FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lurkers' Challenge (or Lurkers Anonymous) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lurkers' Challenge (or Lurkers Anonymous)
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Which one of you lurkers have the lowest combined member number and number of posts? Off the top of my head, my guess is Yozhik (1152 + 89 = 1241). Of course, since I can remember Yozhik's name off the top of my head, he is probably not much of a lurker. [Smile]

Is it dumb to expect any responses from people, who, by definition, do not post on forums? Probably. Is this is a shameless excuse for me to meet me some Hatrack lurkers? Absolutely. [Razz]

[ March 07, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lurker and proud of it. Though posting here might detract from my lurker status...
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Yay! I caught my first lurker. [Smile]

*leaves out milk and cookies to attract more*

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you lost this.

*hands Beren an ' *

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider myself a lurker. I'd say I'm half and half. I lurk about 50% of the time I'm on Hatrack. I usually try to post as much as I can thoguh. It's fun.

[ March 06, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go ahead and set the bar at #1420 + 75 posts = 1495.

I'm sure there are many who can severely beat me, my member number is relatively high... [Frown]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes beren's hand*

*snarfs cookies*

As a lurker, I didn't really get as much satisfaction as I did as a poster. (can't count much beyond fingers toes and whatsisits)

*gulps milk*

[erasure of the posters former-style exit adieu]

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Well, there are definitely different (and better measures) of lurkerhood. Lucky4 comes in at a nice 1.47 posts per month. Very hard to beat I think. [Smile]

Aside from posting your awesome stats, perhaps you can tell us a tiny bit about yourselves if you haven't introduced yourself to the forum yet.

[Hat]

The rivka, you're just jealous because you'd come in last place in this contest. [Taunt]

[ March 06, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Cry]

. . . no, wait! Second to last!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
shameless is right!

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
A little about myself, eh? For starters, I really like cookies and milk, so thanks for that. [Big Grin] (just ignore the chocolate between my teeth and the milk mustache...)

Let's see. Started reading OSC in Spring of 2000, starting lurking that summer, and finally registered just after Christmas. I figured out the other day that if I continue at this pace, you can all look for my first landmark in the year 2067. I lurk because I'm shy. Of course, people who know me well would eagerly dare to differ, but I'm usually reserved in large groups of people who don't know me. It's been a life-long defense mechanism thing. [Smile]

For now, I'm a graduate student studying nursing in Nashville, TN. Hopefully I'll be an Adult/Geriatric Nurse Practitioner in about 5 months. I love old people. I'm also interested in Infectious Diseases, particularly HIV. I'll be going to a conference this coming week in Atlanta, as a matter of fact, for HIV care providers. Because of the conference's location, I get to go to WenchCon, which I am very excited about! I'm also more than a little nervous, what with being so shy and a lurker and all.

Cool thread idea, Beren, and thanks for asking about me. I'm excited to hear from my fellow lurkers!

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to say Lucky, that shyness thing isn't going to last.

Part of the social agenda, I believe, included something involving clubbing and fetish boots.

You have been warned.

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

P.S. We're also dressing up Ophelia in make-shift Dwarf fashions for the LotR fashion show.

Who's bringing the digital camera?

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anzha
Member # 2060

- posted      Profile for Anzha           Edit/Delete Post 
::lurk::
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren,

What sorts of "stats" would the hatrack gamer accept as valid in this venue, as a suitable introduction?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if 554 posts over 4 years counts as lurking, but I'll post my score:
Member number: 1871 + Posts: 554 = 2425

I definitely feel like a lurker, though. I spend entirely too much time reading here. Oh, and I visited Hatrack regularly before finally registering in 2001. (Gosh...I could've sworn I registered before 2001... [Dont Know] )

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to figure out whether someone is a lurker? I think of myself as lurking here most of the time, but I wouldn't say my post count is low.

This is what happens when I look for my post count: I passed my third year anniversary on Friday!

I don't know whether I calculated correctly. Stress does strange things to my mind. I got 24.8 posts per month, including this post.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
I figured out the other day that if I continue at this pace, you can all look for my first landmark in the year 2067.
[ROFL]

By 2067, The rivka's post count would exceed the national debt and Shan will finally come to her senses and make her internet husband her IRL husband.

Wow, Anzha, your post/month rate is incredible (I have it at 0.26 per month, but I suck at math).

Alluvion, it looks like you have a healthy post count and probably will not qualify as a lurker. Please return any cookies you have taken from this thread. [Smile]

Or, if you would like to keep your cookies, tells us a bit about yourself (see Lucky4's post) or provide a link to your intro thread. I think a lot of times people hesitate to talk about themselves because "Hi I'm new" and Landmark threads are a bit intimidating.

[ March 07, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Tstorm, esl, you guys are definitely not lurkers. Your are household Hatrack names. Thanks for playing, and keep your paws off my cookies. [Razz]
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm a household Hatrack name! :shakes Tstorm's and Beren's hands: Thanks!

And what kind of cookies are these? I'm not really in a cookie mood for some reason. strangeness.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, since I can remember Yozhik's name off the top of my head, he is probably not much of a lurker.
Of course, Yozhik's a chick - so she's at least a decent lurker. [Smile]

I adore lurkers. I like to pretend they're all secretly in love with me, but too shy to come out with it. I take their silence as confirmation of my suspicions.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest lurker is Wendybird (84+526=610)

Her last post was March 05, 2005 01:28 PM in Where did PSI Teleport go? so she's still around.

[ March 07, 2005, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
ok. 1450+257=1707
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

The Ultimate Lurker is Belgarath. Member number 4 number of post 16 for a grand total of 20. Here's the relevant link

[ March 07, 2005, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

So is that Game, Set, Match for me? Did I win?
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk...I've been trying to change that...but no luck, so far
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
and... 6182 + 239 (240 by the time I finish)
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
he was an alt.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
urbanX, that wouldn't mean you had won, it would mean Belgarath had won.

Kwea, what makes you say he's an alt? *curious*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . no, wait! Second to last!
Darn skippy!

5818+11980=17798

I can only think of two or three who come in higher than that. Both Bob and Tom, possibly Kat depending on her member number.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I do ok with the member # + post count measure: 55 + 887 (including this post) = 942. So far looks like only WendyBird and Belgarath are ahead of me.

Then again, my # of posts per month is just over 12, which is borderline lurker. And if you look at just the last year (yes, I have a script that keeps track of my post count [Smile] ), my average goes up to 39.58 and change posts per month. That's more than once a day! I am so prolific. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not far off: 182 + 1283 = 1465. I imagine IanO is pretty high on the list, and he still posts from time to time - he was around in the Big Mouth Lion days with me and Tom and Annie and aka but he never posted much on the new forums, unlike the rest of us!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
1457!

[ March 07, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall when exactly I started lurking but I know it was a few months before I actually registered. I even remember trying to register...maybe December 2002-early 2003, and the board not letting in any new registrations.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Orson Scott Card ? His member number is 209 and he has only 22 posts (at least, under this screen name.....) [Big Grin]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
Did some one say my name. this was actualy my first log in name but i forgot it while i was posting over at VBS. i didn't remember this name until they started posting member numbers, then someone posted the four lowest member numbers and i was on the list. im sure everyone here can with a simple check find out what other user name i have. a small hint its my real name. [Big Grin] [Blushing] [Taunt]
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Actually, I thought of Mike when I came up with this thread. But I couldn't figure out his member number and Mike is a terrible search term for our dumbdumb search engine. [Smile]

[Hail] Belgarath

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. I appear to be 1629, and I'm taking one of those cookies whether you like it or not. Belgarath doesn't count, I think. You can't look people up, they have to post in this thread. Otherwise, they might not lurk. They might just be gone.

[ March 07, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: IdemosthenesI ]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, some little used names might be little-used alter-egos of regulars. I know I have a couple of those that more recent Hatrackers might not recognize... [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Belgarath isn't a real lurker? I am so disillusioned.

*pout*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dough-Bee
Member # 6874

- posted      Profile for Dough-Bee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Aw dang...I'm only 6876... [Frown]

[ March 07, 2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Dough-Bee ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fool of a Took
Member # 6039

- posted      Profile for Fool of a Took           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I fluff posted some, and joined sort of recently, so I probably have a high total number.

Edit: Yep...only 6055 total.

[ March 07, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Fool of a Took ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I thought of Mike when I came up with this thread. But I couldn't figure out his member number and Mike is a terrible search term for our dumbdumb search engine. [Smile]
[Big Grin] Yey, someone thought of me! [Party]

I guess the most reliable way of finding me (without my member number) is to create a thread like this. Or a thread about circuses or go. Sometimes I have trouble finding myself. [Eek!]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk a lot, but I don't do intro threads and I don't do landmark threads. I don't even know how many posts I have, and I've forgotten my member number. How's that?
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Moose
Member # 125

- posted      Profile for Uncle Moose   Email Uncle Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this one count?

--Unc

Posts: 114 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am fairly low on the post count but my member number is to high.

[ March 07, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 

I really need to engage more. I don't WANT to be such a lurker!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow. I think Sharpie wins! (All the ones with lower totals are alts who post frequently under other names.)
Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
I delight in lurker threads. They're usually the only threads I ever actually post in. (I'm only seven posts away from 50! And in only in 3.5 years of membership!)
Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
</delurk>
I too, lurk quite a bit, with most of my posts in the "Adjacent Thread Titles"thread. My member number (5527) is way to high to qualify for this contest, though my post count is under 100.
</lurk>

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.