FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Booze, bullets, and the number 3: Frank Miller's Sesame Street

Author Topic: New column: Booze, bullets, and the number 3: Frank Miller's Sesame Street
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Booze, bullets, and the number 3: Frank Miller's Sesame Street

Decades ago Frank Miller turned the comics world around, rejuvenating tired heroes like Daredevil and Batman with the gritty, stylistic violence he later brought to his own gritty, fictional dystopia "Sin City." But few people know that Frank Miller was once asked to apply his magic to another once-popular institution.

EXT: NIGHT. We're on a dark, dirty street, looking over a trench-coated shoulder at a body spilling out of an overturned trashcan. Clumps of green fur are everywhere. Lightning turns the scene into a stark, black and white nightmare.

FROG: He wasn't much of a friend, but me and him were here from the beginning and that's important and now he's gone and I have to do something about it, something loud and violent and messy. No sunny days, not anymore. I've been a reporter, a TV show host, and a banjo-player, but now I'm vengeance.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Muppecide. Ha!

Chris, my son(8) is terrified of muppets. I will not read him this article!\
There was always something a little too sweet about Elmo...

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am torn between [Eek!] [Angst] , [ROFL] , and [Hail] .

I think [ROFL] is winning.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
COUNT: Three! Three dead victims! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

[ROFL]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

They really let you do this!

My whole generation thanks you for making that good-for-nothing Elmo the culprit!

[Big Grin]

-o-

quote:
The stink of melting polystyrene . . .
Zeugma! Nooooo! [Cry]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since they got rid of the guy falling down the stairs with pies, I started to lose interest in the Street. I think I was 20 or something.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
DVD extras: not too many, this came out more or less how I hoped in the first draft, which means I am so going to hell.

A few lines that got cut as I realized I could easily write a 2,000 word column:

quote:
FROG: Been a while, Ern.

ERN: I guess.

FROG: Guess so. Guess we fell out of touch. Guess there was no reason to mention that our old neighborhood was going downhill fast, huh.

ERN: Hey, I wasn’t the one that left for my own show. I wasn’t the one with a glamorous girlfriend instead of a finicky roommate, a rubber duck, and a million stupid gay jokes.

FROG: Yeah, I’m cryin’ for ya. What’s goin on, Ern? Where is everybody?

Also killed more graphic versions of the fight scene with the Count and the scene in Hooper's.

Boy, this was fun...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And now I've got some errands to run. A loaf o' bread, a container o' milk, a stick o' butter, and revenge.

Easily my favorite line in the entire piece.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love this.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its not easy being Vengeance
[ROFL]
[Hail]
You are my hero

[ March 30, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A loaf o' bread, a container o' milk, a stick o' butter, and revenge.
Awesome.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you SO have to write a whole script for this. That's just too freakin awesome!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I'm never disappointed. [Cool]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A point, though: Big Bird is 8'2". [Razz] It said so on Sesame Street yesterday. [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(But that was very funny.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Obviously this takes place years in the future, right after The Big Bird Returns when the bird is aged and stooped.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant. And a spot on critique of Sesame Street.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ah, that makes sense. [Wink]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

Hilarious! Emailed it to folks, too. Ron and I are going to see Sin City this weekend. Hope it doesn't suck. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I am so tempted to continue this, with pictures, but I think I'd be pushing the limits of parody.

But c'mon, who doesn't want to see Elmo brutalized and murdered by prostitutes?

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! let me render it in FLash!

*cackles madly*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the protections on parodies are very, very strong . . . of course, sometimes companies take people to court anyways, to try to scare them into submission, but they keep losing.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there's one potential problem, though. Since you're using two works, it has to be a parody of both works. Right now you run the risk of it being a parody of sesame street -- but not of sin city.

If you just avoided the overt sin city references and had commentary on sesame street characters being part of a generic gritty city, you'd be in the clear.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Yeah, but that would lose my relevance for this week [Smile]

I'll stick with short pastiches and keep moving...

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Wednesdays.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
That made my day.

By the way Chris, I was scanning the factions thread the other day and noticed you live in Santa Rosa. I had no idea. We're neighbors! Anyways, I'm just curious if you've ever written for the Press Democrat or any other local thang. You write the most brilliant articles!
S'all. [Smile]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I do? Where's it say that?

I'm in central Florida, and I work in Daytona Beach. But thanks anyway [Smile]

[ March 30, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh glorious Wednesday!

*happy smile*

*reads article*

*is horrified*

You are going directly to hell, Chris. See you there! *mad cackles*

Yes, Elmo is teh evil. Stupid Elmo.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

posted December 13, 2004 02:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 years old/ Male/ Santa Rosa, sonoma county

I didn't know so many people where in northen cali?

Goodness gracious! Shows just how much of an idiot I am. It was the a/s/l thread and it wasn't Bridges...it was Kidd.
*sigh* So just ignore my previous post and continue writing, because it is fantastic. [Smile]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.