FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This Slowing Down of the Metabolism... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This Slowing Down of the Metabolism...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, as they get taller, they find "jungle gym" more and more difficult.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, see, on the bright side, by the time you realize the tricking isn't going to be happening, you'll be so used to your new super-supremely-active lifestyle (which does the same job in the end) that you can just keep using that, and voila, problem solved! But you're not supposed to realize that part until later...
Upon further reflection, it's primarily going to have to be my diet that changes. I already play tennis weekly with my tennis partner and work out with weights fairly regularly.

I've realized that I don't eat regularly enough on a solid schedule, and while I usually eat moderately healthy I still have a mid-twenty-year-old's view of junk food. I eat gratuitiously unhealthy things (i.e. cocktails in the evening with happy hour priced nachos) at least once a week.

Nay, it's the diet that I love that I'm going to have to start altering. And that's a sad, sad thought.

(However, your advice is solid for someone who leads a more sedentary lifestyle.)

[ March 17, 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well.... Umm. Hmm. Errrr... eh, all my wit is apparently gone.

Yeah. It is hard to get more active when you already are. I'm the same, so give me 5 years and I'll be posting a similar thread if I'm still here, I'm sure. But really, a good thing is that now when you *do* let yourself eat junk food once in a while for a treat, you'll enjoy it a whole lot more, right? So that's something to look forward to!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to go on a diet and get back to my "ideal" weight.

I really did. I bought turkey bacon and tuna in brine and low-fat yoghurt and rye crackers.

Then I discovered I really like food. And man, do I hate turkey bacon.

So now I am a bigger-me, with a belly that means fitted waists are not a good look. But I figure once I whip out my pavlova, no-one's going to paying attention to the way *I* look.

[Smile]

I do make seriously good pavlova.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my biochem class, the difference between fat people and skinny people of the same age group, ethnicity, etc. usually isn't metabolism. It's fidgeting. Skinny people fidget more. So train yourself to fidget and you'll be burning more calories all the time hardly any effort! Link, another link and a last link because the others might be horrible lies.

[ March 17, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's perfectly possible to eat healthily and still eat well. We do it all the time around here. [Smile]

Although my husband generally goes and ruins it by eating a quart of ice cream afterwards.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my metabolism changed at about 20.

Up to then I ate whatever and whenever I wanted and stayed a size 4.

(I'm short).

I hit twenty and WHAM. I gained 10 kilos from 20 -22: without doing anything different.

The fact that I started drinking beer at 20 is, of course, purely coincidental.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
But really, a good thing is that now when you *do* let yourself eat junk food once in a while for a treat, you'll enjoy it a whole lot more, right? So that's something to look forward to!
[Smile]

Oh, if only Homer wasn't my idol in nearly all ways!

Moe: [referring to new deep fryer] "I just bought it from the Navy. It can flash fry a buffalo in 40 seconds."

Homer: "40 seconds? But I want it now!"

[ March 17, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. Well, is there anything else you really like besides food? You could buy some...shiny new pencils or stickers or, well, something inedible and every time you *don't* eat unhealthy snacks like you normally would, you give yourself one of them for a different kind of treat instead! Oh, hey! You could find a site with a whole bunch of pictures of Homer or quotes of his wisdom and every time you're good at eating for a day you can print a new one off and stick it on your wall. And that will inspire you and make you laugh, getting rid of grumpiness from not eating junk food all at the same time.

Edit: There's not much in pictures of him, but here's a couple, anyway. And quotations from Homer are easy to find... [Wink]

[ March 17, 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Gosh, you're ADORABLE.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. They have been really thoughtful. [Smile]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Wow, was that "adorable" aimed at me? That's one I don't get too often! Normally, people make faces or use words reminiscent of [Roll Eyes] <-that sort of a thing when I spit out ideas...

Anyhow, good luck with it all! Positive thinking's the key any which way you go about it. But you seem to be the sort that already knows that and I don't want to sound too much like a yoga teacher, so I'll just say good luck. Errr... *walks away quietly*

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Ralphie, I've been working hard at grooming Asta into a cynical, bitter, hate-machine moulded in my own image and you're positively ruining her. If you insist on continuing with this "adorable" nonsense I'm going to have to cut back on her Hatrack time.

In other words, meet me out back under the bleachers in ten.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the fidgeting!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there have been several studies and that's what researchers hypothesize makes the difference between skinny couch potatoes and not-so-skinny ones.

Physical activity is still physical activity.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Cytomel.

For thyroids that don't work, and the ending of weight gain.

. . . . .

My only other thoughts revolve around:

1) On-demand breastfeeding tends to lose the weight rather rapidly (one of the many good reasons to nurse!)
2) Work on a roofing crew - particularly doing tear-off. Rapid weight loss that levels out and becomes toned, in shape muscle mass.
3) Become a vegetarian.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
But fidgeters annoy me SO MUCH!! (sigh) I wish I could fidget.

You know, all you guys are making me look forward to is losing the weight I want to after much struggle and change, while just having that taken away from me when I reach thirty. Hateful, hateful people.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hence the comments earlier in the thread - losing weight is a goal.

Keeping it off is a lifestyle change.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My metabolism changed at 19. Of course, that was due to the evil birth control I was on...but now, 40 pounds heavier, I am faced with only one alternative.

The South Beach Diet.

Bum Bum BUM!

Tune in next week to see if I've managed not to claw my intenstines out during rosemary olive oil bread withdrawal.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep. If you aren't getting enough, your metabolism will slow down. If you're seriously sleep deprived, it will slow down even more.

Back in the early days of my severe sleep deprivation, I would gain 10-20 pounds in a matter of a day or three. And no, I wasn't horking down food. Sudden unexplained weight gains are the hallmark of sleep deprivation.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

quote:
You know, Ralphie, I've been working hard at grooming Asta into a cynical, bitter, hate-machine moulded in my own image and you're positively ruining her.
Well, Bob, I guess this simply shows that you must be just adorable at heart too. I mean, really, we all know you're a gentle-hearted, kind, positive, encouraging softie underneath that pretensive cynical edge... Sorry? What? Who's ruining whose image where now? [Razz]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
RE: Self-image issues

Ralphie, you're haWt. That's right, with a capital W.

Now move along.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I find extended cardio work to be better for weight loss than weight work. weight work generally converts fat to muscle, and muscle is denser/heavier than fat, so it's not uncommon to gain weight (good weight, mind you) doing it. Cardio can increase your metabolism. I have a friend who is a marathon runner who needs to eat 3000 or so calories a day in order to not LOSE weight... And he weighs about 130.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I was underweight when I went to college. I was a lot more active in college than in HS, and I slept less. I gained a bit of healthy weight, even though I was a size 4. Eventually, though... mid twenties I guess, I gained some more than I wanted. I was about a size 8. But it looked good. I looked better as a size 8 than as a size 4.

I gained up to some insane amount, like 180 during/just after preganancy. When Robert was a year old, I was lower than pre-pregnancy wieght, but it was because I ate right and lifted weights.

Weight training builds muscle, which burns fat. It worked. I didn't gain so much with baby 2 but I didn't lose it either. I carry it well, though.

I'm down 15 lbs since Christmas, and I'd like to lose maybe 15 more. I'm not unhappy with how I look, though. The WenchCon pictures show how I look now. That is me at about 150 lbs. I'm tallish. *shrug* My doctor says I'm fine, for a woman my age *wince*

Metabolism is a big part of it, and a big part of metabolism is genetics. That sucks, but it's true. Find a way that works for you, and stick to it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always done cardio. I bike 34+ miles a trip, I run and stuff. Very healthy heart. I'm fit, but still have a bit of flab here and there. 30 min of hard cardio every day for six months didn't change my size at all, and I was still eating healthy foods, and not to excess.

Didn't lose inches and tone until I started with weight lifting and other exercises. I love lunges and Roman chair leg lifts!

But I'm not there yet. I think it's different for every one.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record:

I wasn't poking fun at all. I realize that usually there's a snarky undertone to everything I post, but I'm being absolutely freakin serious here.

And: I am convinced that for me it's not the fidgeting -- it's a by-product of too much thinking. My mind is just way too intense (that's not always a good thing).

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Bok: That's a very nice thing for you to say. For the record, this (uncharacteristically) was not compliment fishing. I still feel I'm pretty smokin', I'm just concerned over this change in my body.

My main goal was to see if it's COMMON for your metabolism to slow in your late twenties. I had always been under the impression it was more common in your thirties.

Olivet - I don't know why, but I lurve muscle training. There's this delicious fatigue that you experience that I just can't get enough of. [Smile]

It's also been the absolute best way for me to lose fat. "I turn my body into a fat burning mah-cheen!"

[ March 18, 2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to my biochem class, the difference between fat people and skinny people of the same age group, ethnicity, etc. usually isn't metabolism. It's fidgeting.
See, in my mind, this is more or less the same thing as metabolism.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...no.

Think of fidgeting as exercise. If person A has a higher metabolism than person B and they both do the same amount of exercise, then person A will burn more calories. But people who fidget do more exercise.

Fidgeting isn't something that's innate. You can learn to do it. For example, my older brother shakes his leg a lot by moving it up and down on the ball of the foot while he's sitting. I looked at that and tried to emulate it. Within a few weeks I was shaking my leg with no conscious thought. I stopped when I realized how many people could tell I was shaking my leg, and that they found it annoying.

I also like to play with pencils or pens by twirling them. It's fun and distracting when I'm bored. I learned how to do this during Calculus in high school when I was bored. Now I do it all the time without even thinking about it.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Shhh. Don't tell Ralphie that beer is like instant poundage after 35.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a problem for me. I try to limit myself to fewer than 30 beers. If I were still thirsty, I'd probably drink gin.

Is that like in a day or in an hour?

[ April 02, 2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.