!
[The Wave]
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

I didn't have any strong feelings in this category, but now I do. This is a good song. Of course, it's almost cheating; Carlos can make any song sound fantastic. But still, I know which one I'm rooting for now.

[ February 27, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing Santana up there makes this the first time I've enjoyed watching a musical performance at the Oscars.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree completely. I think that it sounded like crap. Someone was mixing the instruments poorly and Santana was playing just random crap that totally clashed with the song. Also, Banderas was frequently off in a way that had me wondering if he was even listening to the song.

Ah well, it certainly can't be worse than Beyonce singing every effing song in a manner totally inappropriate to the style of the song.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

I thought the sound fit the voice, but so it goes.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm with you, Heffaji. I love Santana. It wasn't Black Magic Woman, but it was a good performance. Way better than anything else I've seen so far tonight.

[ February 27, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Speed
Member # 5162

Wow, that surprised me. Of course, The Passion soundtrack somehow managed to come across as a bit shrill and overbearing on the movie and then somewhat dull and uninspiring on CD. Not a bad score but not great. I love James Newton Howard, but I don't remember the music that well. And I liked the Harry Potter soundtrack, but John Williams has enough Oscars, and it really wasn't the best thing he's ever done. And the music for Finding Neverland was really very good... so good that it did its job perfectly without drawing any attention to itself, which is why I'm so surprised that the academy noticed it. Surprised, but not disappointed. If Johnny can't win best actor, at least that movie can get something now.

I guess this means that The Passion isn't going to win anything. C'est la vie.

[ February 28, 2005, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Speed
Member # 5162

Now that was a cool acceptance speech.

[edit for clarification: The one for best song.]

[ February 27, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Heffaji
Member # 3669

"She's also the first female actress to be nominated for playing a boxer"

I'd say the announcer was trying to be funny, but that isn't exactly an Oscar announcer's forte.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Hey, she thanked her lawyers. Don't see that very often. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Right on! Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was an amazing script... I fully expected it to lose.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Eternal Sunshine won the screenplay nod!! I think that's a good thing.

And I was so totally annoyed by Hillary Swank. She's so tacky.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time Charlie Kaufman won an Oscar.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! (Best Actor win)

(Incidentally) I knew, intellectually, that Charlie Kaufman was a real person, but had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he doesn't look like Nic Cage. Ha!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I am loving Jamie Foxx's acceptance speech. [Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, they wouldn't dare 'play the music' on him cause he's so genuine and funny. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
\\"She's also the first female actress to be nominated for playing a boxer"

I'd say the announcer was trying to be funny, but that isn't exactly an Oscar announcer's forte. //

People involved with the oscars love meaningless trivia like that.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

Yeah, its just that this piece of trivia was so utterly pointless. How many movies of Oscar-caliber are about female boxers? How many of that amount of zero have been nominated?

(Waits for someone to point out a great movie that fits everything I used in a weak attempt at humor)

[ February 27, 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Heffaji ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Hrm. Best picture is kind of annoying. Those that have seen it, do you think it deserved that Oscar?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Well, Michelle Rodriguez was pretty awesome in Girlfight.

[Wink]

Heffaji
Member # 3669

Grumble, Grumble.

Of all the movie themes to close the show, Terminator 2? Not that I'm complaining, but it still surprises me.

Narnia
Member # 1071

They played some of the weirdest themes during the whole show...The Fugitive? Star Trek:TNG?

And I had no idea that Jerry Goldsmith had died!!!

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Grumble .... No Desperate Housewives tonight?

I thought it was interesting when they used the Star Trek theme during the first commercial cutaway. The camera panned over to the TV monitors on the roof, which looked like the Enterprise's saucer section. [Smile]

Heffaji
Member # 3669

Whenever the annual "Who Died" moment appears, I always think back to school where they forbid us to applaud until everyone had finished so we wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Several things struck me about this Awards Show, winners and losers aside.

The new format made it clear who was important, and who the Academy didn't give a rat's behind about, most notable the short films and the widely insulted "lesser" awards. Those that spend hours of dedicated time making the fiddly-bits of the movie. Thank goodness that one guy stood up in his speech and said they were actually artistic awards.

On the same vein, the crew of the awards made several errors, dropping things behind the stage (a few "bangs" were heard as things were dropped), and the 'sets' for the songs were less than inspiring.

The performers of the songs were very oddly chosen, almost as if the person choosing them had no idea about the original song itself. The song from Les Choristes which is one of the most beautiful choral pieces I've ever heard, and the solo as sung in the movie is heavenly. Beyonce was totally and utterly wrong for it. Nothing could ruin the song completely, but it looked like the Producers of the Oscars really tried hard to. It's as if there is a mental block that divides good from classical. So many classically-trained adult voices would have suited that song better than Beyonce's.

Thank goodness the only song sung and performed by people who, although not stunning, fitted the songs they sung, won.

The music chosen for between the presentations seemed to be chosen from the sorts of movies that do not win awards. The people I watched the show with were perplexed by what was playing, seemingly totally randomly chosen.

The overwhelming theme of this show seemed to ppopularize, popularize, popularize. I thought that wasn't possible, after all the Oscars have been pretty focused on glamour for their entire history. But it seemed to be there in full force- bright simple colours, shunted less-popular awards, badly executed technical and artistic choices for the show and finally bad funny.

Chris Rock was funny. Kind of. His schpiel at the start was confusing; something mumbled about Michael Moore and Bush? I didn't understand what the joke was. The interviewing of people asking them their favourite movie was utterly and completely childish and lame.

All in all, they could have done much better. And they didn't.

(And there were no Hobbits, only an elf, the last remnant of three wonderful years. It makes me sad...)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They played some of the weirdest themes during the whole show...The Fugitive? Star Trek:TNG?
I watched the Oscars at a Film Committee party and when the TNG theme came on, we all kind of looked at each other and thought "What the hell...?" The only Next Generation-era film nominated was First Contact for makeup. And it didn't win.

Overall, though, I was pretty pleased with the Oscars this year. I thought it was going to be a sweep for The Aviator, but I guess Scorcese is just a master of creating the almost-there epic. Oh well.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow, a whole Oscar night without a single decision that pissed me off. Of course, with the possible exception of The Incredibles (which did as well as I could reasonably have hoped for), there wasn't really anything that I felt very strongly about this year. Oh, there were some good movies, but no Pulp Fiction or Crouching Tiger for me to really get behind. No songs (like last year's A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow) or performances (Like Bill Murray's) that I especially liked, or performances (like Sean Penn's) that I especially hated. Just wasn't that interesting a year for me. Some of the movies nominated were fine. And there were some great movies not in the scope of the Oscars this year. (I'm sure I'll be watching Shaun of the Dead and Team America long after I've forgotten The Aviator.) But in all I don't think I'll be remembering this year in movies as vividly as some years past.

So no big disappointments, other than the fact that there was nothing I was willing to be disappointed over.

[ February 28, 2005, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think Chris Rock's introduction of Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek was totally insulting and uncalled for? (He announced them, saying, "you won't be able to take your eyes of these next four presenters.") Butthead.

I really liked Salma's introduction of the Spanish tune. Totally moving.

And then there was Prince, who mispronounced every single name he read. [Roll Eyes]

I was very not-impressed with just about everything, but happy with the score and song awards.

I remember when I was little and Billy Crystal was the host. Remember when he came out like Hannibal Lecter and sang songs about all the nominees? That was worth watching. Chris Rock was just... a disappointment.

And a butthead.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I have to admit that I didn't get that joke, but now I do I think that it was very insulting.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Especially when it was such an empowering moment for the hispanics there. Talk about being racially insensitive.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

By the way, just for the record the Star Trek: TNG theme heard in the broadcast was the theme for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. And Jerry Goldsmith got a nomination for it in 1980. So maybe it wasn't so random. [Smile]

[ February 28, 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Annie
Member # 295

I feel a little juvenile for noticing, but the humanitarian award part used the theme from The Land Before Time.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you find it at all incongruous to chastise someone for being racially insensitive in the same post that you use the word "hispanic"? Every latino I've ever talked to about it hates that word.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to say anything, but yeah, it's latina. I'm think the only way Rock could have made it racial was if he called them maracas, but I think refering to woman's breasts should be taken as a man refering to a woman's breasts. Not that that makes it better, unless they were just flopping all over the stage. The question is, would he have made that same joke with Nicole Kidman and Teri Hatcher.

[ February 28, 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.