FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why is getting rich so hard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why is getting rich so hard?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to get there for a little while now. It's not working.

Any suggestions?

I'll do almost anything as long as it's really easy and doesn't require hard work or mental activity.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When you get rich, can I have a loan?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
When and if I get to work for the EU, I'll be rich. Plus I'll be getting additional money for a husband...

*hides from Kira's wrath*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
For a husband? They pay you to get married?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Kama - I hope you never have to pay that kind of money back.

It kinda sucks being a loan.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

yes. *thinks* If I get to earn about 3900 EUR per month when I'm single, I get additional 200 if I'm married.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Screw getting rich. I just want moderate financial security and I can't even get that... Perhaps it is because I am stupid.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine if you married five guys!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[ROFL]

That would be exhausting.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money

-Jack Handey

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3900 EUR per month when I'm single, I get additional 200 if I'm married
*reconsiders*
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

of course, I keep talking about that job for at least a year now. I wonder if I ever get to get it.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered becoming a high class prostitute that is hired by a wealthy executive played by Richard Gere who eventually falls in love with you?

All you have to remember is no kissing on the lips.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
You are already rich.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38451000/jpg/_38451627_ethiopia_kids300.jpg

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

oh and Eddie, there's more if we have babies!!!
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

I still get to be the housewife, right?
Kama
Member # 3022

sure. after all, I'll be busy earning the money.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, I think Strider means a rather higher amount of rich than you do [Wink] .

However, here's Russell's Real Simple Formula (Nearly) Guaranteed To Make You Rich. RRSF(N)GTMYR.

Get a decent job, even something starting out at $20,000 a year or so. Live very frugally -- you can do it, give up those extras, live in a smaller apartment, make your own food, all of it. If you can, don't have a car.

Don't have kids (sorry, but kids take a lot of money -- you may still get rich with kids, but it won't be (Nearly) Guaranteed (tm)).

Sock thousands of dollars every year into anything your employer matches, socking the remainder into something like a Roth IRA.

When you can, purchase a house on really good terms (that you should have enough to purchase it in cash if that's the best option will help).

When you reach a comfortable level to retire at for the age you're at, retire. If you're really saving everything you can, this'll be fairly young, and you'll be pretty wealthy.

Assuming one starts around 20 to 25 (anywhere under 30 shouldn' t be too bad), barring really major medical accidents (have decent insurance, that's not something to skimp on), assuming regular basic career advancement, and the continued socking away of money, you should be able to retire very, very comfortably (particularly if you keep working a part time, enjoyable job afterward, which is likely) by the time you're 60.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

shhh, fugu. You'll scare Frisco away.
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

fugu's way doesn't look like fun at all.
Kama
Member # 3022

oh, good.

I'll let you know when I'm employed.

Strider
Member # 1807

I leave this thread for 5 minutes and look what happens!

Few things...

Good job Pixiest on actually making this thread serious. [Razz]

quote:
Have you considered becoming a high class prostitute that is hired by a wealthy executive played by Richard Gere who eventually falls in love with you?

All you have to remember is no kissing on the lips.

Book, if only it were that easy. But sadly I don't swing that way, no matter what Frisco tells you.

Fugu, no offense, but your plan stinks. Work up a new plan, but with expected retirement at 30.

Kama, Kira and her wrath are laying cozily in bed right now. You don't have much to worry about.

[ March 10, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

4000 Euros would be rich to me. I live rather comfortably on 1/4 of that right now.

Get crackin'!

Strider
Member # 1807

You live on Euros? No wonder you're having such a hard time making it here.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, darn those Euros that are . . . worth substantially more than our dollars. Kama can buy stuff in the US effectively for cheaper than we can, because she has Euros.

You didn't ask how to get rich quick, and what I posted is certainly a good plan for more definitely getting rich [Razz] .

As for getting rich quick, its hard. First, how rich do you want to be? I'll throw some ideas out based on that number.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'd just like to be dictator of a small country named after me. I'm not greedy.

[ March 10, 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

*snort*

In that case, I recommend finding a small country in a state of unrest and forming a movement based around your personal charisma which takes over the country.

Strider
Member # 1807

I was thinking of coming up with a really cool new fad and copyrighting it and making millions in royalties.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
gods, if I could just GET a job making 20,000 a year. I am sooooooooo sick of making 4 figures. I want five figures. Or at least 200-500 dollars a week! That would be great. Then I could buy a crappy, clunky, hoopty jalopy car where you have to jiggle the handle just the right way and lift the stirring wheel slightly to get it to work. I'd use it to get to work and to the vet and that would be good enough for me.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Good luck with that. Most of the individuals who come up with those rarely get rich -- its usually the company that employs them.

Also, its remarkably chancy, which can be good and bad. For instance, the guy who invented Magic: The Gathering is quite wealthy on something I think he had no idea would take off so much.

Strider
Member # 1807

I had a really cool idea for a tv show. the whole season takes place in the span of one 24 hour day, each episode being one hour. Maybe centering around some sort of law enforcement angency. Or better yet, the CIA! hmmm...or maybe something even cooler...with more action...like some sort of counter terrorist unit. There'd be plot twists all over the place and each new hour would end on a cliffhanger!

Nah...sounds kind of stupid.

Strider
Member # 1807

Want to buy my black lotus?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sure, I'll give you $5. Well, if its alpha.
Strider
Member # 1807

how much will you give me for it if I printed it out with a laser printer?
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is."

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

L.Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology.

All hail [Hail] Strider!
And dig deep when the collection plate comes around.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Find one of those islands where white people are still worshipped as gods. And when you do, give me a call.

If you are any other ethnicity than white (and I don't know if you are), sorry, because I think only us whities were arrogant enough to get deified.

also:

www.savetoby.com

[ March 10, 2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I've set my life up so that I can follow fugu's plan, because that was what my society expected of me, and now that I'm ready to kickstart the wealth accumulation I find I have misgivings and secret dreams of moving to Australia or New Zealand.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you move to South Africa, your American money will multiply by ten in their money.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, I should point out I have no intention of following my plan.

I intend to work my way through a number of jobs of various sorts (not elaborating right now) in policy, primarily, and when I've reached a position of decent salary, start bargaining for more time off instead of increases in salary.

I intend to spend on what interests me, within a reasonable budget.

I do plan to save regularly for retirement, of course, just not go into it with the aim of having as much money as possible.

I don't particularly care about being wealthy, I'd much rather be comfortable.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's pretty easy:
You could dig for gold.
Or you could find a bigger golden goose.
Then again, you might just be a long lost heir, which is about as easy as it gets. A couple of DNA tests and...

[ March 11, 2005, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
On your sixteenth and seventeenth birthdays, invest $2,000 each year in a Roth IRA. At an average return of 12%, you'll retire a millionaire.

Done. You're a millionaire for $4,000.

More here.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
An average annual return of 12% over 40 years is naive and unrealistic.
You'd be better off looking for the golden goose.

[ March 11, 2005, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, a million dollars in 40 years is worth, like, what, $200,000 or $300,000? Not only that, it's 40 years from now.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
But the principle underlying the idea - time is your best financial friend - is sound.

Of course, time is your financial friend only if you're accumulating - even if you're accumulating slowly.

Time is your financial enemy if you're in debt.

Here's an article by Michelle Singletary, a great financial columnist at the Post.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I was thinking about when I would be done with work+chores today. It ended up being 14 hours in the future.. about an hour before I go to bed.

Then I saw the cooler I used to keep my water in when I was unemployed and walked every day. For a moment I was in that time, not so very long ago, when I woke up excited in the morning, looking forward to a happy day of sitting on my butt and doing nothing of consequence.

How long till I'm retired?

[ March 11, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Not only that, it's 40 years from now
Which is my number 1 problem with it.
Book
Member # 5500

I hope you don't mention your plans to retire to your gruff but attractive partner on the police force, because that means you're going to die in at least the next hour of the movie or so.
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
one reason getting rich is hard:

# of combinations possible in powerball(multi-state lottery) = 14,463,212,400

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider: If you really want to get rich for no hard work and minimal mental effort, I get tons of spam each day offering ways to do just that. I'd be happy to forward all this stuff to you, if you like. [Evil]

Hugh

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.