FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lurkers' Challenge (or Lurkers Anonymous) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lurkers' Challenge (or Lurkers Anonymous)
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for saying "hi" lurkers. See, we don't bite, unless Ralphie orders us to. Except for Chveya, I remember seeing all of you on Hatrack before. Considering the enormous amount of time I invest in Hatrack, that's some quality lurking Chveya! [Smile]

quote:
I really need to engage more. I don't WANT to be such a lurker!
The rivka, should we show this lurker the way of the dark side? [Evil]

P.S. Thanks for the correction Ralphie. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat.

I went to dinner with John and two of his daughters the other night, one of whom I met for the first time that evening. His daughters (lovely and talented and wonderful, btw) were very talkative and engaged. They joked and teased, talked about school and friends and serious things.

And... I was quiet. I wasn't sullen or tongue-tied. I let the conversation move around me and watched how they were, how the three of them interacted. As I "got my bearings", I got more into the flow of the conversation(s). Later, though, I realized yet again that I'm just as much a lurker IRL as I am online.

Every few months, I declare that I'm going to lurk less, engage more, connect more. And I do, for a while. Luckily in real life I manage to make and keep some solid connections.

Okay, so I'm declaring it yet again [Smile] No more lurking for me!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Sharpie! [Big Grin]

Next step: start a thread. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpie, I so relate.

Maybe we should start a Lurker Support Group.

(Beren, you're in charge of refreshments for the meetings)

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I adore lurkers. I like to pretend they're all secretly in love with me, but too shy to come out with it. I take their silence as confirmation of my suspicions.
Wow. Was I being that obvious? I really didn't think my Ralphie-love showed. Well, since I've been outed, guess I'll have to post more...

As an aside, I do believe it was a Ralphie thread in which I made my first post, made all the more memorable because it was about hot men (I miss threads like that!).

But don't worry, it's not like I'm a stalker or anything. Really.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this one count?

--Unc

Wow, Moose, you only had 111 posts as Uncle Moose? For some reason I thought you had used that name longer.

And, no, that doesn't count. [No No]

If that counts, I'll start hauling out my little or never used alter-egos. [ROFL]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I still count as a lurker, but I just wanted to see who joined first, me or Hugh.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Welcome to Lurker's Anonymous.

*asks Shan for her famous cookie recipes*

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Well, I posted a lot last week, but I've been lurking for two days now! Does that count? I mean two days is a good quarter of my entire time here after all. Actually, I'm really not sure if I'll be a lurker or not. I'll probably go in binges... *runs off to hide again until something strikes her interest*
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And... I was quiet...Later, though, I realized yet again that I'm just as much a lurker IRL as I am online.
I am a "lurker" in real life. I listen. A lot. I have quite a reputation. Mostly because unless a topic that I have something to say something about comes up, I have nothing to say.

Here, more topics come up in which I can participate (especially the fluff [Smile] ) so I'm moe talkative.

At least, that's my theory.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By 2067, The rivka's post count would exceed the national debt and Shan will finally come to her senses and make her internet husband her IRL husband.

Whaddya want, bud? A public proposal? [Razz]

How about I make my famous cookies and bring 'em in person? Then maybe I could get one of these [Kiss] IRL from my internet-hubbie . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Woohoooo! Only 62 years to go until the big wedding. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

Phew! Weddings take sooooo much planning. Are you sure 62 years will be enough time? Should we add another few years just to be safe? Invitations, guest lists, caterers, tuxedos, gowns, venue, band, preacher, the list is endless!

*faints*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarthPaul
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for DarthPaul           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 74 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Hmmmm.... stealthy the dark side is. [Smile]

Shan ~ I leave the planning in your capable hands. [Razz]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, I was Uncle Moose for over two years, and stopped using it at 107 posts (then later added a few posts in threads of this ilk). So I was Uncle Moose for a reasonably long time, but I was indeed much more of a lurker -- less than one post per week.

--Unc, er, I mean Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As an aside, I do believe it was a Ralphie thread in which I made my first post, made all the more memorable because it was about hot men (I miss threads like that!).
That was a good thread!

We need more threads where we objectify men as pure eye candy.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
(I saw that, ghost-bumper [Smile] )
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Member # 6707 + 49 posts > 390 . . . dang. And I was soooooo close. (Has Darth Paul's claim been validated?) I know this is useless without some bit of evidence, but I believe I registered on this board when I came home from my mission in '98 (or was it '99?). I'm afraid I didn't stay long (I was shy and intimidated) and I've long since forgotten my username. Maybe it was TheBigFishThatGotAway or something like that.

I don't know how to link to my newbies-post-here post. Would someone teach me please?

EDIT: Thanks ElJay. Let's see if this works.
JG's New Member Post

[ March 09, 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: JemmyGrove ]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerin
Member # 3902

- posted      Profile for Aerin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.

I post rarely, but I like you all very much.

Especially one. [Smile]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
Member Number: 2647
Score: 2669, not quite a winner, but a very low post/month ratio, 0.523

I created this account a couple in 2001, shortly after discovering this board. Unfortunately, shortly after that my internet service went down, and while I will visit the board from time to time, I never got around to recovering my password, until now.

Hello All

[ March 08, 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Airguitarist ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hello Aerin and Airguitarist!

JemmyGrove, like this:

quote:
<URL=www.put-the-addy-here.com>Linky Text Goes Here</URL>
Except use [ and ] instead of < and > . Alternately, you can just use the "URL" button under "Instant UBB Cod" right under the Add Reply button. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
"Instant UBB Cod"
Is that anything like an Atlantic cod?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Hello JemmyGrove, Aerin, and Airguitarist. [Wave]

I have also lost my password before. I emailed the wonderful mods and they were willing to take my word that I am who I said I was. [Smile]

Who is the special one Aerin?

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerin, every time you post, your name makes me happy. [Smile]

Edit For clarity: Aerin is a character in one of my favourite books.

[ March 08, 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Instant UBB Cod"
Is that anything like an Atlantic cod?

It's in quotes for a reason, rivka. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I see. So it's not real cod? Sort of like fake crab?
Shan
Member # 4550

Would that be Aeron in Patricia Kenneally Morrison's Keltaid series?

Beren, m'dear - how would you like a full-blown high Catholic mass, nude, at 8:00 a.m. sharp?

[Razz]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Eek!]

*looks for jeweler's receipt*

Shan
Member # 4550

Ahhhhh - shock value. It's a wonderful thing.

*grin*

*pat pats Beren*

rivka
Member # 4859

Catholic Betazoids? Huh.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

*I sense your pain The rivka*

No wonder lurkers don't post more. They must think we're crazy. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, perceptive, are they?
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-------------------------------
Welcome to Lurker's Anonymous.

Is that a 12 post program?
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ela, I was Uncle Moose for over two years, and stopped using it at 107 posts (then later added a few posts in threads of this ilk). So I was Uncle Moose for a reasonably long time, but I was indeed much more of a lurker -- less than one post per week.

--Unc, er, I mean Pop

Well, you must have made most of those posts after I arrived on the scene, cause I seem to remember you posting quite a bit. [Smile]

...Or maybe it just seems that way to me, cause those were the days when we used to hang out a lot in parachat while at work. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders about the connection between post-count, thread-count, member-number and egyptian cotton*

And, so did the delurker gasp in great dismay at the holes in Operation Macrame.

[Evil]

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dspeyer
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for dspeyer   Email dspeyer         Edit/Delete Post 
637 posts+user number 758=1395

Not too bad, but nowhere near being a champion lurker.

[ March 09, 2005, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: dspeyer ]

Posts: 643 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, mentioned twice in the same thread. Shucks, thanks for noticing me [Wink]

If the count above is correct, at 610 I am still in the lead, discounting Belgarath. (He always does pop up at the most inoportune (is that how you spell that?) times hee hee)

I lurk now more than ever. Sigh, never enough time.....

[Razz]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
6873+14...and half a post per month.
My stats are inaccurate though, because I only recently re-registered. I don't remember what the member number was on my original account, Toes.
I, like the others, do a lot of post reading. This is the most intelligent, witty, and close online community I've ever seen. It's addicting. [Smile]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I no longer consider myself a lurker, but I was one for a long time. 1309 posts + member 187 = 1496, which is fairly low considering how long I've been around.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Belgarath isn't a real lurker? I am so disillusioned.

*pout*

Im sorry to disillusion you ElJay will you forgive me. [Hail] [Blushing] [Dont Know]
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Arein...I would guess it would be The Hero and the Crown, right?

The other series barely counts are writing, I love Fantasy and whatnot but I could hardly force myself to read two of the book of it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon I could've given a few people a run for their money if it wasn't for this last month of more active participation.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.