FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've been macintoshed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've been macintoshed
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My new job comes with a new toy. Can you say PowerBook? Its small and not much to look at, but then again its small and has everything I need.

After 20 years of Microsoft Slavedom, I have gone to the little apple. What brave new world awaits.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What size? Which one? C'mon, share specs.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. (said in tones of reverence)
[Hail] MACS!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

New dog and early day tomorrow call me away. I'll post specs later.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
New dog! Pics! Story!

(Yes, I'm demanding.)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
run a search for "raven" in the subject line. It should be "the newest raven" or something. And congrats on the mac, dan.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
OH the joy of a 1 buttoned mouse.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
kaio, you do know that any 2-button USB mouse works on a mac immediately on plug-in? Just checking. Almost sounds like you're trolling.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm touched too ! I'm macintoshed [Wink]

My apple is beautiful !

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a 17-inch iMac. Beauty! Plain and simple Beauty!

[EDIT] But, I'm stuck using a PC at work.

[ March 18, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
So when are they going to get you a computer?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My PowerBook and I had a torrid affair, eloped and ran off to Europe.

May you have many grand adventures. [Smile]

Oh, and for reference: Fugu knows the answers to all your questions.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I see all your Macs, and raise you:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we could get a 30 inch display instead.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My PowerBook and I had a torrid affair, eloped and ran off to Europe.
No you didn't! [Mad] [Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hey - you have no right to say anything, Mr. EqualOpportunityKisser. [Mad]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Equal opportunity for leaning one way or another, I only kiss you. [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Mine is a PowerBook G4 12-Incher.....

But size doesn't matter. Its how you wiggle the mouse.

Annie
Member # 295

Mine's the 12 inch too Dan, and I absolutely love it. I can fit this baby places that no one's ever fit a computer before.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its like people are trying to get into the OOC thread [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, but I got mine for $903, inculding shipping.

I'll take 3 of mine for every one of yours.

[Razz]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Bok's jealous and is trying to come up with ways to justify buying an inferior product.

Give in Bok...give in...

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Hey, I have an iPod mini, don't confuse me for being a hater. [Smile]

Macs are cool, but I'm a gadgeteer, and like putting my systems together... Apple severely limits you in that regard. but they make generally decent product.

-Bok

Annie
Member # 295

Apple's icons bounce when you click on them. That's so cute and totally worth the extra money.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I would love a Powerbook. My sister's Powerbook is so cute, and she takes it with her everywhere.

scottneb, I have a 17-inch iMac, too - a G5. How do you like yours?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a mac laptop for christmas. The college I'm transferring to next year requires them in the Elementary Education department (weird I know) but I'm more excited than most people I've heard, who'd rather stay with PC's. Just a bit curious about the differences.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I hate the bouncy icons. They're just annoying, especially when they keep bouncing.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem I've ever had with a Mac is trying to scale back my options from a PC to the very specific solutions with a Mac.

Which sounds completely bizarre, but there ya go.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
are there any differences I'd actually notice? People (nonhatrackers) usually say there are. Oh well I'll make fugu explain it when I actually get mine.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kaio, you do know that any 2-button USB mouse works on a mac immediately on plug-in? Just checking. Almost sounds like you're trolling.
Heh, yes I know - it's just that in one of my classes we have to use the Macs that they have on campus, and since we're not allowed to modify them in any way we have to use the 1 buttoned mouse it comes with. I like Macs, and the 1 buttoned mouse *does* look cool [Cool]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

JB -- you know, you can turn those off completely.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the new 17 in screen iMac G5. And I love it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I only use Macs in class (twice a week), so I haven't had time to explore all the display options and whatnot. How do you disable it, fugu?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Go into the Dock Preferences, which you can do by either clicking on System Preferences in the apple menu and then clicking on Dock, or by right clicking (control clicking on a 1 button mouse) on the dock itself (not an app in the doc; the divider line is a good place), and choosing Dock Preferences. . .

In Dock Preferences, uncheck the box for "Animate opening applications".

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sun, you are using a definition of "trolling" I am not familiar with. [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
SteveRogers, are you having any problems with your iMacG5? My husband bought mine for me hot off the presses, when it was first available, and it seems to have a few quirks - will be taking it to the Apple Store this week to be checked out.

In general, though, I love my Mac. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mine's the 12 inch too
Hobbes, you studmuffen! [Big Grin] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Crash Different.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironic that that guy's css doesn't work in Safari.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Macs, and the 1 buttoned mouse *does* look cool
It looks cool, but I don't like using it. I need my right-clicker and my scroll wheel. [Smile]

After many years of being a Mac-geek wannabe who only used a PC because I wasn't the one buying the computers, I finally have my own little 14-inch iBook G4. Haven't looked back once. I love my Mac. [Cool]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Ic, while he actually had no intention (as clarified, thanks kaio), I was using the commonly accepted definition of "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument" as the "one-button mouse" argument is one of the most oft-repeated but useless points that could be brought up against macs.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My definition differs in that I think intent to harm (be it "merely" hurt feelings) is a necessary characteristic of trolling. I saw the post in question as nothing more than gentle (and certainly harmless) teasing.

Further, if someone posted "I don't like macs because _______," I don't think that would be trolling either, though one could argue that it fits your definition). I don't see any malice in opening up a discussion, and that's central to my definition.

[ March 21, 2005, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Shrug! I wasn't sure about his intention, which was later clarified.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple Working on 2-Button Mouse?

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the motherboard on my 14-month-old dual G5 died last week for no apparent reason, and given the exorbitant cost of a replacement part, Apple and I are going to have what I think will be a fairly terse discussion on the subject of quality assurance.

There's no way that a motherboard, even for a three-thousand-dollar system, should cost seven hundred Canadian dollars.

[ March 21, 2005, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Something's wrong with our beloved Powerbook G4 as well.

I wish I could tell you what it is-- alas, the screen does not work, and plugging a monitor into the monitor port avails nothing either.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Scott -- if its not coming on at all, its almost certainly a loose connection.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me clarify, then-- sometimes it comes on, but then gives me a number of error messages ranging from 'Default catch' to Hex code.

Sometimes, it beeps at me three times on boot, then the monitor light flashes at me-- one long, three short flashes. (I've been looking online, and haven't found the meaning of these error codes)

I have not added anything (RAM, etc) to this laptop. I'm afraid that I may have burned out one of the internal components-- we last used it to watch a DVD in bed. While we did put it on a hard surface while watching it, after I closed the lid, I put it on the floor, where the ventilation may have been blocked a bit.

I work about five miles from the Apple store in Tyson's Corner, so depending on when I leave work this afternoon, I'm going to take it by there. I hate to do that ($$), so if someone can offer any reasonable do-it-yourself advice. . .

One more thing-- moving the monitor seems to make the laptop freeze up.

Just restarted it -- on the apple screen got a dump page, and a restart notice.

Hmm.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The apple store will at least be able to give you some direction without cost, check out the genius bar.

Took a little bit, but I found the page with the POST codes:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442

Sounds like bad RAM.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Actually, given the array of problems you note, could be a bad motherboard.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.