FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need Prom dress ideas!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need Prom dress ideas!!!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I've got the date. But now I need the dress!!!
Prom is May 7th, I'll get you guys the pictures as soon as I get them ok!
But I am desperate!!!! I need to get my dress, what will I wear?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wear something red. I've seen your pictures, and I think you'd do red well.

But then, you should ask Mrs. M, she knows a lot better than me!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ivygirl will be watching this thread as well -- she is also desparately shopping for a prom dress. We tried on TONS last weekend... finally bought one, but now she has decided she doesn't like it, so I'm returning it...

[Frown]

Ivygirl's photos are HERE if anyone has any ideas. She would like to find red, but hasn't found anything that is right. (and I don't allow it to be too revealing)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

This is Altariel isn't it? So we can have some idea what will work for her?

FG

[ March 16, 2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I wore a dark red, sort of wine-colored prom dress last year... red usually isn't my color, but it worked out nicely, I think. [Smile] There are pictures on foobonic that I'm too lazy to link to, in case anyone's interested.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that was me. I want my hair in a gypsy style, so I think red will go well with me. Then again, I thought white would also.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What is a "gypsy style"??
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, I think IG should try a greyish-blue that's slightly shiny. With a lot of pouf.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about white - I'd suggest a darker color for you Alt. White would be a stark contrast to your color while something a shade or two darker would compliment it.

(Mind you, I'm a straight man so take my fashion advice for what it's worth [Big Grin] )

Ivy...hmm. I think red is a good choice - she has just enough color to be accented by the red. But a lighter shade, I think.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably don't want to look like Cinderella after her stepsisters got done ripping her dress to shreds, right? [Smile]

You said you're thinking red. Do you prefer big skirts or slimming lines? Empire waist or low waist? Tulle or not? Satin?

It's looks like this year's fad is prom dresses in sherbet colors. Do you want to be faddish or traditional? Do you prefer ornate or simple styles?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Nordstrom's website has many beautiful dresses. I am in love with this one.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I like long flowing dresses, not the puffy kind.
I also like sky blue, and my mom says I look good in it. My favorite cloth is chiffon. I guess a dress with many layers of it would be good.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I like this dress so far.
BTW, gypsy style would be those long thick curls that look something like this or maybe like this.

[ March 16, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

That is a beautiful dress and I love the off-white color.

I'll defer to Farm's opinion as to whether or not that would be defined as too revealing. [Big Grin]

So that's a "gypsy" look - I would never have guessed.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[Big Grin] oh guys......
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that dress is very elegant (especially in the back). I'm not too crazy about the "ruched" effect though. The ruffle triggers my OCD and if my date were wearing that, I would be trying to smooth out the dress for the entire night.

<--- Some guy's opinion.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well there is also this oneor . this one, or this one
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, that last one is you!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'll show it to my mom. I hope she likes it.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Not to knock it, but I'm not sure yellow would be your color. Do you own any clothes in that color?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

1st one - Do you want to look like a giant salmon?

2nd one - That's not a dress, that's an Audrey Hepburn movie. [Smile] It has that "virgin sacrifice" look which I personally love. I'm not sure why there is that bulge coming out of the middle of the breast area though. Overall a cool dress.

3rd one - The yellow may look really great contrasted with your skin color. But it is showing a little bit too much leg. It is a bit too sexy for a prom dress IMHO.

edited to add: Ha! Just read Brinestone's comments. I know nothing of colors or style, you should probably listen to Brinestone. [Smile]

[ March 16, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The model in there has more or less my own skin tone and hair color. I figure I've got a good body and a rather penetrating look on my eyes. I think I would look good on yellow, I'm wearing denim overalls with a yellow blouse. Makes me feel like a farmer, but it looks good on me.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'd nix the first two and the third is very nice, but not necessarily for prom.

The first is still more elegant and would set off your proposed hairstyle perfectly.

-Trevor

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There is always The classic style
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Well then . . . [Smile]
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd go for the third one (I look dead in yellow, but it's a really cool dress).

But then I never did listen to my Mammy when she told me not wear an afternoon dress to a barbeque and never to go showing my bosom until after 4 o'clock...

I quite like the second one too, but not as much. Depends if you want to go for the virgial look or not.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, your prom is the same day as mine!

Personally, I agree with most of the opinions here on your options, and I'm not too fond of the random ruffles coming down the front of a bunch of the dresses you chose, but if that's something you like, go for it. My advice is to find something that not only looks good on you, but fits well enough that you won't have to be worrying about it all night (like don't get something strapless unless you're used to feeling like its about to fall off)

me in my prom dress

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the yellow dress (although I couldn't wear it, yellow is completely not my colour). I probably would have said red for you, but if the yellow dress suits, then it'll look great. [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate yellow. It's my least favorite color.

That said, I love the yellow dress and think it would look great on you. You're dark enough that the color would suit you, and the dress itself just looks fun (I don't think it's too much leg as long as you're comfortable wearing it.).

(And this gives me another site to look for wedding dresses on, so thanks!)

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
ps. I must tell someone how thrilled I am with this prom season.

For the past 12 years I have worked for a company that specializes in Post-Prom parties. We had the bungee runs and the sumo suits for all the lockins.

That meant I haven't enjoyed a spring truly since the early 90's.

This year I am with a new company in a new industry and can actually enjoy flowers.

I am so happy.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't wear white to a prom, unless you want to look like a debutante. Girls from my town never wear white formal dresses until they debut. The pink one is a little much for my taste and the yellow one is a little too sexy for a prom.

Here are ones that I like that I think would work for you:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2855172&category=2378467~2378483~2377032&PrevStyleID=2809380&NextStyleID=none

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2842457&category=2378467~2378483~2377032&PrevStyleID=2814208&NextStyleID=2837993

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2855173&category=2378467~2378483~2377032&PrevStyleID=none&NextStyleID=2856313

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=80d1&.dnm=8595.jpg&.src=ph

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the second one, Mrs M.

Oh, now I really wish I had a ball to go to. Where's a faerie godmother when you need one?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia:
*hijacks thread briefly*

Bridal Stuff

More Bridal Stuff

Try them on (duh) at a bridal salon before buying (and get properly sized), but these people have a decent reputation [Smile]

(If you're on a budget make sure to check out bridesmaids dresses; they're usually cheaper and many come in white/off white. Also remember to check out ordering your flowers online from a wholesaler. And if you don't have lots of money consider either getting a small wedding cake from a "professional" for show and a slab cake from a grocery store to hand out, or order a plain white cake from a grocery store (or do it yourself) and decorate it with real flowers. As someone who does wedding cakes and catering, trust me, the prices some of us charge is incredible. If you lived closer I'd offer to help out...)

*returns thread to proper place*

I love the first dress Mrs. M posted [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys, that's my cater-er self coming through [Blushing]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
That second one on Mrs. M's list is great. Would look stunning with dark, exotic features.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any local small stores that sell dresses? I went to this little boutique place for my prom and found a wonderful dress unlike all the department store type dresses. Plus, it was fun trying on all the dresses. [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I like the first one Mrs. M posted as well. It would look a bit nicer if the model wasn't slouching though. From Mrs. M's album, I picked a couple I liked (not sure if these are the right color for you though)

Link one

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas, Jaiden!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhh. Had I a place to wear it, I would be wearing this. Probably in the lilac, although the peach is nice as well.

For Alt, I love Mrs M's second link, if you're comfy with strapless. I think that would look great on you, with your fabulous hair and coloring.

[ March 16, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, That yellow dress is probably the best I've seen (My opinion, which is skewed more to the side of Ballroom dance attire [Smile] ). If you got that in red, wow. I think all the girls at the prom would be scraping their dates' jaws off the floor and giving them a good kick in the pants.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
That's not a dress, that's an Audrey Hepburn movie.
Tom Cruise, Jerry Maguire. [Smile]

I think that's my favorite line in the whole movie.

Alt, you'll look gorgeous in anything, just so you know. [Wink]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some great pictures of Ivygirl!

I really like the one in the cornfield.

[ March 17, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also really like the last one Mrs. M posted
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a Prom Dress that will be sure to get some attention!
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Actually, a girl in my senior year wore a dress almost that revealing. Zahna was always something of a free spirit.

The part I find amusing -
quote:

And to think it's all because a runway model put it on incorrectly.

But I also think it's safe to say that is way too revealing. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I ablsolutely love this dress, in turquise though. A dress like that was too expensive (and slightly too revealing) for me, so I ended up getting a different one. I'll post a link when I actually get the pictures up.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I absolutely ADORE BOH's second link.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I got the pictures up. The lighting is bad, but oh well.
Here's my dress.
And the back.

It has a bright pink underlayer, and sheer blue over it, so it ends up being like a fuschia purple. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I wasn't able to see the full sized picture, its soo small!!
x.X

TMedina
Member # 6649

That's an excellent color and (allowing for bad lighting) it looks great on you.

-Trevor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.