FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess The Author Game Round III (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess The Author Game Round III
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My only conclusion is that it's someone deliberately trying to sound liek someone they're not.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

- posted      Profile for AuthorPerson   Email AuthorPerson         Edit/Delete Post 
There wasn't any conscious decision not to sound like myself, but of course the narrator of the story doesn't sound like me, so it's misleading.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oooh.. tricksy.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering when you would do this. Although, I was thinking you would use another SN. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The author-ego totally sounds like something Nate would do, but he's already been guessed.
Annie
Member # 295

Multiple SNs, eh? But we ruled out JonBoy...
Annie
Member # 295

Is it Jamie?

edit: there is a rationale here - the rationale being that I'm trying to guess who would converse with Nate like that.

[ March 17, 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

- posted      Profile for AuthorPerson   Email AuthorPerson         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Also, for some clarification: the excerpt is from a brainstorm I did a few weeks back.

The idea I started with was how creepy cats look when they're staring at nothing, and I had expanded it to the idea that they either see ghosts, or are seeing a future event that will take place in the exact location they're staring at.

The ghost/animal's being sensitive thing is done a lot though, so i was aiming more for the "seeing into the future" angle.

The brainstorm, however, went completely off-topic...

here's the following paragraph:

quote:
My cat sounds kind of like my ex-girlfriend sometimes. Acts kind of like Crystal, too. Lies around all day, staring at me like I killed her mother, eating two bites of food and then she cozies up to me all nice and snug and I roll over for her.

[ March 17, 2005, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: AuthorPerson ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So lets see if I can make an original guess this time...

Based on the freakin' ... let's go Advice for Robots.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Somebody freaking get this thing!

Okay, part process of elimination, part my same reasoning above, and part trying to think of people who post at other forums, given the above exchange, I'll go with Ethics Gradient.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

EDIT: Another weird post-in-the-wrong-thread. hmm . . .

[ March 17, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky

I've read some of twinky's work before, and I know that he is a solid and clear writer. I just didn't know that he was one to vamp on Cats at the beginning of a story.

Primal Curve is my alternate guess.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

*slaps forehead*

Really?

I had no idea I was this unreadable.

There was swearing originally in the story (f-bombs, the like) which I took out because it wouldn't have gone over too well here. Also, the narrator is a twenty-something just-out-of-college guy who finds the cat as a stray and she won't stop meowing at his door so he takes her in.

There's also a humorous exchange I wrote that takes place at a supermarket where the guy goes to buy cat food.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well. I don't think dkw has been guessed, so why not try her.

dkw would be my next guess.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
AuthorPerson,

The piece is very clear. I don't have a problem with your diction or sentence structure or anything like that.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

I meant I didn't know *I* was this unreadable...meaning, unable to be guessed.

But thanks, Irami. [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Smilies. Asterisks for emphasis.

Clearly this is Tom.

I thought about Tom before, but, though Tom has a very sharp sense of humor, this sounded more informal than I would have expected from him.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Good guess.

[Razz]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know what, though? Deep down inside I don't believe that . . .

I don't see Tom using ellipses in exposition like this.

[ March 17, 2005, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider

And from now on, everyone please put their guesses in bold. It's much easier to pick them out when you're scanning to see if anyone has already been guessed. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Sorry. Strider has already been eliminated.
AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

Tom!?

*falls over*

Icarus, you have flattered me more than any human being could reasonably expect in this thread...Chris Bridges, Tom, Scott R, Bob...I mean, how am I ever going to write now with such an enormous head?

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
And I already guessed mac. Still reads like her though.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see Strider being guessed, it must not have been in bold. [Razz]

How about Dragon?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Saxon75 on the previous page....
AuthorPerson
Member # 7572

quote:
Course, I didn’t know what to get her at first, I had to go to the supermarket to find out.
The cashier was this really greasy looking kid, like high school or something, obviously would rather be pulling kitty whiskers out than helping me and the entire old lady population of downtown Philly feed their furballs.

“So, I mean, what should I feed her? She looks really skinny and stuff.”

“Cat food’s in aisle 3.”

“Yeah, man, I know, I was just there. What the f*** do I know the difference between Whiskies and Friskies and Tricksies?”

“I don’t know, man, I just started Tuesday.”

“Don’t you own a pet, man? I just need some advice.”

“I got a boa constrictor. It eats live mice and crickets. You wanna buy your kitty some live mice and crickets?”

“Do I have to feed them to her by hand, man? Cause, man...mice...”

“Feed her cat food, man! It’s in aisle 3!”

“Fine, what color?”

“Who the f*** cares?!?”

So I closed my eyes and pointed and ended up getting the freakin' cat that Kaboodle stuff.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if everyone kept a spreadsheet there would be so much less confusion as to who had already been guessed. Also, Ethics Gradient, Sopwith, and Primal Curve are not on the list.

----------------------

I don't think Tom would make a new screen name for anything. Certainly not for this. Looking over the list of people who have posted in this thread, Katie seems a good match, but I don't think she'd ever write anything with actual swearing in it.

I'll guess Leonide, just because she's posted in here.

[ March 17, 2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Does that mean I'm right?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

?
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
She looks like any cat, you know, not black, cause I’m not gonna take in an unlucky cat, nah, she’s got tiger stripes, dark grey ones, and the rest of her is all sorts of colors. But non-descript, ya know? How something with that many shades can be non-descript...but you get my drift. She’s your every-cat. She’s got class, though, no garbage-digging for my Crystal, oh no. I would of smelled it on her the very first day. No, she’s a little prima donna. She stuck her black-and-pink nose straight up in the air the first time I offered her Kit ‘n’ Kaboodle. Damn feline’ll only eat those wet chunks of ground up horse meat, or whatever the h*** they put in ‘em. Tastes like crap, anyhow. I mean, it smells like crap. I haven’t been chowing down on her food, now.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I do have a spreadsheet. And Ethics Gradient and Sopwith are on it. As are Pixiest and quidscribis.

You need to update yours. [Razz]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I refer you to the first post of this thread.
Icarus
Member # 3162

What the-?!

They were both in the first thread. People can be removed from the guess list? To what purpose?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::shifty eyes::

Hehehehe...

But yeah, it was Leonide. Huzzah!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

*applause*
Annie
Member # 295

Well, that took like forever.

Congrats, Leonide, on not sounding a thing like yourself. [Razz]

Leonide
Member # 4157

danke!

fun round, guys, you had me laughing a lot. Especially Icky...i was SURE you'd get me after you thought of Strider...but you were so convinced that it was a guy! Silly! [Razz]

And yeah, I don't like the excerpt that much -- i like the idea, and i like my "hero" of sorts and his attitude towards his cat, but i have my "great idea" and just can't seem to get it out on paper.

I'll probably turn my attentions towards my alien story now [Cool]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I thought it was really good, Leo, and I think you definitely should keep working on it. I'm sorry to hear you disparage it. :-\
Leonide
Member # 4157

What I mean is, i don't know where to go with it. I'm not a twenty-something male, so I think eventually I'd hit a roadblock when it came to writing him.

I don't mind the idea of a kinda snarky guy and his cat. It gives me hope for mankind [Smile]

No disparagment, I just agree with anyone who said it needed tightening up.

The voice, however, is dead on. Cause I say my dialogue outloud and that is exactly how my guy would talk, even if the rest of you schlumps can't hear it. [Taunt]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I hear it. Maybe it's a regional thing. [Smile]
Leonide
Member # 4157

((Icky))

man, you rock.

Dude.

Icarus
Member # 3162

So, um GTAG IV.4 today?

[Wink]

Annie
Member # 295

I'll second that.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.