FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've been macintoshed (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've been macintoshed
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for bad motherboards [Mad]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm thinking too, fugu-- thanks for the link.

Grr. I love my mac, but it's just so expensive. . . and the warranty (which was extended) expired in December.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
scottneb, I have a 17-inch iMac, too - a G5. How do you like yours?
I absolutely love the thing. I kept my 1.3 GHz WinXP machine around in case I had a compatibility problem and have never even turned it back on since the iMac arrived. My favorite feature is the File Vault that encrypts your Home Folder based on your password. I also love the built in Fire Wall and the ease of using it. My wife finally got started on Photoshop, which she gave up on when using the PC.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I haven't used FileVault. I am worried that I will forget my password and lose my stuff forever. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I don't understand why moving the monitor makes everything freeze. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Scott, did you ever find out what was wrong with your computer?

My iMac G5, bought when they first came out back in November, has been having system freezes with increasing frequency. I took it to the Apple Store yesterday and was told that the system freezes are kernel panics, and that I will probably need the midplane assembly replaced.

Hope it doesn't take too long, I miss my nice computer. My hubbly's IBM laptop is old and slow.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Just for the record, I just got a call from the Apple Store and they are, in fact, replacing the midplane assembly of my iMac - the tech said it should take a couple of days.

I miss my computer!!! [Cry]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's been gone for a week today. [Frown] I might get it back tonight.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Ela-- no, I'm trying to finagle some free support.
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
My iMac had a problem with the fans making WAY too much noise. It wasn't, as they said, "whisper quiet." They sent me the midplane assembly and I did the install myself in about two hours. I'm very surprised at how easy it was to replace such an extensive part.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.