FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » High Science Fiction

Author Topic: High Science Fiction
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
I had always thought that so-called "high" science fiction was sci fi that placed a higher emphasis on technology and science than character development. However, I recently picked up a copy of A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (upon a Hatrack recommendation) and I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be that much techno babble or science talk in the book, despite being characterized by some as high sci fi. What exactly is high science fiction?
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Fahrenheit 420
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue what high science fiction is. But given your description, I definately would not call A Fire Upon the Deep high science fiction. Because of its emphasis on character development, I've always considered that book to be space opera. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you're thinking of the phrase, 'Hard Science Fiction,' rather than HIGH sci-fi.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren <---- [ROFL]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren

I thought it was Farenhight451.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love a free encyclopedia.

Hard versus Soft...science fiction

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
and msquared misses the joke =)

Took me a double take as well.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Fire Upon the Deep is definitely a space opera. In fact, that's the entire reason why Vinge created the "realms" in that book -- so that he could overcome the problems of the technological singularity which, in his view, would make any space opera impossible to ever happen.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an idiot, I meant hard science fiction.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't give away A Fire Upon the Deep at WenchCon. Nobody wanted it! [Grumble]

That book is definitely space opera: fleets of space-craft battling, huge jumps in distance, the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance, etc.

I would call it hard science fiction. I disagree with the wiki at Trevor's link:
quote:
Character development is almost always secondary to explorations of astronomical or physical phenomena.

Hard SF writers usually attempt to make their stories consistent with known science at the time of publication.[This is usually correct, but Vinge found a loophole--Morbo]

The best hard sci-fi writers don't neglect plot and character, and Vinge is one of the best.Fire and the prequel A Deepness in the Sky are both hard sci-fi, but the plot and character development was great, especially how Vinge made wolf-packs and other aliens (in the first), and giant spiders (the prequel) accessible to the reader without excess anthropomorpizing.

Death to vermin [i.e. humans]!--Killer butterflies in Fire.

And Vinge had a very original way of allowing fantastic technologies into a human setting using his "Realms", as Porter mentioned.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer "soft" sci-fi most of the time. And Morbo, I'm really enjoying To Say Nothing of the Dog. Thank you! It got me through the wait, the flight, and I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight. (Since my husband cleaned the apartment and did the dishes while I was gone, I have nothing to do but laundry and play wiht the baby and organize pictures and read. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Fire Upon the Deep is soft science fiction.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you liked it, kq. Willis can really write absurd scenes well.

I liked Tossie's screamlets, and the descriptions of Victorian furniture and stuff, and the Oxford don, and the bishop's bird stump. It's a fun book.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're setting up a false continuum here between hard science fiction and space opera.

My general understanding of hard science fiction is that technical correctness is the highest priority. This doesn't mean that writers of hard science fiction don't do characterization. Some are weak on it, though.

I would not say that space opera is character-driven, though. I would say that space-opera is action-oriented, and that is characterized by space-faring civilizations, battles in space, and, often, alien races at a level of advancement comparable to our own. The speed of light barrier is either absent or bypassed with the flimsiest of explanations--often wormholes or hyperdrive. As in hard science fiction, character is a secondary consideration--this time to action.

These two groupings obviously do not cover all possibilities. Nor are they entirely mutually exclusive. That is, it is no contradiction for hard science fiction to be written with excellent characterization.

I would place the works of OSC, leGuin, and others in a third category, call it character-driven science fiction.

[ March 14, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
My interest is piqued by the mentioning of the Gormenghast books. What do we know about them?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We know many things about them, and like them a lot. Precious.

And Vinge is definitely not a hard sci-fi author.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.