FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puzzle (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Puzzle
dspeyer
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for dspeyer   Email dspeyer         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Well, it seems like a "move" is decreasing a block of adjacent dice by the same number and checkmate is either 11111 or 11121. This is really random though ... sure I'm missing something.

Posts: 643 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
11122 also works.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dspeyer
Member # 758

Oh wow, that's wierd. 11222 gives 2 moves, not 1, even though I could reduce the middle die by 1 to get to the position Tom points out.
Posts: 643 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have this figured out but I have no idea what Checkmate! has to do with it and I don't believe this assertion from the webpage owner:

quote:
After hearing of this game, I was able to figure out the secret immediately.
It may have not taken long, but immediately is a pretty big stretch.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it out from the deliberately convoluted source code. It seems to me a pretty random algorithm. It has nothing to do with chess.

If you want to know what it is email me at mash@best.com with CHECKMATE! in the title so I see it through the cacaphony of spam.

Pix

(edit: DO NOT use my comments on your comment page. btw, isn't "gosu" supposed to be spelled "gou shi"?)

[ March 22, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of us have figured out this algorithm from the source code--myself included. But the point is that we see no relation to Checkmate, and it seems, as you said, like an arbitrary algorithm, and so we're trying to find a different rationale for getting right answers, that has the "elegance" that
SPOILER
taking the largest die, discarding its neighbors, summing the values and subtracting three
END SPOILER
lacks. Hence the suggestion, above, that the source found a deliberately inelegant way to get the right answer to obfuscate the better solution. The author (?) himself suggests as much when he or she repeatedly states, in the commnents, that it's not some random algorithm, and that the name is relevant.

I figured out the Petals Around the Rose thing, which I had not seen before, in about twenty minutes. I don't know if this is good or bad. I have easily spent longer on this one and not figured out the solution, and apparently Hatrack's combined brainpower is stumped as well.

Wouldn't it suck if the whole thing were just a hoax?

[ March 22, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Well, it seems like a "move" is decreasing a block of adjacent dice by the same number and checkmate is either 11111 or 11121. This is really random though ... sure I'm missing something.

quote:

11122 also works.

As do 12111 and 12211.

[ March 22, 2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a hint for those of us trying to figure it out without looking at the source code.

Put "0," that's the number zero, in all the boxes and press solve. Try using negative numbers.

It helps a bit.

I still don't get the "checkmate" reference.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Based on the source code, I suspect that the answers you are getting for negative numbers are GIGO.

In fact, it just adds all of your negative numbers and subtracts three.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Well dang. I thought I was on to something.

Thanks for the heads up though.

*rolls again*

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
On the comments page:
quote:
[Editor's Note: It appears I've upset a few users in one particular forum. One of them says they might sue me or might try to get my page removed :-( But I will definitely talk to my lawyer about it tomorrow (just kidding, I'm not old enough to have a lawyer)! Oh, rika means business, s/he put an angry face at me, I hope they don't get too mad]
A bit immature, if you ask me.

Also, saying
quote:
Apparently this link was posted in quite a few forums.
is rather disingenuous when you post the link yourself.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

If he can't spot an obvious joke, his loss.

edit: in fact, I grant him a license to reproduce any of my posts, provided they are reproduced in their entirety and with clear attribution, and that if he reproduces any I feel lack sufficient context I may require he put up additional commentary by me (likely merely another post or two I made on the subject), but he may always take down the post he has up instead of putting up my additional content.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't it suck if the whole thing were just a hoax?
It would suck for the person who came up with the hoax. I guarantee it. [Razz]

Mike has posted fun math puzzles on hatrack before, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
And now the link to the comments page is gone.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Methinks somebody is a touch sensitive.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dice Game Person: All you had to do was ask; most of us would have said yes. We're not just names and comments, we're real people [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Teshi.

Although, given the nature of the comments-about-the-comments on the comments page (say THAT five times fast), I might not have.

They are fairly mean-spirited. Which makes me wonder more and more whether this whole thing is a hoax/joke.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yes, but I think that were the person treating us as real people, he or she would not be making such comments at our expense.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Possibly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm trying to get into the head of the author, here. The actual process used is fairly simple, but I can't for the life of me figure out what this has to do with any meaning or permutation of the word "checkmate."

And I figured out "Petals Around the Rose" quite literally on the second roll. It took me under a minute.

But this one makes no sense whatsoever.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tom on this one. It's very simple to do in your head, but a connection to "Checkmate!"? No idea. [Dont Know]

SPOILERS... (as if I need the warning anymore at this point in the thread)

Maybe something to do with not being able to move next to high numbers? But why subtract three at the end? Seems pretty arbitrary.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I didn't figure out Petals Around The Rose very quickly. It probably took me a good 1/2 hour or more. This one took me longer than that and I did need to analyze the source code (as the -3 seems very arbitrary). I really can't think of any association this has to Checkmate.

SPOILER

The checkmate condition seems to be getting the dice down to 3 ones (so the -3 will make the total 0).

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

No. Two fours and three ones doesn't make a checkmate.
solo
Member # 3148

That's not really what I meant.

BIGGER SPOILERS
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
The dice seem to affect the adjacent ones. A bigger number will "kill" the adjacent dice (set them to 0). You start with the highest number die (if there are more than one of the same value, you give precedence to the one on the left). For example: 41235 - the 5 sets the 3 to 0, then the 4 sets the 1 to 0, the 2 then has a 0 on either side and affects nothing. You then add the non-0 values up and subtract 3 to get 8 as the answer.

In the case of 11111 the first 1 kills the second 1, the third 1 kills the fourth 1 and you are left with 10101. Add them up and subtract 3 to get an answer of 0.

This algorithm works but I don't know what it has to do with Checkmate!

[ March 23, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: solo ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you are left with only two non-zero values: 1 6 1 6 1 yields 9, which leaves a 1 and a 2 in place of the sixes.

I got this visually, and had to arbitrarily put in values to confirm the minus 3. Having read the source code, I can't know for sure if the visual impression (kind of like islands of "power" emanating out from the highest dice) was totally correct, because it's been adjusted by my knowledge of the source code.

I still can't find a "physical" explanation, related to checkmate! or not. I think it's possible he screwed up the source code.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER
quote:
This algorithm works but I don't know what it has to do with Checkmate!
That's actually the one thing I do get. My assumption from the outset was that the "mate" probably referred to adjacent dice. I'd thought "check" meant "to consult," but based on solo's post, I suppose it means "to stop."

I don't know where subtracting three would enter into it, though...

(Petals on the Rose was much more straightforward. Got that one in about three minutes.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Welcome to Hatrack, Shmuel. [Smile]

Is it me, or have we a sudden influx of Jewish newbies? (mostly on the other side . . .) I'm very curious as to why that might be, if so.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

Aleichem sholom, rivka. [Smile]

In my case, you can blame/credit Chris Bridges for my joining here. He's referred to various threads here for some time in our conversations, and I eventually started lurking... and, you know, one thing led to another, and here I am. Thanks for the welcome!

[ March 24, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Any friend of Chris' will be a great addition to Hatrack. [Smile]

May I ask how you know Chris? You aren't even in the same state as he is!

dspeyer
Member # 758

I don't understand the described solution. 46444 yields 7 moves. How does the "delete neighbors of largest cube, add and subtract 3" give the answer?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Stepping in so I can out him.

Shmuel is my writing buddy, met online some years back. We've chatted and e-mailed for quite a while, met once in New York City when I went there for the express purpose of meeting several URL friends from around the country, and we manage to find something to IM and giggle about every day.

Last year he started taking column-writing courses in college and ended up with a deadline similar to my work deadline, so we started bouncing ideas and drafts off each other.
I offer him direction and dumbass ideas, he offers impeccable copyediting abilities and the wisdom to tell me when my columns drift off into the kingdoms of Unfunny and Lame.

Most Monday nights we can be found sending lengthy IMs to each other until the wee hours, explaining why the other has to delete the part he really likes.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Re: dspeyer's post:

Saying "SPOILER" is probably pointless now, but here it is again: SPOILER!

quote:
I don't understand the described solution. 46444 yields 7 moves. How does the "delete neighbors of largest cube, add and subtract 3" give the answer?
You missed the step where the largest remaining cube has the same effect after the first deletion goes through. So 46444 begets 06044, then 06004, or possibly 06040. Either way, add 'em up and you get 10. Subtract 3, and you get 7. Voila!
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile]

I have online friends like that -- some of whom aren't even on Hatrack. Yet.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So 46444 begets 06044, then 06004, or possibly 06040.
06044 definitely becomes 06040. The checking of mates goes left to right (see, for example, 56666 versus 66665). As for the interpretation of the puzzle title, I think it's lame. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.