FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Putting your breast case forward

Author Topic: New column: Putting your breast case forward
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting your breast case forward

If you read our newspaper Monday morning -- or looked at it online -- you might have noticed the presence of a topless woman on the front. This was not a new marketing idea, unfortunately. Instead it accompanied the story of Elizabeth Book, the crusading breast-barer who successfully protested the city's anti-nudity ordinance that allows men, even ugly men, to whip off their shirts as they please while restricting women from doing the same. She claims that this is discriminatory and unfair.

Thinking logically, I have to agree. While we as a society have decided that breasts are erotic and/or evil and should therefore be covered forever under thick canvas unless carefully supervised by a duly wedded husband or the cameraman for "Girls Gone Wild," there is no intrinsic reason for the female chest to be treated differently than the male chest.

Except for this: Breasts make guys go stupid.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Covering those fellows up would go a long way towards healing the gender legislative disparity, as well as generally improving property values"

ha ha ha!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article. Especially the part about the commitee.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What a great column.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only then could we address the injustice that forces women to cover up while allowing my neighbor to lie out in his front yard every day looking like a badly shaved bear in a thong.

Almost I laughed out loud while proctoring an FCAT. Instead I merely choked slightly. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Say, Chris, any chance of you breaking down and coming to Jai-Alai on Friday?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, you just want to see Chris's breasts. You're so transparent.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The approved person could then post the license and stride around the yard all he or she liked, waving happily at traffic and startling the UPS guy.
[ROFL]

Ic: FMEOW.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I signed a non-disclosure agreement with my neighborhood organization.

And, dunno, it depends on what we plan this weekend. This is anniversary week for me, our 19th wedding anniversary was yesterday and our 24th "being together" anniversary is tomorrow. We're awash in smushiness and may seriously gross out anyone who isn't actually us [Smile]

Also, I dunno if I'm to be surprised by anything. I'll check.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

DVD extras: this column could have gone three or four ways. I went with the most family-friendly (and still got my editor to IM me with "kinda riding the line, huh?") but my original idea was to write about why I thought legalizing public female toplessness was a bad idea. Same column to begin with, but after "... I'll bring her dinner and do half her laundry before I realize what's happening" I was heading this way:

quote:
This reaction forces women to keep a few square inches of skin covered lest half of the population run their cars into municipal buildings more or less constantly. Is this fair? Of course not. Women’s breasts may be aesthetically pleasing, but they’re also simple milk glands that feed our young and help sell beer. Why get so worked up over them?

I have no doubt that with the right attitude and some hard work, we as a society can become desensitized to the naked female breast, especially if we as a society keep surfing the Web at 2 a.m. the way we’ve been doing. In no time we would come to accept that yes, half of the human race has those things, and no, they’re no big deal. Men and women could dress or undress with equal freedom, one more big chunk of shame and embarrassment would fade away, and sun tan lotion sales would skyrocket.

And, I have to admit, I’d hate it.

Which as intended to be followed by why the mystery and excitement and the tiny triumphs of glimpsing untanned skin was something I didn't want to lose, sexist though it might be.

Ah well. Another day, perhaps...

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggling into orange juice and toast - decently covered*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that was very funny.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I accept that this is a problem that I as a feminist need to address, and I think any woman interested in striking a blow for equality should do their very best to inure me to the naked female breast at every opportunity.
[ROFL]

And Chris, you mean to tell me there are no nude or topless beaches in Daytona? [Wink]

Great article. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Officially? No. Unofficially? One or two, that move as circumstances require.

Although the most common "nude beach" is the spontanenous one, such as the stretch between Ormond-by-the-Sea and Flagler Beach where all you need is a secluded stretch, a place without convenient beach access to cut back on gawkers, and really good hearing.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ha! Just got e-mail from a reader who sent me the following article (work safe): Doffs top, and crowd goes mild about a photographer who takes shots of women stripping to the waist in public to get the reactioj from passersby, only to find that there generally isn't any...

"'I tried to photograph mayhem, and there wasn't any,' he said."

Granted, he was in Times Square...

[ March 16, 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only then could we address the injustice that forces women to cover up while allowing my neighbor to lie out in his front yard every day looking like a badly shaved bear in a thong.

Ha! And you must be sorry you missed WenchCon this weekend. There was an incident with me nursing in a swimsuit and having to ask for a towel to cover up, and apparently one with Lucky4 changing that almost made Trevor a very happy man...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Anniversary!

So funny.

I think a greater problem on Florida beaches is the number of men (most of the old enough to be my father or grandfather) in Speedos. If they agree to switch to trunks, I'm sure that many women will agree to go topless from sheer gratitude.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I agree, Mrs. M. especiall when the Speedos are accompanied by sandals and black socks pulled up to the knees. Add the sagging breastiture, and boy, it's tough.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
FMEOW? For some reason that evokes a line from the Batting cage in "When Harry Met Sally".
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another Book in favor of female breast visibility.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Hmm, I was thinking more of the tiny speedos on old guys with beer guts hanging out over the top of them. [Eek!]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

with the black sock-sandal thing as well, Ela?
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs.M, on behalf of Canada, I apologize for all our snowbirds.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks, Eaquae, but in my experience, it's the Brits more than y'all.

[Smile]

Ela
Member # 1365

Not in Hollywood Beach...

And, yeah, some of them have black socks. [Razz]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, in Disney it's the Brits.

And living around here quickly dispells any positive stereotypes you ever held about them. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
great article.

On a similar thread, I worked for Tandy corporation when they ran a computer only store as well as their famous Radio Shacks. One holiday season my sales won me an award so I got to attend the managers meeting. Before the awards were given out the regional manager had a bulletin.

"I won't go into details of who and where, but last week some store repackaged a returned VCR. The VCR was in good shape so the manage, whom I will not name (though he stared at one, as did several others in the audience), put it back on the shelf and sold it to a sweet little 67 year old lady.

"When this lady got it home she discovered a tape already in the VCR. She assumed it was a tape with set up instructions or some other bonus. What she saw got her so upset we are still trying to appease her.

"So here is the lesson I want you all to take with you into this busy selling season. Do NOT repack returned merchandise without checking it all out first. And if you do send out a repacked VCR make sure there is not tape inside it. And if there is a tape in side it please make sure it is not a tape of naked people running around...

"and finally, please, for God's sake, if it is a tape of naked people running around, please, please, please make sure that they aren't UGLY PEOPLE! That is what really got this lady upset."

The meeting could not continue for twenty minutes.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only then would we have discrimination where it belongs, against the ugly and unsavory.
Yeah, that's pretty brilliant.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Eaquae. I've been waiting for a long time to hear that.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they agree to switch to trunks, I'm sure that many women will agree to go topless from sheer gratitude.
[Laugh] Mrs. M
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Maybe I should reverse that logic and threaten to start wearing a Speedo if women don't start showing me more flesh . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.