FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » March Madness Hatrack Bracket Pick’em (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: March Madness Hatrack Bracket Pick’em
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So who will be the Hatrack champ? Who will pick the winners?

This will be something fun to keep the fantasy baseball players happy while we wait for the season to start!

I’ve set up a Hatrack Fantasy Tournament Pick’em league on Yahoo. It’s free. It’s fun. If you’ve never played it’s very easy and you really don’t have to do much. All you have to do is pick the winner’s of the game for each level of the NCAA tournament. You can’t make your picks yet. Have to wait for the silly selection committee to set the tournament.

Is it ok to say go Mountaineers! I know I know. Bubble team. Might not even get in.

So here’s the email Yahoo usually sends out with an invite:

You have been invited to join jaytrek25's Private Group in Yahoo! Sports Yahoo! Sports Tournament Pick'em.
In order to join the group, just go to the game front page and click on the "Sign Up" button to create a team. After completing registration, or if you already have a team, click the "Create or Join Group" button and follow the path to join an existing private group. Then, when prompted, enter the following information...
Group ID#: 6608
Password: osc

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to it! I'm in. *hoping that WNY has 3 teams in the tourney*
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in..

But if the same thing happens here that happened in the foolball one I will be pissed.

Not saying that you can't win, Carrie...just that I better be able to make my picks stick. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

It's alright - I only am good at picking football. Basketball is almost beyond me.

Almost.

[Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny part about that was that I was doing great before it crashed on me....the weeks it didn't work were high winning weeks for me at the end.

I only had one bad week the whole season, and consistantly picked 11-13 points correct the weeks it was down. I even began e-mailing my picks, so that it would be obvious that it was the systems fault not mine....but it wasn't worth it.

Why couldn't have refused my picks on the bad week? [Razz]

[ March 03, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Fun fun fun.

Let's goooooooo Mountaineers!

Bust that bubble and get in!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
:: has never even heard of the Mountaineers.... ::

[Taunt]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! The Civic Minded Five!

"Let's Make A Difference!"

They were the best... god I miss that show...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I wonder who that is.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
No clue, Oh nigh invulnerable one...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeeSea
Member # 7450

- posted      Profile for BeeSea   Email BeeSea         Edit/Delete Post 
No need for bracket breakdown. Who comes in 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant. Illinois is gonna take 1st. [Wink]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I think my Utes just might have their best run since '98.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Fun fun fun.

Don’t know who the Mountaineers are? Well, might be fun for a Kansas-WVU game then huh!

By the way, 10 people in so far. Why aren’t you in?!?

Jay
Member # 5786

11 in now. Where are Tom and King of Men? Need some fun non political time with them!

Don't forget, you don't have to know a thing about basketball to pick. Heck, if you haven't watched a game all year you can still make picks!

Let’s gooooooooo Mountaineers! Have to beat Seaton Hall tomorrow and that should bust the bubble.

Jay
Member # 5786

Nooooooo!!!!! WVU lost. Flush... there goes our NCAA chances. Oh well. No dance for us this year.

Guess it'll make my picks easier since I won't have to worry about picking against them.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The Illini actually finally lost a game!

Of course, so did KU this weekend..... [Frown]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. The Illini did lose didn't they? And who was that team that beat them? That's right! THE Ohio State Buckeyes. Way to go Coach Matta. Since this is the only thing I really have to be happy about in a season when the Bucks are banned from the big dance, I was out of my mind excited about it.

By the way I am definately in on the bracket challenge and I as well will not have to worry about picking against my beloved buckeyes.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm stoked about not having to pick the Tarheels to lose this year. Not even in the championship!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
While I am disapointed that the Illini lost to Ohio, I see it as an opportunity. Bruce Weber will surely use the lessons from the game to motivate the team to not assume that they have the game wrapped up at half time like they have done a few times this year. The difference this time is that Ohio was able to capitalize on it and get a win whereas in certain other games their opponent either did not or were not able to take advantage of it.

I will still be picking Illinois to go all the way this year, and that is because I think that Illinois has the right combination of talent, attitude, coaching, and drive to beat any team that they go up against. They can still lose if they let the attitude and drive slack off as shown by the Ohio game, but I don't think that any team can beat them when they bring all aspects of their game onto the court.

I could easily see an Illini-Tar Heels final game or an Illini-Kansas final game.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I agree that the Illini will probably win it all, they are a great team, as they have shown all year long.

But I must disagree with you about one thing. They lost to The Ohio State Buckeyes, not the Ohio bobcats. Two extremely different teams. Just as Illinois and Illinois State are two very different teams. [Smile]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I must disagree with you about one thing. They lost to The Ohio State Buckeyes, not the Ohio bobcats. Two extremely different teams. Just as Illinois and Illinois State are two very different teams.
You are right of course. A friend of mine and his wife are Ohio State allumni and I always refer to the Ohio State teams as Ohio instead of Ohio State to get their goat. I hadn't intended to do that here, but it seems that force of habit can be stronger than intentions. I also notice that I said "Tar Heels" instead of "Tarheels". That was simply an accident and I have no excuse for mangling their team name.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

quote:
it seems that force of habit can be stronger than intentions
Very true, as shown by my immediately jumping on the fact that you got it wrong. I tend to do that without thinking as well. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Frown] I don't know why I am playing now.

KU probably won't do very well in the bracket now that they've just one of their leading players, Keith Langford, to an injury in Sunday's game. Might as well hang it up right now with him missing from playtime...

Farmgirl

Jay
Member # 5786

You play to get the best picks!!
There are 13 people in now. Sweet.
WVU can still make the dance if they beat Providence tomorrow at the Big East tournament. I hope so, but I won’t be holding my breath. Well, I guess I might hold it during a few 3 point shots!
So get on in, join up, and be ready to pick after selection Sunday this weekend.

Jay
Member # 5786

Have I bumped this recently? Such madness……..
Jay
Member # 5786

Big East Tournament today:
West Virginia 82, Providence 59

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?story=7617&cat=exclusives (just like my politics, a biased site)

Tomorrow we take on BC at Noon. Those traitors who are going to the ACC. I doubt we have a chance to win, but it would be soooooo wonderful to win. I just hope we don’t do something embarrassing.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I guess Jay isn't on yet, otherwise he'd be posting about this. WVU 78, BC 72.
Jay
Member # 5786

WVU Defeats BC, Moves Into Uncharted Territory

Yeah Buddy! Gotta love it! The Sport's Garden was packed. I think everyone had the same long lunch idea. We didn't get our lunch until 5 minutes left in the game. What a great game. How exciting. Can I put in a fake pick in the pick'em with WVU winning it all?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My Oakland University Grizzlies beat Oral Roberts to make it into the NCAA tournament for the first time ever. So, though I fear they will probably lose, I champion them all the same!

GO GRIZZLIES!!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Well, to trumpet local teams...Niagara has it's first bid in 35 years! Buffalo will most likely get in, especially if they keep winning in the MAC tournament. Go Purple Eagles and Bulls!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Watching the Big 12 tournament while at work...

anyone else watching games?

Farmgirl

Jay
Member # 5786

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200503110617
West Virginia 78, Villanova 76
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?story=7630&cat=exclusives

We play the winner of the Syracuse UConn game:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200503110129

Tomorrow for the Big East Championship!!!!!

And I'm going!! Leaving to go to NYC tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM for the 8:00 PM game. Sweetness.

[ March 11, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Jay
Member # 5786

It's all set. Make your picks.

Let's go Mountaineers!

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
That riotous cackling sound yesterday was the NCAA selection committee as they gleefully stuck Utah in the same bracket with Kentucky ONCE AGAIN.

What do they have against us? Really, I want to know.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Picks are set. Good luck!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Grumble] still working on writing them all out on my paper bracket before I put my picks online [Grumble]

and it doesn't help that I know nothing about any team that isn't in the Big 12. The Big 12 teams I do follow...

FG

Jay
Member # 5786

Got this email from Yahoo.

The tournament selections have been made official, so you are now able to make your picks for this year's Yahoo! Sports Tournament Pick'em competition.

You can make and change your picks as often as you like, but your final picks must be submitted by five minutes before the first game tips off on Thursday, March 17.

Thanks for playing and good luck.

So FG you can do them online and keep changing them. No one else can see your picks until after everything is locked.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oakland University Grizzlies beat Alabama A&M to make it to the tournament for the first time ever. We play North Carolina friday.

GO GRIZZLIES!!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I made my picks. I don't really follow college ball though so winning for me will be pretty much dumb luck. Making picks on the games makes them more fun to watch though. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Hurry! Last chance to get in or change your picks. Fun! Good luck everyone.

May the best Mountaineers Picks win!

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I picked the OSU Cowboys to go all the way.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Hurry! You've still got until right around noon to get in!

19 picks in so far. Wouldn't you like to be the one who knows nothing about NCAA BB and win it all!

Where's OSC? Puppy? Tom? KoM? We need your picks!

Carrie
Member # 394

My picks are pretty much crap, but hey - it could be the one!
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 4 for 4 so far! Anyone else call the Alabama upset?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 3 for 4 - I went with Alabama, home town team and all that.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Nope, I didn't predict the Alabama upset either. So it's my first "strike" against me.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Picked the wrong 12 over 5 upset.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Niagara let me down, too, although from the sounds of it they gave it a good shot.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.