FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The wonderous craft that is crochet!

Author Topic: The wonderous craft that is crochet!
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever invented crochet was a genius. My mom just taught me how to crochet and I've started a scarf. I am absolutely in awe of the person who invented this craft. You take yarn and weave it into a relatively strong fabric without cutting it or anything. And unlike bead-weaving or cross stitch or other similar crafts I've done, the tools are about as simple as you can get (yarn and a hook) and you create the piece pulling up the tail of the yarn rather than threading in the head of the yarn. It's all loops pulled up into one another. It boggles my mind that someone would have thought that would work. I've watched my mom crochet in the past, and I've seen countless afgans and scarves, etc, but I never really appreciated what a wonderful invention crochet is until I started doing it myself.

My crochet skills at the moment are fairly rudimentary, but I think I'm catching the hang of it. Anyone else here crochet? Feel free to post tips, advice, or musings on the wonderful craft that it is. [Smile]

[ March 17, 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
I do!

I'm new too though, I'm spending a lot of time knitting a blanket thinggy and when I'm done with that, I'll go back to learning more crochet [Smile]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, why must you steal everything sacred from womanhood? [Cry]
[Wink]

I have a great pattern for a barbie dress, I think you'll love.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, knitting was a guy thing first, not sure about crochet.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
God, you are so- wait...
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

LOL mothertree and PC. [Big Grin]

Actually, when I was a teenager, my mom crocheted a whole wardrobe of Barbie clothes for my sister. Right now I envision myself sticking mostly to afgans and scarfs, or using the techniques of crochet to make panels to be mixed with beads and found objects for art projects.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I taught myself to crochet about 20 years ago as a young mother. My mother always crocheted afghans and doilies and things when I was growing up. I asked her a few times to show me how, but she was not very patient with me, and would just have me make endless chains.

I prefer making smaller projects to large ones... I get bored easily I suppose. I've made hundreds of crocheted beaded ponytail holders over the years, and at one time was very popular with the boys in my neighborhood because I made crocheted hacky-sacks.

I have a good friend who makes all sorts of crocheted things. Her standing joke is that she'll crochet a volkswagen for you if you can get her enough steel wool.

I've recently been teaching myself to knit, which is more exotic to me. When I was growing up, I would look at my mother's patterns (which always had patterns for both knitting and crocheting) and I always preferred the knitted things. Knitting isn't really harder than crocheting, just different. And it's basically the same idea of loops inside loops, just a different system of getting there.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel similarly about knitting, Karl. It's just so amazing that a big tangled ball of string can becomes something so organized and useful.

I want to learn to crochet, too. I've seen some fo the patterns my mom can do, and it's amazing.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

My mom knitted a project once and to say she prefers crochet would be an understatement. If I ever go that route, I'll have to teach myself or find someone else to teach me.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess it's not true that I'm teaching myself completely - more like re-teaching. I had a very sweet older British lady give me a few lessons in 1986 on basic knitting. I had too many small children at that time to do much with it, so I didn't keep up with it. I bought some knitting needles and a how to knit book a few weeks ago. The book was pretty useless, though and I ended up looking for basic knitting instructions on-line. I *think* I could have taught myself from scratch with the instructions I found here, but I had some rudimentary exposure to it a long time ago, so who knows?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to start a lot of projects, and then get too bored to finish them. I did finish crocheting a hat that I wear all the time in the winter. I started an afghan a couple years ago, but I haven't gotten very far on it yet.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I love crocheting. Unfortunately my cat loves helping me crochet, so I haven't done very much the past three years.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma taught me to crochet this past Winter...however she only taught me one stitch so I'm looking forward to her coming back this Spring so I can learn some more stitches. It's really enjoyable to just relax and actually make something practical.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma taught me to crochet about ten years ago, but I never really picked it up. This winter I read a book and taught myself to knit, that I actually like and do quite often, i've made a bunch of hats and scarves now about to start making socks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, stop now!

Crochet is a gateway craft. It leads to harder addictions like knitting, spinning and sometimes, in worst cases, macarame`...

Trust me, my wife started with crochet...

Of course, as she feverishly works at her next fix, I do have a warm scarf and nice wool socks to keep me comfy.

Maybe not all addictions are bad. [Smile]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
"Crochet is a gateway craft" [ROFL]
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a magazine how-to a few months ago, and I just got a starter kit just the other day. It's kind of girly--a bracelet, belt, bikini top, necklace and granny-square bag. I don't know if I can cut it. I've never been good with knots---unless they're the kind you don't want. I might just give it to my sister.

Hello! [Wave]
***Runs back into the night***

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great for obsessive compulsives like me! [Wink]
I still don't practice enough to be really good at it and I can only make blankets but it's fun!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned to crochet in 4-H at the methodist church down the road. I think I was 9. I just made granny squares for a long time, and then I discovered I could crochet berets. Don't worry, I never wore one to school. At my first job after college, there was a lunchtime crochet club and that's when I entered the world of crocheting twine and string to make lacy things. The barbie dresses was part of trying to get my daughter into it. I should get back to it.

I have forgotten how to knit exacly as many times as I learned how.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a mitten sitting on my desk just begging to be made. Poor mitten. If only I'd get off my lazy rear and finish it, I'd have a hat-and-mittie set.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's kind of girly--a bracelet, belt, bikini top, necklace and granny-square bag.
What good would a crochet bikini do?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I crochet some, nothing fancy or involved yet, mostly because expanding my yarn skills would take away from my cross stithcing lol
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.