FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can you explain my illness?

Author Topic: Can you explain my illness?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on going to the doctor tomorrow if this continues, but before I go I'd like to have some idea of what this might be -- just for my own peace of mind.

Monday morning I woke up with crippling nausea...crippling in the sense that I didn't want to get out of bed until I had to -- for work. And I didn't want to eat anything (not normal for me) When I stood up I got momentarily dizzy, and at work I had to battle waves of nausea and a minor headache in order to earn $40 dollars in tips [Grumble]

Yesterday night I broke the South Beach diet I've been on since Friday and ate two hot dog (one with lowfat cheese) in order to have something in my system. I felt momentarily better but the nausea returned before bed and though I did manage about 4-5 hours of sleep, when I woke up at around 8am, I couldn't get back to sleep for a very long while because my stomach hurt so much.

I finally did and slept until just a few minutes ago, and now i have to shower, choke down a bowl of applesauce, and go to work again until 10.

For summary, and more info, I've been on the South Beach diet since Friday, and I've been on the birth control patch Ortho-Evra for about three months now...last week was my week off, so Sunday morning I started the patch again.

Various theories from family members, friends, and boyfriend include too much protein in my diet making my constipated...would the nausea really be that overwhelming? -- The birth control just reacting badly with my system this month...I have truthfully had minor nausea with the patch in previous months, nothing compared to when I was on the shot, but...

And my one friend had a 46 hour bug last week that made her feel faint and nauseated. So i could have that, because she actually almost passed out at work and even threw up with that...except it was only one day of feeling really nasty, and I'm well into day two.

I would welcome any and all thoughts and I promise promise to see a doctor tomorrow.

edit: i forgot to mention the crazy part, which is that in general in life I'll get where if i even think of a certain food I want to gag and have to quickly think of something else or I would probably throw up...a mental thing, i'm sure, brought on by eating too much of something or what not. But since yesterday morning I have not been able to stomach the thought of any meal i've had since starting the diet. I say any meal, because i can stomach the thought of eating my favorite chicken thing at Buca di Beppo, which would be okay for the diet. But *anything* i've had since Friday is overwhelming nauseating. And i hope i never have to use the word "nausea" in any form that much ever again [Smile]

[ March 22, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

- posted      Profile for Hammer           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a doctor but it could be a couple of things.

Yup, the flu bug.

If the pain continues affecting eating etc, could be the gallbladder.

Chieken noodle soup dearie--it's God's miracle drug.

Other than that, see the doc.

Get better.

Hammer

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently low-carb, and while...passage isn't necessarily as easy as before, it's not painful. I don't know much about birth control, but I have heard of people having dose issues, and those ought to have showed up by now. If it goes much longer, I would suggest getting checked out. Something is obviously wrong, whether it's a passing affliction or more serious. I hope you figure it out soon. Take care.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I think any time you change your eating habits, your system has to adjust. I went on a Katie-stop-eating-junk diet on Sunday, and I was nauseated all Monday. It's better today.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I was expecting a little discomfort, but nothing this magnitude. Did you have not-want-to-get-out-of-bed-or-eat-ever-again nausea? Cause two days of that and you start thinking J.K. Rowling is like, your friend, or something...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

...hey!... [Razz]

It was pretty awful yesterday. I didn't feel better until I ate dinner - a lean budget gourmet and a vanilla yogurt (I don't cook.). I didn't sleep very well either. But today is much better.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was once on a cabbage soup diet that was basically low carb but very strictly regulated and the one thing you could eat a lot of was this weird acidy cabbage, tomato and pepper soup. I didn't exactly love the stuff, but tried it anyway. The fourth day on the diet, though, I couldn't get near it. Just the smell of the soup make me woozy and when I tried putting some in a blender and drinking it really fast, I actually did throw up.

So it could very well be the diet, but I don't know.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

On the other hand, I just got an e-mail from Coccinelle that says she has been throwing up all day and feels too yucky to move. So maybe there's a bug going around. On the third hand, I think she's been trying to eat very healthy lately also.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That nails it! Healthy is bad for you! Back to junk food for everyone!

Annie: I've done the cabbage soup thing. Bleah.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like it could be either of two things - the flu or side-effects from your birth control. If it's the flu, you should be feeling better in a day or so. Unfortunately, if it's your birth control, it also will probably feel better in a day or so. Did you have any nausea either of the other 2 months you've been on it? I had similar problems with a couple different ones for the first few days of the new cycle. They would go away after a couple days, but it was still obnoxious, so if it happened for more than 1 cycle, I'd ask to be switched to something else (since there are about a million different medications). If you didn't have nausea either of the other 2 months, I'd learn towards the flu as your problem.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
cabbage soup is yummy.

...Once a month or so.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nausea plus headache to me spells dehydration. Nausea that bad probably means additionally complications (the BC? low blood sugar from the diet? both?).

Could you be dehydrated?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Unlikely, rivka, because althought most days of the week i drink maybe 2-3 glasses of water, on the nights i work (sun, mon, tues) i drink upwards of 6-8.

On a happier note, i'm feeling tremendously better. I am no longer constipated, and i even had the appetite for a burger...no roll...and a salad.

I've had very bad luck with all birth controls, ludosti, namely Depo-Provera. I was on that for 9 months and in that time gained 30 pounds and would have boughts of similarly crippling nausea, but only after I ate. I would get mild nausea just eating in general -- it prompted me to go to a doctor. I got xrayed for ulcers but around that time I also decided to get off the shot for good and the nausea disappeared. I've only experienced it again recently because i started the Ortho-evra...but it's negligible and very manageable.

Anyhoo, thanks for everyone's thoughts and imput -- we'll see how i feel in the morning, i guess.

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for feeling better! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the SouthBeachDiet could certainly have been the cause: headaches, nausea, digestive problems, lack of energy, listlessness, lack of mental accuity, aimlessness, etc are very common complaints in PhaseOne.
At which point a well-meaning person will rah-rah "Yeah, it happens. Keep going. It'll get better when you get to PhaseTwo."

Frankly, the SouthBeachDiet was designed by a typical*sadist of the "no pain, no gain" ("no pain, no weight loss") /
"if it tastes bad, it must be good for you" / "if it's expensive, it must be good"
school of nonsense.
And the SouthBeachDiet is little more than the equivalent of running the gauntlet or frat-boy initiations designed mostly to convince the naive that "This must be a GREAT thing: why else would I have put up with the hazing?"

But then silly me, I think God and/or evolution (whichever you prefer):
Designed the body to give pain as signal of "Stop what you're doing!!! You're hurting me." (excepting rehab from severe injury)
And designed humans to do extremely well on a highly varied diet derived from physically working to obtain that food, while allowing only poor and/or short-term survival on highly restrictive diets.

From those two tenets, the SouthBeachDiet is wrong, wrong, WRONG, WRONG.
As are most popular-book diets.
Which, with other wrongs in this diet, I'll return to in bits&pieces.

* And yeah, I know the book promotes itself as being "written by a cardiologist and health expert". Possessing a degree guarantees neither honesty nor sanity. In this case, it doesn't guarantee even a minor amount of interest in nutrition&physiology.

[ March 23, 2005, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you even read the South Beach Diet book? It wasn't created as a diet for weight loss that was a benefit seen. It is a far more balanced diet approach then any other I've seen.

Hope you are feeling better and figure it out Leonide. Its no fun to have to work and feel crappy at the same time.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
(this is Leonide)

I will probably stick the diet out through Phase 1, but my plan is to go back to eating carbs again...just not as many. But there's no way I'd be able to live my life without another piece of white bread or regular pasta! So this diet wouldn't cut it for me in the long run. But i'm hoping to shed some quickie pounds and then start running again once the weather warms up, and lose some of my carb-cravings in general.

My appetite is not half of what is used to be, which is promising...at least i won't be gorging myself once i go off the diet.

[ March 23, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

aspectre, you seem to be more insulting than usual. Everything all right?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendybird, I liked the book too. My husband went on the SB diet, and lost almost 30 pounds. I think more than anything it taught him to be more aware of what he was eating and to make healthy choices. He doesn't follow it now, but he hasn't put any weight back on either.

Leonide, I hope you feel all the way better soon!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.