FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Parents Brag Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Parents Brag Thread
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, aside from bronchitis and pneumonia over the past 1.5-2 months, my boy has been amazing.
So.. he had a lot of practice getting the right "look" for this part, didn't he? [Smile]

I mean, I'm sorry he's been fighting so much illness lately, but in this case, I'm sure it gave him an edge to know exactly how it "felt" and so he made a very believable sick kid!

(*crap! top of page!)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I think you have a good point there.

AND his giant brown eyes are so convincing when he's acting serious, sad, or sick.

Hmm, I can't link to just his profile at the talent agency... it goes home so you have to search for him... too bad

I figured it out! Through a different site he is listed on. Just ignore the bottom, to view a picture select the thumbnail, then if you want it bigger click on it in the larger frame. I hope that makes sense

http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/SequoyahAR

[ August 02, 2006, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Mimsie, he's so cute!

Tell him to break a leg [Wink]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Filming his scene wrapped up at 1 am Friday morning. He has a 12.5 hour day. His first day was 10 hours.

He's not sure he wants to do it again. He still wants to act, in plays, and maybe in movie speaking roles, but doesn't like being a featured extra.

I will talk to him in a few days to gauge how he feels about it. I already told him that he should probably do 2 ot 3 more featured extra roles for his resume, then only accept speaking roles. But it'll be up to him.

After all that he can't even see his first movie because it is scary!

He held up through it all, and did a GREAT job, and listened and followed directions, and he is just SO sweet and kind and well behaved. He is just amazing.

What a kid!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday was Em's first gymnastics competition. It wasn't really a competition, but a judges evaluation, so she didn't get scores, she just got evaluation sheets from the judges so she'd know what to work on for the real competition season.

Well, turns out gym equipment isn't quite standard, different brands of equipment can feel different. All our girls were falling off the bars at this gym, they said they were "slippery" compared to ours. In the warmup, Em fell off the bar during her dismount, her hands just slipped off and she hit the ground, hard. Hard enough to snap her head all the way back until it struck the ground. She immediately complained of pain in her neck. (Keep in mind, I'm in the stands and parents are absolutely NOT allowed on the floor, so I had to watch from a distance.)

They took her to the trainer, who checked her out and applied ice. Then they came and asked me if it was okay to give her ibuprofen, I said yes. Trainer said she could continue, it was her choice.

Naturally, she said she wanted to. First event was floor, and I thought she did great. Second event was vault, her best event but I knew she was hurt, because I've seen much better vaults out of her. Then I got concerned, because the vault requires you to complete a dive forward roll, which rolls on the neck. Then she got to bars, and missed her windmill - a spinning move on the bar - and she's been nailing it in practice for months so I knew she was in pain. She did, however, get the dismount which she earlier fell on.

At that point, they lay her down and put ice on her neck and came and got me. The coach said she was crying with pain and they wanted her to withdraw and not compete on beam. She said no. Then her second coach tried to convince her, reminding her that there were no scores so her average wouldn't be affected (you have to average a certain score all year to move up to the next level next year), but she still begged them to let her compete. So both coaches left it up to me. I knew if I said no, she'd be crushed but at the same time, it was a neck injury which had me spooked.

The deciding factor was the fact that the beam routine had no rolls or anything that would put pressure on the neck. I said okay. And she competed, didn't fall, but it wasn't a great routine.

Afterwards, she got the score sheets from the judges and found out that her potential scores, while not great, were pretty good. On floor especially, she would have received over a 9 had she been competing, and of the girls that were competing, I saw very few nines being handed out. Her first real competition is September 15, which also happens to be her birthday, so maybe that will be a good omen and she'll do well. Also, our first competition is hosted by our home gym, so she'll know the equipment.

At any rate, I'm extremely proud of her for being willing to play through a little pain and not quitting. That showed spirit and heart that means a lot more to me than any score from a judge. On the other hand, I was hysterical and crying in the stands because I was so afraid for her and don't know how I'll make it through a real competition or a really serious injury.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

^ ^ ^
Bell, how did the September meet go? And any since then?

Belle
Member # 2314

Hey mimsies, yes, she competed the whole season and finished up with a 12th overall placing in the state in her age group and level. For her first year, that's a pretty good result.

She is now working on the prep-optional season and her next competition in that is in February. She's done wonderfully, I'm so proud of her. She was promoted to the next level, and increased her hours in the gym each week from 4 hours a week to 6 - and her grades have not suffered one bit. If anything she's doing better - I think the extra discipline and focus of gymnastics has spilled over into the rest of her life. She always completes homework before practice starts and has been making straight A's. [Smile] Great kid.

My other kids are also awesome - Natalie is still a top student and will be trying out for the high school dance team in March - I can't believe she is going to high school next year! Daniel and Abigail are both doing great in first grade.

How bout your beautiful boy, anything new going on?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
That is totally cool!
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Hi Belle,

Thanks for the updates. I've been thinking about you lately, and realized that because I am not around much I never found out how gymnastice was going. That is really wonderful how well your children are doing!

I hope Natalie has a great audition. I know that more important than actually getting the part or the spot on the team is being satisfied with the audition, knowing that you did the best you could.

It is hard to conceptualize my little guy ever being old enough for highschool. It'll come, but still can't imagine it.

Sequoyah must be fairly close in age to Daniel and Abigail, because if he went to school (he's homeschooled) he'd be in 1st grade this year, albeit an older first grader because his birthday is in November. First grade is such an important year for most kids because it is a real year of growing up. Many of the kids I work with think of it as their first year of "real school". I'm really glad that your little guys are having a good time with it.

How is Sequoyah doing... It seems like he is just keeping on keeping on, but ther are things that have happened, I'm just used to them. He is now reading really well, probably on a 4th grade level. He seems to be a little dyslexic, but less so than I or my brother are... he already knows his right and left better than I do (I'm always lost on directions).

He and I are both in an upcoming production of Annie Get Your Gun at the local theatre. He didn't get the role he wanted because he was "TOO LITTLE Jake," but was the only child selected to be in the show who was not playing one of Annie Oakley's siblings.

He's had a few commercial, PSA, and movie auditions, hasn't gotten another deal yet, but we are still waiting to hear back about speaking roles in two feature films shooting here in New Mexico. He is now listed on IMDb with a picture, which is kinda cool. I like to go look a his listing!

He's still having some health problems. He had his tonsils out a week after his birthday, then the stomach flu two weeks later, and is just recovering from the croup. He's kinda old for the croup, but his asthma makes him susceptable. He is growing like a weed, he's gained a half inch in the past 2 months.

I guess I am just constantly proud of him because he is so sweet and kind, and stands up for what he thinks is right and for other kids, even when it would be easier to be quiet and let it slide.

Again thanks for the update, but also for asking about my son and making me stop to tkae stock of all that has happened and all I have to be proud of and thankful for in him.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear an update on the Bellekids and on Sequoyah!
I am convinced Hatrackers raise superior children [Smile]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
She is now working on the prep-optional season and her next competition in that is in February...

... Natalie is still a top student and will be trying out for the high school dance team in March ... Daniel and Abigail are both doing great in first grade.

How did the meet go?

Has she had that tryout yet, and if so how did it go?

Are they still liking 1st grade? I bet they are!

Belle
Member # 2314

We have another meet Saturday. I'm convinced "there is always another meet." [Razz]

But she's doing great, got a career high score a couple meets ago, and has posted some really high individual scores.

Natalie made color guard...but hasn't tried out for dance line yet. You have to make color guard first, then you try out for dance line. if you don't make it, you still get to be on color guard. The good news is that there are ten vacancies on dance line, and about 20 girls trying out...so that means a 50/50 chance but it's probably even higher than that because many of the girls trying out do not have the years of dance training she does. In fact, the dance line sponsor asked her to demonstrate some jazz moves to the color guard group, even though she was new...because she could see her dance training. She then asked her if she were planning on trying out for dance line and when she said yes, the sponsor said "Good. I need people with training." So, she's encouraged.

The twins are doing great...Abigail's dance recital is in May and Daniel is planning on playing football next year. yes, they play tackle football as young as first grade - this is Alabama!

thanks for asking. [Smile]

mimsies
Member # 7418

If Daniel likes to dance, dance training really contributes to speed and agility in sports like basketball, football, and soccer...

This may seem silly, but I put down "Belle's Daughter's dance audition in March other daughter's meet in February" on the monthly overview for March in my planner. I just wanted to know how it went!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
John ate an entire smooshed banana today.

Okay, it's not as exciting as trying out for danceline or getting a part in a movie, but I was still pretty proud. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's a big step!

Speaking of big steps, Bridget stood up from the floor without holding on to anything and balanced for several seconds today. Twice. While wearing a dress. [Big Grin]

And Emma came to choir practice with me and demanded her own hymnal and music folder, then listened carefully and sang several words correctly, on pitch, with the sopranos (what I sing right now.) Before she decided to dismantle my purse, found the one Tylenol I missed when cleaning up the meds that fell out of my broken bottle (I keep all medicine in my purse in child-safe bottles, but one smashed), tried to eat it, and started screaming, that is. (She only got 1/8 to 1/4 of it in her, and spit out as much as she possibly could. She didn't seem to be harmed by it, although we are still watching her closely. I swear, this one is my death-defier. I hear most parents have one.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Are you kidding, dkw? For John's age - that is very exciting! I bet he loved it. Smooshed bananas are good stuff. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bridey, who is now 14 months old (and walking and running and climbing!) but does not talk much, has been picking up signs like crazy lately. She has never strung them together, though. She just signed her first "sentence"-- "cereal more me." [Big Grin] She wanted more Fruit Loops!

I'm so proud. Especially because it's frustrating for all of us when she can't communicate what she wants. (Emma almost always knows, which helps, but at the same time I think has held back her speech a bit. But Emma is at preschool today.)

So this is a big step! Now to teach her to sign "please"...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tonight she walked up to me, tried to climb on my lap, I lifted her up, she leaned in for some kisses, and she tried very hard to make the sign for "I love you".

Awwww.

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I think signing for kids is great. We did it with our youngest two. It was great for them. They don't remember much of it now.

Congrats KQ, sounds like a doll.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Bridey is 14 months? NO way!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, she is. And she has quite the personality.
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine sometimes signs milk. Not yet consistent, but occassionally. [Smile] But we really haven't been trying too hard to teach her. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I babysit for a little girl who is 15 months younger than her brother and didn't talk much until about 18 months. But she signed "more" from about 10 months onward taught at her daycare (which is in hte school her mom teaches at). Now very verbal she still wants more.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

My 2 yr old nephew has a speech delay. In therapies, they've been teaching him signs, and it seems that after he starts using a sign consistently, he then picks up the word vocally as well. I am currently a big fan of sign with lil' guys, even though I didn't use it with my pie guy.

Congrats KQ she'd sounding adorable!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks. She's looking adorable, too, as is her sister. [Smile]

Oh! And I forgot to brag, Emma has learned to color inside the lines, and drew her first purposeful drawing. [Big Grin]

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, everyone seems to have such amazing kids.

My own hasn't had any amazing accomplishments, he's still hard to understand (at 3) and never picked up on the sign language thing. But...

I was SO proud of my son on Friday evening. He was such a little man.

About a month and a half ago, my little brother got married, and my son was the ring bearer. It was a very small wedding, they had only one attendant a piece, so my son got very attached to my brother's best man, Justin.

Well, Justin's dad passed away Thursday morning after a long battle with pancreas cancer. Justin is only 21, so you can imaine, it hit him pretty hard. I took my son with me to the viewing on Friday, and he was so well behaved. We walked up and said a prayer over the casket, and then turned to wear the family was seated. He walked up to Justin and said, clear as a bell, "I'm sorry about your Daddy" and gave him a big hug. It was so sweet, and made the whole family smile and laugh a bit. I know it was only for a moment, but I was so proud of him.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
When my mother died when I was 20, I stayed that afternoon at my neighbor's house. Her little girl was two years old and could tell things were sad, but didn't know why. We sat a watched a really awful movie, and the little girl spent the entire movie walking back and forth across the living room, picking up popcorn out of the bowl and feeding it to me. I still remember.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter read the first 14 pages of "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" on Saturday and she only needed help with the names and maybe two or three longer words.

Granted her reading is pretty much all sight words and so she'll need to work on her phonics when she gets to school (she's 3 and a half) so she can read words she doesn't already know. But still...

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

My middle daughter the gymnast got her kip. I know, for many of you that is meaningless, but it's a difficult skill that some gymnasts can take years to perfect. She got it and then repeated it at least 15 times today, so she's pretty solid on it.

If you're interested, here is a good page explaining kips and how hard they can be to develop, and shows a sequence of shots showing what it looks like:

Kips

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Zal!!!! That's an awesome book.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma just peed in the toilet. For the first time ever.

And there was much rejoicing. And many M&Ms. And promises of a Curious George coloring kit tonight. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

My baby seemed to completely bypass her diaper (it looked clean on the inside) and pooped all over her crib. [Smile] So, kinda the opposite of peeing in the toilet. We also think she might have figured out how to take the diaper off partially.
I am jealous of parents who are moving out of the diaper phase.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Yay for pee. [Party]

Scholar, we had to duct tape diapers on our kids for awhile. Don't worry, we wouldn't tape it to their skin (sicko [Smile] ). We would take a good length of tape tear in in half long ways and go completely around their waist making sure as to not get it on their skin. I would use my medical scissors that have a blunt tip to cut it off. It was a rather short period of time that we had to do this, but it was necessary.

As for bragging about my kids, THEY ALL GO TO SCHOOL TOMORROW. All four kids will be in school starting tomorrow. One will go into Pre-K, one in Kindergarden, and two in fifth grade. Very exciting and sad at the same time.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Zal- awesome! Isn't seeing our kids get book wonderful?

Belle- yay for your daughter!

kq- peeing is awesome too!

brojack17
Member # 9189

My fifth grader came home today and told us she made Circle the State with Song. She is already in Honor Choir and 5th Grade Honor Choir. This choir only takes twelve students. We are all very excited for her. It is a huge confidence boost.

Yay Mariah! [Party]

Belle
Member # 2314

brojack that is an amazing achievement! Congratulations to Mariah!

[The Wave]

DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
As an alternative to duct tape, pinning a disposable diaper snugly with old-fashioned diaper pins seems to keep little hands from pulling it off. If your child has a really small bone structure, however, there may just be no way on earth to keep it from being pulled down. Some kids just don't have hips!

And another YAAAAAY for pee in the potty, kq!
Our little guy is turning 2 tomorrow, and still maintains a bored "no" when asked if he'd like to try the potty. He does inform me proudly the moment he makes his BM, however, which is a step in the right direction. He seems to be fully aware of his functions--just doesn't want to deposit them in the more socially appropriate location.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Thanks Belle. She has really struggled with confidence (she has a dad that is not very... um... active). I am her step dad. I have been in her life since she was three and very active with her. I have always treated her as my own. Her bio dad doesn't get involved in anything and it really hurts her. I think this will help her see that she is really worth something. That's the point her mother and I have been trying to get across for a long time now.

Thanks again.

scholar
Member # 9232

Keeping her in onesies and not shirts has helped. With her crawling, she is not a big fan of dresses anymore anyway. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

brojack, I just wanted to commend you and tell you that I see a lot of kids who are involved with activities alongside mine whose parents are divorced. I must say the ones that have step-parents that are there and involved certainly get a boost from it.

And as a child of divorce I know that even if the child says they wish the biological parent were there instead, they DO notice the attention and care of the step-parent and will remember it in years to come. You sound like a loving, caring dad for Mariah and I'm sure she's lucky to have you.

brojack17
Member # 9189

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that.
romanylass
Member # 6306

9th Avenue School of Dance presents "The Nutcracker" Dec 14-16.
Olivia Wiebe-Lullaby girl
Andrew Wiebe- Mouse, Bonbon.

www.intodance.com

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a lullaby girl? I don't think our nutcracker has them. Different productions are so different.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

I'm ashamed to say I don't know either.
brojack17
Member # 9189

Another brag for me... er... my kids. My other fifth grader (my birth daughter) made the competitive clogging team at her dance school. She will compete in contests and perform at festivals around the area. They may have the opportunity to perform on a cruise ship sometime next spring. I have already volunteered to chaperon.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan had acolyte training last week. They had them practice in robes and with the candlesticks. They all looked like adorable angels, but what really struck me was his comment afterwards:

"As soon as I put the robe on and walked with the candle, I felt all calm and peaceful."

"Wow, son, that's great!"

"Yeah -- well once I took the robe off I felt all crazy inside. Can you get me a robe to wear all the time?"

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

brojack- very cool!

Shan- Nathan may be onto something there. If that would work- wow.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Given my horrendous reaction to 7th grade and his necessary learning curve (please note: this includes "failures" as well as successes, and therein lies the angst -- at least for me) perhaps I need the robe . . . *sigh*

The Dark Is Rising is coming soon, isn't it romany? Are you taking your kids to see it?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivygirl1937
Member # 10918

- posted      Profile for Ivygirl1937   Email Ivygirl1937         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very proud of my son. He did really well in school this past year (he sometimes struggles with that somewhat) and he sent me a letter recently with two pictures that he drew in it. He's such a good artist. [Smile]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.