FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Road trip! Now with a material science question. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Road trip! Now with a material science question.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Aughh! I saw this too late!

Congratz on the new bike, and have a safe trip.

Rain (2 hours east of Columbus in the middle of nowhere)

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
8:40 a.m. - crossed border into Wisconsin. eljay driving; vpwilli grasping panic bar; trailer pushing vehicle along nicely.

11:11 a.m. - in Madison. eljay is driving; vpwilli has finally released the grip on the panic bar long enough to wave at Sara, Tom and Christy. Trailer is still keeping up.

It's hard to get any work done here, with all the various phone calls I've been getting this morning! [Big Grin]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Well shoot, Liza...I think I'm gonna be in Columbus on Monday. So close.

If you feel the urge to stop by Cincinnati, though...

Or I'll just see you next week. [Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
The 2:00 p.m. update from eljay:
We're circling Chicago. It's raining. [Frown] We have our frozen water bottles setting on the dash to thaw them (thanks, Mom!). We waved to Vana and Lime in Rockford and AJ, Xnera and Goody in Chicago. When we get to Indiana, we're just gonna [Wave] every 10 minutes 'cause we can't keep up with y'all who live there. Whoever's driving that white trailer is still tailgating us.

Oh - and we hate the Illinois tollroads. Just because there's a trailer trailing us, we have to pay MORE than twice the fare.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
3 pm: ElJay and vpwilli both deny responsibility for failing to check their planned route for road construction. And they hate Chicago.

The trailer is still following.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say "Godspeed" except that, really, you're much better off doing the speed limit. Chicago has the toughest traffic courts in the country, by the way.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

6:00 p.m. (7:00 eastern):
Approaching Indianapolis - progress was very slow in Chicago area. [Grumble]
Official record: this is the farthest vpwilli has ever driven without stopping at a Dairy Queen. His consolation - using eljay's credit card at the gas pump.

Edit: dkw was right - DQ stops are common on most of our trips - but not this one - so far!

[ March 25, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: KrabbyPatty ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

10:15 eastern:

They've reached the outskirts of Columbus and can see the lights of downtown; are heading for a hotel near the airport. That is fairly close to the Yamaha V-Star they'll be picking up in the morning.

At 9:20, eljay waved to msquared as they passed through Dayton.

Reflections on travel: Indianapolis is better to drive through than Chicago. Ohio handles road construction much better than Illinois.

Note to Bob_Scopatz: "I think the trailer is gaining on us."

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was supposed to be the furthest Dad has ever driven without stopping at a Dairy Queen.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

Morning update - message from eljay:

[The Wave] [The Wave]

I got a bike! I got a bike!! I got a bike!!! And it's gorgeous, fabulous, beautiful and fits me perfectly! I love it. Dad says it's OK. It's shiny - there's not a scratch on it. And Bob's trailer is very nice.

[Party]

We've planned the route home - it does NOT include Chicago.

[ March 27, 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: KrabbyPatty ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Shucks, I'm getting all green with envy over here. Not about the bike - those, I'm chicken of - but of the fun! And road trips! And being able to actually go more than 50 km an hour (Or, um, 30 mph for you Yanks.)

And Dairy Queen. And blessed coolness. And . . . I dunno. That's all I can think of right now.

Hope you're having fun, Eljay and all the rest of you. [Wave]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

1:30 update from eljay:

Toured Data Center and got a late start. We're 10 miles into Indiana and still no D.Q. stop. Not only is the trailer still following us, but there's a pretty sweet bike in it.

ETA Home: midnight

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame you for avoiding Chicago on the way back. I'd have counseled against driving through Chicago on the way out if I'd known. Our lovely governor just recently jacked up all tolls for cash paying drivers state-wide, and it's really creating a lot of complaints. A trucker friend even told me that his company is boycotting Illinois entirely.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Eljay!

And we expect to see a picture in riding leathers.

Although I'm not sure where you'll find anything in the bike's size, but good luck. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] [The Wave]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

A call - earlier than expected. vpwilli and eljay are discussing the name for the process by which something is turned from a solid to a liquid by vibration without changing its temperature - as in tapping your malt against the countertop to liquify it (this is a McDonald's malt btw, they still have not achieved DQ).

They were crossing the Little Vermillion River at 7:23 p.m. - they think they're about an hour from Wisconsin.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquefaction. And the temperature never changes while a phase transition is going on. The only difference here is that you are adding energy to your material by mechanical means instead of heat flow.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Ding ding ding ding! KoM wins.
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

D'oh! That sounds way too easy. And not at all technical. [Big Grin]
twinky
Member # 693

Liquefaction is distinct from liquification. To effect the phase change you have to add energy to the system; typically this energy is added as heat (say, on a stove or in a microwave), but while the phase change is occuring the temperature of the substance does not change because the energy input is all going into changing the phase. This is, obviously, still true if the energy input is mechanical (shaking, stirring) in nature, as KoM said. In fact, I basically just repeated what he said in a much less concise fashion. If you want a jargon-laden explanation I can start talking about enthalpy... [Wink]
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

Oops! Thanks, Twinky, for the clarification. I obviously misread liquefaction as liquification. [Blushing] I really should have noticed that, considering all the proof-reading I do in my day job. Enthalpy is not a word I see in that job, either . . .
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
KP, since I'm not going to be awake when the road warriors arrive home, please just give them a big thumbs-up sign from me for a job well done. I'm glad the trailer worked out and I really am glad that ElJay is so pleased with her purchase.

I think I'll paint a giant face on the front of the trailer so it can stare at us when we drive around.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

ElJay says [Hail] , King of Men and Twinky!

And they're in Wisconsin, but are thinking they may stop somewhere rather than finish the trip tonight.

twinky
Member # 693

Enthalpy is basically heat energy. For the purposes of phase changes and chemical reactions, the net heat change from the start of the process to the end is called delta H (H is the symbol for enthalpy).

Water, for example, has a standard heat of fusion of 334 joules per gram. This means that to thaw one gram of ice at 0°C you need to add 334 J of energy to it (in this case, by banging your malt on the countertop).

The heat energy change in a chemical reaction is denoted the same way. Most hydrocarbons, for instance, have a known standard heat of combustion (combustion being a reaction between a hydrocarbon and oxygen that produces carbon dioxide and water when it goes to completion), which enables you to calculate how much energy you get as heat when you burn a certain quantity of a given hydrocarbon.

Er. Not that you had any interest in any of that. [Razz]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

KP, remind them that they have the giant cable of death and the lock of permanence in the trailer and can attach same to any suitable object within 50 feet or so of the trailer to make it feel safer to go to sleep tonight.

Just remind them not to drive off with the trailer thus locked to something else, or it'll cause a loud bang, much rending of metal, and no-one will be very pleased.

[Wink]

I highly recommend sleeping if they are fatigued...rather than trying to push on through.

Safety first!!!

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

Twinky, thanks for the explanation of enthalpy. It's a cool word . . . perhaps I'll try to work it into conversation. My other favorite word to work into conversation is conspicuity.

Bob, I reminded them about the cable and lock. They are stopping this side of Madison and driving home in the morning.

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

ElJay called from Wabasha, MN, and requested popovers for 9:15 a.m. They were watching icebreakers on Lake Pepin . . . and eagles. [Cool]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Now tell us how thixotropy hinders drinking a milkshake without a straw. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think that was supposed to be the furthest Dad has ever driven without stopping at a Dairy Queen."

Must be a Midwest thing. Here, we go from Dunkin Donuts to Dunkin Donuts. Routes are planned this way.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
We are at Mom & Dad's. The popovers were delicious. [Smile]

After I KP gets a look at the bike and we rest a bit, we'll head off for the final 18 miles or so home... Thanks everyone, for your well wishes and information-providing. [Wink]

(I love my bike.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Party]
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

Dagonee -

Have you checked out this site re: thixotropy ?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
For ElJay: A reminder.

You've lost that excuse. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Good point, rivka. However, my bike will not be in Iowa. It will not even be on property that is in anyway associated with me. So I'm not going to worry too much. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And they're in Wisconsin, but are thinking they may stop somewhere rather than finish the trip tonight.
Aaaaauuuggggghh!

We were out of town, and you could have had the whole townhouse apartment to yourself. And played with the guys! And the Floppy family!

Rats! Curses! Fie on bad timings. [Mad]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*laugh* Thanks for the thought, CT, but really, we pulled in to the hotel, passed out, woke up at 3:51 (unintentionally) bickered for a few minutes and were on the freeway before 4:30. So our surroundings didn't matter too much.

We certainly would have played with the guys, however. [Wink]

[ March 28, 2005, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff* ElJay, you didn't mention how cool I am. [Cry]

Just kidding. [Smile] I'm glad the bike is as sweet as you hoped, and I'm glad you made it home in one piece.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I figured everybody already knows you're way-cool. [Big Grin]

I kinda regret that we didn't play Air Pirates, though. We should've tried it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time. [Smile]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, geez, I've had those kind of motel sleepovers before, too. Glad you made it back okay.

And you are close enough for visiting, so I cannot be too crushed. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.