FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess The Author Game Round I

Author Topic: Guess The Author Game Round I
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's how it goes. I post a story/excerpt someone sent me. You try and guess who it is from the list I provided. I won't tell you how many people sent in submissions. This is how you score points:

4 points for a critique and a guess
2 points for a guess and a rationale
2 more points if your guess with a critique/rational is correct
1 point for critiquing yourself
-10 points for a guess without rationale or critique

Once you have a critique down, you get points for it. If you make a rational guess, but are incorrect you have to do a rational again, or at least say "for same reasons I stated before". You do not get points for a critique or rational for saying "what he said". You have to at least say what that person said in your own words for credit.

You can critique your own work for one point, but you can not give away you are the author. If you want, you can try to be sneaky and guess other people, with a rational, but you won't get points for it.

Heres the Guess list (not all names are entries):

Astaril
Advice For Robots
Annie
BannaOJ
Beatnix
Belle
Bob_Scopatz
Brinestone
Celia
Chris Bridges
Da_Goat
Dan_Raven
Dante
dkw
Dragon
Ethics Gradient
Elizabeth
Icarus
imogen
Irami
JamGodJeff
JaneX
jeniwren
Jenny Gardener
Jon Boy
Kat
Kwea
LadyDay
LadyDove
Leonide
Little_Doctor
Ludosti
Mackillian
Noemon
Nick
Orange7Penguin
Papa Moose
Pooka/Trisha
Raia
Rivka
Ryuko
Sarahdipity
SarcasticMuppet
Saxon75
ScottR
Scythrop
Sopwith
sndrake
Strider
T_Smith
Teshi
Troubadour
TomDavidson
Twinky

The story will be in the next post.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

Along the Interstate 15 freeway between Las Vegas and Los Angeles there is a small town called Baker. Baker is hot, dusty and dry. Baker is not the sort of place in which one would ever choose to settle, being that civilization as most of us know it is only a few more hours down the road. It is a glorified truck stop, and hardly even that, having the
approximate population of one neighborhood in Bakersfield or Barstow, where the truckers finally built up cities around their rest areas. Most people would never remember Baker except that it is on the way to Vegas and also contains the world’s tallest thermometer. In fact, most people don’t remember it anyway. But if you drive west from Baker on the interstate for about 30 miles, the desert takes on a quality that is all at once forbidding, desolate and absolutely beautiful.

There is a certain quality about the air and sunlight in the Mojave Desert. It is difficult to describe; impossible, perhaps, to someone who
has never before been there. The seeming lifelessness of the desert both shrinks the viewpoint to the self and reminds the traveler of the vastness of our world. It can accentuate the emptiness of a lonely heart, but as the sun rises over the barren hillsides, the soul exults
in the splendor of a display so perfect that it must have been created just to be seen. The hills and mountains there seem as though they have forgotten water, having been eroded for centuries by the wind. This rougher form of weathering leaves them sharp and craggy, but with a thick layer of dust, through which the rocks show like the bones of a decaying earth. Yet, as you look over the natural skyline, the air is so clean, the sky so bright and pure, that it seems that the world ends right there, and nothing more lies beyond them.

Imagine this landscape with a single ribbon, four lanes wide, of faded asphalt running through it. Upon this dry river rides a single vessel, with neither sail nor sea, gleaming silver in the harsh desert sun. It is here, within this vehicle, that we join our hero, such as he is.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith, are you still taking submissions?

edit: guess you (almost)already answered that [Smile]

[ March 10, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

For the record, should anyone else care to send in a story, I will still accept it. [Smile]

Yep. [Razz]

Though be sure to send it to smokingman@gmail.com

[ March 10, 2005, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, your list seems to have rather a lot of people who I haven't seen around here in a long time.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Principal
Member # 5721

- posted      Profile for The Principal           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember saxon75 posting this somewhere else.

So that is my rational. I gave him a critique back then, as I enjoyed it and wished him to continue it....

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Well that was boringly fast.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

LOL dude, that was pretty fast.
Ron Post
Member # 5658

- posted      Profile for Ron Post           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Well, feel free to continue to critique saxons piece. No points, though. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

The Principal is an alt, right? I can't remember for who, though.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - That stretch of road is where I was born.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
T-Smith, the last person to try doing this wound up getting married.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
That stretch of road is where I was born.
That sounds uncomfortable.

[ March 10, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the juxtaposition of the desert landscape of "bones of a decaying earth" with the "bright and pure" sky above it. [Smile]

*must remind self to sent Nato her exerpt*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the comment about the thermometer. I always like little throw-aways like that, that seem ridiculous but that makes them all the more believable (and in this case, it happens to be true!)

I don't like the phrase "such as he is" mostly because i think it's overused. I think the sentence works fine without it.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

At the time I put it in because I wanted to sort of play up the "regular joe" aspect of the protagonist, but you're right, it's a poor turn of phrase. Personally, I think that the last sentence is pretty cheesy. And the whole thing seems a little overdone at this point, though I think the imagery works well enough.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That was fast!

Comments:

I liked the description- very vivid!

quote:
Along the Interstate 15 freeway between Las Vegas and Los Angeles there is a small town called Baker. Baker is hot, dusty and dry. Baker is not the sort of place...
Too many "Bakers" spoil the story, as it were.

quote:
It is a glorified truck stop, and hardly even that, having the
approximate population of one neighborhood in Bakersfield or Barstow...

I would put a "just" imbeteween 'of' and 'one' so it's "of just one neighbourhood"

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That sounds uncomfortable.
Yes, but it's very warm. Surprisingly cozy.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Hey, Nate, if you don't think it will give too much away, how many rounds will there be?
Leonide
Member # 4157

I actually like the repetitive Bakers -- it's a neat literary thing that I see in a bunch of stories (i've used it a few times myself...) :0) I mean, Baker is a pretty dull place, right? The repitition just accents that.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

About the Bakers: I thought that although that was probably the intention, the repetativeness wasn't handled in the best way it could have been. I especially didn't like the sentence that ended with Baker right next to the one that began with Baker... it just didn't flow for me...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

One problem for me, I think, is that when I'm writing the prose portions I tend to "hear" it in my head. It's like I'm reading it aloud. I think this actually works out nicely for me most of the time, but the repetition here sort of highlights a place where it doesn't. See, when I say it out loud, I put in pauses that may not be readily apparent to someone else just reading it. So the sentence beginning with "Baker" right after a sentence ending with "Baker" doesn't sound bad to me because there's a pause in between. No particularly good way to show that in writing, though.

[ March 10, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

New paragraph? Perhaps?
saxon75
Member # 4589

Well, yeah, I could put in a paragraph break there, but in terms of the prose flow, it's not really appropriate. Alternately I could put in an ellipsis, but that doesn't really work for narrative, just dialogue and internal monologue.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some really good imagery here, I love some of the small details like the thermometer.

However, I think it would have problems as a story introduction because it's three paragraphs of static description before we ever meet the character.

It's too much for me. I would rather meet the character right away, then perhaps we could get some of that wonderful imagery through the character's thoughts.

I know you guys are going to kill me for bringing up the dreaded "show don't tell" but I do find a good bit of telling in this description.

Don't tell me it's "all at once forbidding, desolate and absolutely beautiful," show me. Show me how the landscape changes into something else, describe for me what about it makes it forbidding and beautiful.

quote:
There is a certain quality about the air and sunlight in the Mojave Desert. It is difficult to describe; impossible, perhaps, to someone who has never before been there. The seeming lifelessness of the desert both shrinks the viewpoint to the self and reminds the traveler of the vastness of our world. It can accentuate the emptiness of a lonely heart, but as the sun rises over the barren hillsides, the soul exults in the splendor of a display so perfect that it must have been created just to be seen.
I think you can toss the first two sentences. What use is there intelling us it's impossible to describe if you're going to describe it for us in the immediately following sentences?

I agree with the comment about "such as it is." I don't like it at all. But I think the whole thing would work better if we're introduced to our chracter right away anyhow.

I think it would be better to show us the desert through his/her eyes, so the reader can not only get the feel for the desert setting, but learn something about the character in the process.

Of course, if the hero is born in the desert, he's not going to wax poetic about how it accentuates the emptiness of a lonely heart. And, he may be the type of character that doens't wax poetic at all. So, then you'd have to decide whether the beautiful prose here is important to the story at all, or is it just pretty?

If it's supposed to be a descriptive essay on desert landscapes it's awesome. But does it fulfill the purpose in the story that it needs to? Only the author can answer that.

I love a lot of it - I think it's wonderful writing, I'm just not convinced of it's value in a story. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be classified as "wierd fiction"?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Principal is one of eslaine/Erik's alts.

[Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Jinx!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
I'm just not convinced of it's value in a story.
This is exactly why there's no more to this little stub of an intro. It just doesn't make much sense as a part of a larger story.

Really I never had much to work with here anyway. The idea was a story about a guy who's sort of trapped between worlds, living in Southern California but having been raised in Northern California. (Yeah, it's more than a little autobiographical, which is another problem.) I had this idea of him driving back and forth a lot, and the roads and driving would be some kind of metaphor for his life. The problem is I never really had a good idea of any of the characters or storyline, just this vague notion of an idea.

So, yeah, what Belle said.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate The Principal, because I took notes as I read it and wrote up a rather lengthy critique.

Actually, no. I hate The Principal because s/he did not guess, s/he narked. S/he knew the answer without any deduction and simply spoiled everyone else's fun. [No No]

Saxon would have been about my fourth guess. I would have guessed DanRaven, Bob_S, and Papa Moose first.

-o-

I don't understand why there are no points for critiques now that guessing is done. Critiques are kind of the point, with the guessing just a fun game to frame around this, neh?

Well, I'm gonna be anally retentive, then, and keep my critique to myself.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Yeah, eslaine...i feel like you played the last round of this game...you should know better than to ruin the round for the rest of us! especially poor saxon, cause he'll probably get less critiques because of it...

general rule of thumb for everybody: don't do that. [No No]

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously...If you "know" the answer due to some outside reason, keep it to yourself. Getting some points for the correct guess isn't worth spoiling the game.

-sorry to jump on the bandwagon, I didn't see Leonide's post.

[ March 10, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

[Razz]

Did I mention that I already critiqued it?

I think I did. On sakeriver, a fine forum.

And I re-iterate:

[Razz]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm pretty sure I never posted that at sakeriver. But I think I have posted it somewhere.
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe at GC? Because I remember seeing it, and also remember Erik critiquing it.

And add me to the "critiques should SO count after the author has been guessed" list.

dkw did it that way! [Wink]

eslaine
Member # 5433

I do agree with that.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Ah. It was on GreNME.
eslaine
Member # 5433

Also a very fine forum.
saxon75
Member # 4589

::bump::

Any chance of getting Round 2 today?

Icarus
Member # 3162

That's all there was.

Just the one

short

round.

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

*glare*
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty good except three things were jarring: The semicolon, "weathering leaves" and the last phrase, "The Hero, such as he is.

This is a contemporary fiction piece, which pares down those who are more known for interest in Sci-fi/fantasy. It's probably someone who lives in the west, but not the north (probably not mack or Annie).
Due to the location I'm guessing Papa Moose. I hope this round didn't end without me. I am replying without reading everyone else's assessments.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

This round ended without you.

[Smile]

eslaine guessed saxon75 almost immediately.

Icarus
Member # 3162

No, eslaine did not guess anything.

[Razz]

(Oh, and my analysis will come shortly, since Nate is giving points for those now.)

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Yeah yeah, I will give points for them. And then I'll figure out the points later. :-p
eslaine
Member # 5433

I did this time Icky!

[Razz]

Icarus
Member # 3162

What I most about this excerpt was the wealth of description that was provided.

"the Interstate 15 freeway" redundant?

I like this turn of phrase: "It is a glorified truck stop, and hardly even that . . . "

By this time:

quote:
Most people would never remember Baker except that it is on the way to Vegas and also contains the world’s tallest thermometer. In fact, most people don’t remember it anyway.
it gets to be too much. Okay, we get the point. It's nowheresville. Now get on with it.

A heck of a lot of time is spent desctibing a place that is (apparently) nothing more than a reference point for the real setting.

I found this transition awkward:

quote:
But if you drive west from Baker on the interstate for about 30 miles, the desert takes on a quality that is all at once forbidding, desolate and absolutely beautiful.

There is a certain quality about the air and sunlight in the Mojave Desert.

This sounded profound to me, and led me to believe that the author was a "grown-up": "The seeming lifelessness of the desert both shrinks the viewpoint to the self and reminds the traveler of the vastness of our world."

quote:
It can accentuate the emptiness of a lonely heart, but as the sun rises over the barren hillsides, the soul exults
in the splendor of a display so perfect that it must have been created just to be seen.

Beautiful. Antecedent unclear, though.

The concluding paragraph gives me the sense that the preceding description was going through the motions. "Our hero" creates a "gentle reader" tone that might not be out of place, since the scene seems comic. But the juxtaposition of some quite profound-seeming description with the occasional comic line and now this creates a bathetic effect that is jarring. Is it deliberate?

[ March 14, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.