FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This Slowing Down of the Metabolism... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This Slowing Down of the Metabolism...
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a just a late twenties phase, no? It speeds back up in your thirties, right guys?

Guys?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, yeah, sure, Ralphie, especially after you have kids. It's, like, sooo fast!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
How much slower can one's metabolism GET? Because mine is like, glacier slow.

[ March 17, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not so far. Up until 25, I could eat anything I want. 9 years later, it's not getting better.

Get your diet adjusted to your metabolism before 30. It's harder the longer you wait.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
(Shhh. Don't tell Ralphie that beer is like instant poundage after 35.)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How much slower can one's metabolism GET? Because mine is like, glacier slow.
Ditto. Mine better not slow down, or I'm gonna be in deeeeeeeeeep doo-doo.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's went at lightning speed until he hit 45. Then it began to slow a bit, but he can still eat three times as much as most men his age without feeling it.

*dances because of her good genetics*

[Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
There always might be something wrong with your thyroid. Is that looking on the bright side or not?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
At 32, I still have the metabolism of a jack rabbit on meth.

It's not a good thing. I really need to adjust my diet, but it's hard to find an incentive when all the damage I'm doing with it is internal (which isn't to say that I have a horrible diet, but I could do with more fruits and veggies and less sugar and fat -- I do okay in the not eating much red meat and getting enough fiber categories).

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*contemplates taking the smirk off Zal's face with a stick* [Razz]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Shhh. Don't tell Ralphie that beer is like instant poundage after 35.)
Not a problem for me. I try to limit myself to fewer than 30 beers. If I were still thirsty, I'd probably drink gin.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for all, but as a spry 23 yr old guy, I still need to watch what I eat to maintain my hotness.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, there's always "dead."

And Zal? Start running. Now. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
No smirk.

It's a real issue. I have a lovely pair of pants that I can't fit into because I lost back a few pounds that I had gained.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
And eating is one of the greater joys of living... *sigh*

*tries to stop eating so much*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

Zal, that reminds me of an overheard conversation while fixing a computer installation.

quote:

This is so hard! Life is just unfair! My husband is insisting I limit my decorating budget for our new house to only $50,000.

I'm sure, for her, this was a serious hardship. [Razz]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Not a problem for me. I try to limit myself to fewer than 30 beers. If I were still thirsty, I'd probably drink gin.
Or tequila, but you might get sick mixing alcohols, so...

This whole thing is very distressing to me. I mean, I've never been rail-thin. It's taken me most of my life to become okay with this, and accept my body the way it is. But just as I start accepting it the way it is, it starts changing on me again. Apparently, in order to lose the body fat gained from my mildly cavalier eating habits over the winter I'm going to have to work out twice as much and consume half the normal amount of calories it would normally take me.

I don't understand - I treat you right, Body! What do you want from me?!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to mix tequila with anything for it to make me sick. Though I'll grant I still haven't tried the Del Dueño you told me about but never provided. Besides, you know I'm a Sapphire man....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
My metabolism is amazing, and I am taking full advantage of it while I can.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] You, Zal, and I should form a club.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

No... that would be taunting other people. What we SHOULD do is hang out together, and invite someone else to go out to dinner with us. That way, we shame them AND taunt them. [Wink]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes club*

*chases kq and Zal and Nate*

[ March 17, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Wow...you guys sure have a mean streak going there. [Razz]

Oh, and --|-- to all of you fast metabolizers.

*grabs a pitchfork and runs with rivka*

[ March 17, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ha, ha! Each of us could eat enough for 3 people, while they gazed malevolently at their salads.
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, wow, KQ. Now I want to stick you with my pitchfork!

*stabs repeatedly*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*is protected by mounds of food surrounding her*
[Evil Laugh]

Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, no, no, no, the pitchfork is very good and moving mounds of food.

You'll be speared in no time.

*glares and makes stabbing motions*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*orders more food, sits back, and snacks on some left-over soda bread*
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Wow...you guys sure have a mean streak going there.
They're just bitter that they were never invited to any of the Think Tank meetings. We would have taunted and shamed them, but it got frustrating explaining all the barbs.

Poor Nathan. Still hugging every stranger he encounters.

Megan
Member # 5290

*mutters as she shovels*

stupid freakin' skinny people...with their stupid freakin' metabolisms...

Curse them! Curse them, precious!

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
<--Is enjoying a double burger with a large order of french fries. Plus a Pepsi.

And I will STILL be hungry after this. What's that? You want to share your salad with me? How thoughtful.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But Megan, I have an excuse! I'm nursing a baby!

*snickers when Megan's not looking*

Megan
Member # 5290

*is beginning to hate ALL the skinny hatrackers*

You can all go to heck, I tell you.

Heck!

--|-- [Mad] --|--

Oh, poop on all of you. You skinny ones have absolutely no clue.

[ March 17, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I don't resent thin people. I just wish I knew what their arcane secrets were.
rivka
Member # 4859

*mutter*

When I'm nursing, my metabolism skyrockets -- and my appetite skyrockets MORE. I gained more weight (net) while nursing than with my pregnancies.

We have clubs and pitchforks covered, I think we need torches . . .

*sets club on fire*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ralphie, I don't resent skinny people until they start mocking me and snickering behind my back.

Hence the --|--s and the "poop on all of you".

[ March 17, 2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww, Megan, I didn't mean to be mean. Honest. I wuvs you? Emma does too? *looks innocent*
rivka
Member # 4859

*agrees with Megan*
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I wasn't trying to be mean. More funny. Sorry if I crossed the line, and I do mean that. [Smile]

[ March 17, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Megan
Member # 5290

It's all good, KQ. It's just that weight is a verrry sensitive issue for those of us that shop in the Women's department (or the Big and Tall, for the guys).

It's ok, guys, I know you just meant it in fun.

*hugs all 'round*

[Group Hug]

[ March 17, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed. Especially if we've recently been reminded that we are dismissed as dating material by a large percentage of the opposite sex for that reason alone.
Megan
Member # 5290

Right on, rivka, right on.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Ralphie, here's how it works. You don't have to 'work out' twice as much per se. Working out implies, well, work. You just have to find fun, new, active hobbies to take up like dancing or sports or babysitting hyperactive children or, ummm...going to the park and chasing squirrels or... Anyway, you find something like that and do it and thus sneakily combat the slowing metabolism effects by "having extra fun" instead of "working out" more, and that'll trick your mind into thinking your metabolism's the same as before, and *that* in turn should trick your *body* into thinking its metabolism is the same as before, and then when it believes you it should change back so it's faster again, and everything will be back to normal. See, not so hard, eh? *nudges Ralphie and gives her that I-know-what-I'm-talking-about look*
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Growing up where I did, I always thought I was fat. [Dont Know] It wasn't until I moved to Texas that I realized that just having a big frame means nothing if you have a fast metabolism.

I've always found heavier women comforting, actually; they seem more motherly to me, I guess. Plus, they often enjoy good food as much as I do, instead of picking at a fruit salad and then going to throw it up. [Roll Eyes]

Megan
Member # 5290

KQ, motherly and matronly, sure, but how many women set out with that as goal for their appearance?

That said, I love food. I just have to ...not eat so much of it. [Razz] Hence my presence in the weight loss encouragement thread. I'm afraid WenchCon was not a good weekend in terms of eating right for me. [Wink]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Okay, Ralphie, here's how it works. You don't have to 'work out' twice as much per se. Working out implies, well, work. You just have to find fun, new, active hobbies to take up like dancing or sports or babysitting hyperactive children or, ummm...going to the park and chasing squirrels or... Anyway, you find something like that and do it and thus sneakily combat the slowing metabolism effects by "having extra fun" instead of "working out" more, and that'll trick your mind into thinking your metabolism's the same as before, and *that* in turn should trick your *body* into thinking its metabolism is the same as before, and then when it believes you it should change back so it's faster again, and everything will be back to normal. See, not so hard, eh? *nudges Ralphie and gives her that I-know-what-I'm-talking-about look*
Psychosymatically trick my metabolism. Hrm... I'm dubious. [Smile] Of course, since I'm already pretty active, I guess it's going to have to be my method.

Or I could just start freebasing Trim Spa X32 pills.

[ March 17, 2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

rivka
Member # 4859

My kids have told me I make a good pillow.

Sadly, not too many guys seem to appreciate Rubenesque these days.

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, see, on the bright side, by the time you realize the tricking isn't going to be happening, you'll be so used to your new super-supremely-active lifestyle (which does the same job in the end) that you can just keep using that, and voila, problem solved! But you're not supposed to realize that part until later...
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

My kids seem to think I make a good jungle gym and/or drum. Pillow would be much nicer.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think Ketchup prince consort would agree with you, Papa Moose.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.