FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Oscars (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Oscars
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I used hispanic because a large number of the people featured (Banderas, the entire crew of The Sea Inside) were from Spain which is, incidentally, not in Latin America.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... hooters hot wings.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Billy Crystal too. [Frown]

Chris Rock can be funny, but most of his funnies come from anger. Unless he is allowed to go on some kind of tirade, Chris Rock is just another comedian.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the point was that it was racist so much as that it was disrespectful. The only thing that may have made it racist was the fact that it was made during a landmark occasion in the Latin-American culture. What would Chris Rock have said if the guy that introduced Halle Berry as she won the Oscar told her to walk her fine can up to the stage to accept its' prize?

[ February 28, 2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
This is true.

Edit:

Rock wouldn't have done jack, though. Remember, he doesn't even watch the Oscars. Someone else would have been upset, I imagine. I didn't see it, but I'm sure the comment was as vulgar as has been presented.

[ February 28, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'd like to see Jon Stewart present next year's Oscars. He's got the kind of wry, respectful cynicism that really works here.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the memo on hispanic, too. What is the problem with that term?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart would be great, but he's too principled for the Oscars. His whole schtick centers around mercilessly mocking artifice in modern media, and there's no bigger source of fawning crap than the Oscars.

I could see it if he pulled a "Crossfire" on the Oscars (that is, calling them out on their own broadcast), but I definitely can't imagine him saying "And our next presenters are..." with a straight face.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see others sharing in my love for The Incredibles. [Smile] That and Finding Neverland are the only two that I felt strongly about this year.

I was also happy that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind got Best Screenplay.

So why did Beyonce get to sing three songs? Why couldn't they have just had the original singers singing their own songs? Josh Groban was awesome, when I was able to tune out Beyonce.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Grumble .... No Desperate Housewives tonight?"

Beren, I had the same thought, and turned off the tv. Since I watch about three movies a year, and they are all PG or under, it just doesn't interest me anymore.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me Liz, you did not miss a thing. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Very broadly speaking, "Hispanic" refers to people in the U.S. who came originally from Spanish-speaking countries (including Spain); "Latino" refers to people originally from Latin America."
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/forum/october02/ncmedia_2.html

This was the simplest quote I could find. The rest of the article(letter) is interesting, though.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I was dissapointed with this year's oscars. Not so much with the results..but with the execution. For example, I really disliked the giving awards out in the audience. These people deserve to come on stage. Also, I missed seeing all the clips of the nominations. When they announce the animation shorts...I want to see the lil' clips. Sometimes these clips make me want to go to the animation festivals to see the rest. Ditto on all the other categories.

I also didn't like the whole line people up on stage while announcing. I'd rather see the video or hear audio (depending on category) with a quick flash of the nominee in the audience.

I also agree with an earlier poster about it being very strange that Beyonce sang nearly every song. What is up with that?? Why not have the artist that performed the song in the movie perform?? Could you imagine if last year Beyonce sang "into the west" from Lord of the Rings?

My two cents...

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, it really seemed like they didn't want to waste any time having techies walk to the stage, so they either had the awards in the audience or made them walk on stage. I didn't like it, and I didn't like the flashback to the 70s background.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Handing the awards out the in audience was terrible. The woman who won for the short film clearly did not feel welcome to give a speech. Bravo the guy who followed her for taking his sweet time.

Beyonce did well in ONE song, the song where Josh Groban tanked (sorry, Pat). Learn to be Lonely should have been so much better, and the song from The Chorus sounded terrible. It should have been sung by someone with a voice as clear and sweet as a bell. I like Beyonce's voice (she CAN actually sing), but it was all wrong for the music. So sad. Whose bright idea was it to have her sing every female part possible?

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to say that Baby Geniuses 2 was robbed. Robbed!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally I'd like to see Jon Stewart present next year's Oscars. He's got the kind of wry, respectful cynicism that really works here.
I though I have no idea who this is, my friend recommmended this to the room and everyone agreed that he'd be perfect for the job but would never do it/would never get picked to do it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the show was really boring. Chris Rock seemed to be censored or something. I usually find him pretty funny, but last night all of his jokes fell flat.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, if you have cable, you can see Jon Stewart every weeknight on the Daily Show, 11:00 PM EST on Comedy Central.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd worry that Stewart would be too dry. Didn't Ellen Degeneris do it a few years back? What I do remember of Billy Crystal was his energy. I do agree that Rock was an improper choice. My hold on these is fuzzy, but I remember liking Ellen. I imagine that the Academy should pick someone who likes and respects the kind of movies that get nominated. I think they should stick with funny actors. Someone entrenched and familiar and associated with movies. Someone like Steve Martin. My read on Rock was, while he may have liked Ray, I can't imagine him giving a hoot about any of the other movies.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Martin was fabulous, but Chris Rock was, well, lame.

I wish I had a better term for it, but lame is just what his performance was. Lifeless, unfunny, strained and stretched.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
He seemed nervous.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I would be too. By my reckoning, The Aviator was up for a million awards, there is a fifty percent chance that he didn't see it, and an eighty-five percent chance that he didn't know or care who Howard Hughes was.

I'd love to see him do and uncensored set on his Academy Awards experience. That would be funny.

[ February 28, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, thanks for the link. What I got from it is that it's really a non-issue. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood how people can sit and watch the entire show. It just seems rather pointless to watch person after person go up an thank everyone for supporting them.

I am sometimes mildly interested in who won, so I just check cnn the next day.

Heck, I am a big sports fan...and I don't even watch sports awards shows.

I guess I am just not patient to sit around and watch anything for that long.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of wish they'd just announce the winners at the award ceremony instead of listing nominees and dragging out the whole lame dull process.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think that Robin Williams completely upstaged Chris Rock when he went up there to present an award?

And I also recognised the Land Before Time Theme. That was really cool [Smile]

Beyonce drove me nuts. Completely nuts. She didn't fit any of the songs she did. Antonio Bandaras and Carlos Santana were ok... but the guy sang it better when he got up to accept his award. Counting Crows I thought gave the best onstage performance there, but even they sounded stilted and bad up there. They were certainly entertaining though.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about Oscar hosts is that it's better if they can be funny without being too mean, and Chris Rock did not succeed at this. I have thought of two people who would be [would have been] supremely good Oscar hosts.

They are Ellen Degeneres and Oscar Wilde. The first of these is obviously a good choice for an Oscar host. And I'm not saying Oscar Wilde would be good just because I'm writing a biography of him. He really would have been good. If he had lived thirty years more, he could have done it, and it would have been the kind of thing he was remarkably good at.

So if anyone wants to resurrect someone to be an Oscar host, I vote for Oscar Wilde.

Jen

Edit: Also, they have the same name.

[ February 28, 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Wow, Jen. Your post sounded a lot like Jack Handey. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
She's good enough.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Liz, thanks for the link. What I got from it is that it's really a non-issue."

SS, it is not a non-issue for Brazilians, though, who speak Portuguese.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I can't imagine Oscar Wilde being bothered with something like this.

I say they offer Jamie Foxx a six year contract. He is humble enough to host after winning the highest prize.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I kind of wish they'd just announce the winners at the award ceremony instead of listing nominees and dragging out the whole lame dull process.
I watch it for the movie clips and the pretty clothes. Which, incidentally is also the reason I watch the Star Wars movies. I couldn't care less who wins.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I watch it just in case by surprise U2 gets an award.
Fyfe
Member # 937

Irami--Oscar Wilde would love to do the Oscars. It would be a perfect showcase of his talents, and he'd know it. I feel. Pity he died.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Fyfe,

Oscar Wilde was born in 1854. Double you tee eff, mate?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

PC--I know, on 16 October, and he died on 30 November 1900. I just meant that if he had lived, he'd have been a good Oscar host. He'd only have had to have lived another 30 years or so. Wretched Bosie lived until 1945.

Jen

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I would be more likely to watch an Oscar show that completely neglected the "major" categories and only focused on the technical awards, but made a point of giving us bios and backgrounds on the technical winners.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd be just as likely. They are all important, but I'd love to see the 'small' awards being treated equally and not called the most boring etc.

Yeah, they should do a short rundown of the costumes, art direction, cinematography that the person who is nominated did.

i.e. "in such and such a movie, so and so focussed on the blah de blah and led a team of artisans to..."

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I say they offer Jamie Foxx a six year contract. He is humble enough to host after winning the highest prize.
I don't think I can get enough Jamie Foxx. I loved his stint on The Actors' Studio, and now I'm itchin' for a tape of it.

And man, Ray was brilliant. Probably my favorite starring performance ever. Jimminy, has this guy ever been short-changed in roles before.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.