FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Well Done!" thread (a game) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The "Well Done!" thread (a game)
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dude's flashback made me think of the dancing bear scene in Finding Neverland. Since I really enjoyed the movie I enjoyed my own flashback.

CaySedai, I enjoyed your use of parentheses.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
My son sometimes dresses up as a bear and tap dance on the tiles in the kitchen while growling and holding his stuffed "baby" bear! Thanks for reminding me!

Lately, in preparation for the upcoming recital, he has been an elephant instead, but it is still cute.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how people post on Hatrack 24 hours a day so that I always have something to read besides my homework.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

I love that I have hatrack to post on when i can't sleep!
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to sit here in the middle of the day and talk to people who have problems sleeping.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how's the weather in Sweeden? Israel's shifting from mid-winter to mid-summer and vice-versa every 10 hours.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I admire the skillful and persistent derailment perpetrated on this thread by the last several posters. Well done!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A lesser person might have been critical of JH's derailment, but not Megan!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
SM doesn't need a thread like this to be marvelous to others.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Portobello is just FABULOUS.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations for posting an uncomplimentable compliment.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

Well, the weather in Sweden.. For the moment it is warm and sunny, not a cloud in sight ( And here I am inside by the computer). It's still the beginning of the spring, though, so during the night it can be a couple of degrees below zero (celsius).
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
What a marvelous knack you have for finding a way to make your comments about Swedish weather a compliment to the person who digressed so fully from the purpose of this site. For you showed him by your actions that his digression was, in fact, a good thing to do and well worth answering. No doubt you acquired this astonishing ability by sweating in a hot little room, then running out into the snow and beating yourself with sticks. Nothing would better demonstrate the worthiness of your words on this thread than for you to do it once more for us.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

ummh...what does "digressed" mean?
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Admitting one's ignorance is devine. Way to go!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I like how you wrote out "way to go!" instead of abbreviating it "wtg!" People like you show me that laziness can indeed be overcome.
RuggedAscent
Member # 7764

- posted      Profile for RuggedAscent   Email RuggedAscent         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I was quite pleasantly surprised to note that your post referred in no way whatsoever to aquatic mammals!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My compliments on posting a completely random compliment! Really, bringing aquatic mammals into the conversation was a stroke of genius.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
How perceptive you are, how in tune with the thoughts that float in currents through the aether of the collective mind of mankind.

For behold, this very night, while searching for a metaphor, I thought first upon walruses, and then upon the killer whale; yea, even Orca, the devouring mammal of the sea, who doth tear and rend even the mighty walrus, he who is great of tusk and thick with blubber, and quick to bark upon the ice and upon the rock.

And you have brought aquatic mammals before the eyes and minds of those who visit in the place of racking hats, at least insofar as their eyes and minds are connected.

And so to you, I give all praise that is in me to give, at 6:35 on a Friday morning, being the day after the day when garbage is collected in the place wherein I dwell, with a great roaring of truck engines and clattering of cans at an ungodly hour of the day.

[ April 08, 2005, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That last post could win 1st prize in a Hemingway satire contest anyday! And who knows, if you win, you mght get hooked on the idea of being paid for writing things, and who knows where that could lead?

[ April 08, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am impressed by the chain of possibilities you have suggested. You must have a very good imagination to be able to think of all that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the phrase "chain of possibilities"--it's evocative, poetic yet mathematical and lawyerly as well. [Smile]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way you can see the beauty in one's words in so many aspects.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Beanny, I think your multi-level appreciation of verbal aesthetics is very attractive.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Your face is very attractive.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way your post brought to mind the "your mom" joke of Napoleon Dynamite.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Napolean, Napolean! How you have superceded your prior brilliance in a little-known part of a beautiful rendition of a non-traditional love story Just Like Heaven.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it quite amazing that you were able to compare heaven to a short French dictator. I applaud you.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

- posted      Profile for Dick Button   Email Dick Button         Edit/Delete Post 
That was first rate!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way that your last post made me think of a perfect 4-fold universe, where each post would consist of 4 words each of 4 letters. You have 4 words and 16 letters in total, yet a little imballance reminded me that perfection is just an untouchable ideal.

Live long this time!

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so clever! You illustrated your point about the impossibility of perfection with one -- and just one -- spelling error: like the American Indian tradition of making one intentional error in beadwork, to show humility before the Creator, who is the only one that can do something truly perfect. (It was also very generous that you gave me a hook. I only hope I can follow your example.)
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that you complimented suminonA's provision of a hook, which gave me the opportunity to reflect upon the image of Dustin Hoffman in feathers, curls, and frilly lace.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely how you were able to illustrate your point with an illustration.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, O Queen of illustrious illustrations, where is your link? (perhaps the one with the 2 magnificent, yellow chicken...breasts?)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like when people give me the opportunity to link to the famous chicken breasts.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, it was kind of you to grace us witht that link.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum, I'm proud that you can appreciate the famous chicken breasts!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

kq, it was awfully big of you not to point out Reticulum's spelling error. You always take the high road. (And that's why I'm always in Scotland before ye.)
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I'm happy you shortened ketchupqueen to kq, as it benefitted us, by taking less time to read. [Smile]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum, I am very much interested in the idea of taking less time to read people's posts. Why, it is in that very spirit that I completely ignored your post and just looked at the magnificiently colorful smiley at the very end.

Thank you so much, you're such a time saver!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Rico, I am so inspired by your time saving that I am going to apply it to my grading, and only read the titles. Just think of the time saved!
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am so glad that someone still actually grades papers instead of just giving credit for work turned in. Thank you for putting in that effort!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am impressed at kq's compliment, because it shows her respect for the teaching profession. KQ, this really shows your depth of caring for your fellow posters. I applaud you.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I love that you used the word "applaud" instead of the asterick-framed *claps*. It portrays a sense of refinement.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
CRash, I love your use of the word "portrays", a lesser poster would have said shows you obviously have a firm grip on the English language.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone_Wolf_, I much enjoy your innovative sentence structure. It clearly demonstrates that you not only have a firm grip on the English language but that you hold it in a death clutch.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tristan, I think it's awesome that you included not only one but both of the underscores in Stone_Wolf_'s screenname. You obviously pay attention to the little details.
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, I love the way you beg the question: "Is there such a thing as a big detail?"
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RuggedAscent
Member # 7764

- posted      Profile for RuggedAscent   Email RuggedAscent         Edit/Delete Post 
My compliments on the inspiring use of your 288th post!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the way you used one of your very few posts to compliment a fellow Hatracker, and I love the way your screen name evokes both the challenge of mountain-climbing and other symbolic interpretations.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.