FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone Taken the MPRE? (I Passed!)

Author Topic: Anyone Taken the MPRE? (I Passed!)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren? UoUlawguy? Other lawyers?

I'm taking it Saturday. Everything I've heard says 1 day of studying is enough. Is this true? I have two study guides, but they're very small. I can't find any other resources.

Dagonee

[ April 12, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, have you taken a professional responsibility or legal ethics class before? If you took the class recently and the material is still fresh in your mind, 1-3 days of studying is enough. Two people I knew spent one week studying for it, but they were on the paranoid side. [Smile]

I took the MPRE a few months after I took my professional responsibility class. I used Gilbert law summaries as my primary study guide. The capsule summary at the beginning of Gilbert's is really helpful for cramming purposes.

I also listend to Chemerinsky's Professional Responsibility Lectures a few times. The tapes are an acquired taste. I loved them because I'm an audio learner and I love listening to the tapes while I'm driving or running. But some people I've recommended the tapes to thought Chemerinsky's voice was too annoying. (It is too bad I didn't meet you sooner Dag, you could've inherited all sorts of law school junk from me. I gave most of my stuff to my mentee, who hasn't called me in 3 years. The ingrate! [Smile] )

Don't forget to take 1-2 practice exams. I believe the registration booklet had a mini practice exam. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Your friend is probably right. A lot of people I knew passed with just one day of studying. However, at least two people I knew who only studied for one day did not pass. Personally, I set aside three days to study for the MPRE. I goofed around the first day, but did get in two solid 12-hour sessions the next two days.

I don't know if the rules are different in your state, but in California you are allowed to take the MPRE several times. I think that is why people generally don't take the exam too seriously.

Good luck Dag! [Smile]

[ March 08, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks! I'm halfway through PR now, so I hope I learned enough. [Smile] I'll finish one of the books tonight. It comes with a video, so I'll watch that tomorrow and do a practice test to see where I am.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful resource, that Hatrack.

(Yay! [Smile] )

[ March 08, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

First sample test: 80%. This is after one review of the outline. I still have the video and strategy guide to go.

I have no idea how good that is. The 80% gets transformed into a scaled score of 50 to 150. I need an 85 to pass. But it's early in the studying, so I'm confident I'll pass.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Just got my score: 127 out of 150. Mean score over time is 100; passing is 85 in any state. 86 is a passing score in any state.

Technically this is my first official part of the bar exam, although it's far, far, far easier than anything yet to come.

Dagonee

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Dagonee.

[Party]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Happydancing for Dags!
[Party]
[The Wave]
[Group Hug]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Your journey to the dark side is almost complete.

Um... I mean congratulations. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adam613
Member # 5522

- posted      Profile for adam613   Email adam613         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 2580 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks guys.

Beren: [ROFL] I almost laughed out loud in PR.

Come on adam - join us!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't see this first time around. I would have told you that the MPRE is no sweat. It's like an afterthought when compared with the bar exam, but maybe that's only because I took it after I took the bar exam.

The other day my wife came up with the bright idea for me to take another bar exam, perhaps in California. I kept a smile on my face and refrained from strangling her.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Excellent news Dag!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats...

...and don't worry too much about the Bar Exam - you actually get to learn useful law during your Bar Review course...the tests are almost fun....almost....

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
What Beren said. [Big Grin]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats dag!
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

That's awesome!

(Though, I would have thought that going to the dark side wouldn't be so hard...)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just clueless, but could someone explain to me what an MPRE is? [Confused]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, anyone can turn to the Dark Side.

While anyone can be a stormtrooper, not everyone is cut out to be a Vader.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

It's a multiple choice exam on ethics that law students have to pass in order to join the bar.

If you are truly lawyer material, you can pass the exam by thinking about what you would do in a specific situation and then picking the answer that is directly opposed to your instincts. [Razz]

[ April 13, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] Looks like you faked them all out and made them think you can be "ethical"! [Wink] [Taunt]

(Just kidding; when you pass the bar, you can come over to my house and I'll cook you a really good steak. [Big Grin] (((hugs Dag))) )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dag!

It looks like you've really raised the bar for others around you, though. Made a real bench mark, you know?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, you are awesome.

Congrats!

[The Wave]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, everyone.

I think the test exists just so you'll read the rule book at least once in your career. The highest state passing score is 86, which is at the 36 percentile. I'm not sorry I studied - for one thing, it will help with an exam for a class I'm taking - but it really is the nothing part of all this.

When I study for the bar next summer, I'm going to have to set up a firewall that blocks Hatrack except for 20 minutes a day. [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure one of these computer gurus will break through it, Dags. No worries.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dag! [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.