FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Parents Brag Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Parents Brag Thread
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread resurrection time! I want to hear what the hatrack kids are up to.

Not too much going on here - Emily is still in gymnastics, she just got promoted to level 5 and we increased our practice time again. She finished 7th in the state overall two weeks ago, which was pretty good considering she fell on both bars and beam - this year her best events. She did a cartwheel on the beam, a bonus move for her level, and didn't quite hold the landing - but I'm proud of her for trying. As it was, her beam score was higher than some kids who didn't fall - so that tells you had she stayed on it would have been a great score. But, falling and getting back up is a skill in itself we want her to learn.

Natalie is still on color guard, she never made dance line and decided afterwards she loved color guard so much it was a good thing. She wants to try out for captain next year.

Daniel is playing piano and loving it - he has moved ahead in his book and memorized songs the teacher didn't assign to him, and she thinks he's wonderful. She is encouraging me to keep him in it, said most 7 year old boys are not as interested and dedicated and he seems to really like it.

Abigail is taking a tumbling/dance class that is supposed to prepare her for doing cheerleading, but she doesn't really like it. She wants to be on color guard like her big sister one day.

Everybody's health is good, as are their grades, so all is well. What's happening with all the other wonderful, smart, talented Hatrack children?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My baby has an imagination. [Smile] She loves her doggy and she goes over to where we keep his food and pretends to pull a piece out and then runs to the doggy and pretends to give it to him. Then she runs back and does it again repeatedly. When her daddy gave her doggy treats to do it for real, she was so excited.
She also is a little geek in training. We took her to the mall. At build a bear, she cried and wanted to cling to us and leave. So, we decided to go home. As we walked by the Apple store, she got very excited. We went in and she was enchanted. Ipods and laptops and computers! It was her perfect store. And they had some computers set up so toddlers could play on them (it was a Dr. Seuss computer program). She sat down on the kiddie chairs and smiled and laughed and hit buttons. A guy walked over and said, wow, she's pretty little to be so into it, how old (15 months)? Then, we decided we had been there long enough (like 20 minutes) and we picked her up and she screamed and screamed.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We received the following letter in the mail this week from Mooselet's school.
quote:
"It is with pleasure that I inform you that your child has been selected by his/her classroom teacher to receive recognition at our upcoming All School Dolphin Assembly.

The character attribute for the month is "Honesty/Fairness". I trust you are as proud of your child as all of us are at Dos Caminos.

Our assembly is scheduled for Thursday, April 17 at 1:15 p.m. in the MPR. Please mark your calendar and plan to join us in celebration of your child's success.

P.S. - Remember…This is to be a surprise!"

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 1/2 year old correctly conjugates some of his verbs. The 4 1/2 year old still usually doesn't, so it seems pretty awesome for my 2 1/2 year old to do that. (I knew that huge noggin of his would have extra processing power inside!)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My almost-four-year-old just told me, "I'm almost full. Can I put this back?"

And he *put back* the DONUT he was going to eat so he'd have room for the CHEESE he also had. [Big Grin]

Yeah, we've been talking about healthy eating choices. [Smile]

But he still loves PEZ. [Evil Laugh]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids keep amazing me by growing up.
What a ride!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been keeping a running list of Sophie's quotes on my work blog. Some of my favorites:

It is very nearly your birthday so I think it would be mostly okay for you to open just a little present now.

I think I ate too much pizza. My tummy was saying "no" but my mouth was saying "yes."

(eyes narrowed) She thinks she is cute but maybe she is not quite so cute as me.

Mama, no! Do not gobble up Haley! She is quite absolutely small and helpless and not for gobbling.

Babies are not for kicking. We can only kiss them on their little fuzzy heads.

Daddy, I am going to sit on your lap forever all day, okay?

They call those buildings highscrapers because they're higher than the just-regular scrapers.

I don't think I would like to not have feet.

You're almost nearly as silly as a Wiggle.

Ah! You sworded me! I will sword you until you are dead!

No, cat! We do not sit on babies!

(upon seeing a unicorn figurine for the first time, in a hushed voice) Oh, daddy! You have to buy that right now. It is quite absolutely the most perfect thing ever.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
On the way to Tom & Christy's yesterday John was singing a song about himself singing a song. I don't remember many of the words, but they were hilarious. Bob & I were cracking up.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think "quite absoultely" is quite absolutely my favorite new phrase.

It is now "Some Day" in our lives. When my daughter was 2(she is now 13), she asked if we could go to Disney.
I said, "Some day."
She responded, "Boy, we're gonna do a LOT on that day!"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, it is Some Day because we are going to Disney in six days!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie appears to have learned somewhere that adverbs are more effective when paired. [Smile]

(Enjoy Disney! *grin* You should look up Joe while you're in Orlando, by the way; he and his family have season passes, they're Disney fanatics, and they give excellent tours. They also know all the "how to avoid the lines" tricks.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, we have spoken, and I hope to be able to see him. We are going with another family, but I am not going every day(I am hoping for only two). Disney on a low budget is...challenging.
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
The BEST "how to avoid the lines" trick is to visit Disney on a "Make-A-Wish Foundation" sponsored trip.

"Wish Kids" (and their families) enjoy a line free experience at Disney (with one exception: exiting the park at closing time!)

However, I wouldn't wish the accompanying medical nightmare that earned us that trip on anyone.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

(eyes narrowed) She thinks she is cute but maybe she is not quite so cute as me.

[Smile]

They are all quite absolutely ridiculously cute.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think Sophie is spot on. I have been a fan for a while.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here is my particular brag(thanks again, Icarus):

http://joeicarus.com/liz/nancysong.mp3

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
OK here is a big brag for me.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&ChannelID=119442416

They spelled his name wrong, it is supposed to have an h on the and of his first name. Oh well. I assume they'll fix that when they get a chance.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, mimsies, that's a big deal for sure!

We went to a party on Friday and there was an open mic. Emma sang 4 songs. In key. And knew all the words. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
My four year old just learned to read. She is determined to catch up to my 6yo and 8yo.

I love watching that particular lightbulb go on; it's like watching a kid walk for the first time.

My 2yo Cherry Blossom taught 1yo Moose how to yell "Banzai!", which he does all the time now, with his arms over his head. Banzai, banzai, banzai.

*edited to add: Sorry to butt in. I don't know if I'm considered a "Hatrack parent" or not. [Smile]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you are! That's what the thread is for!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Well thank you kindly, KQ. [Smile]
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

KQ... AWESOME! I love it when really little kids sing on tune with all the words right. Everyone is always like "WHOA!" and I grin. BTW my 8 yr old is only on tune MOST of the time, and that's with voice lessons, for a 4 yr old to be on tune is phenomenal.

Sachiko...
reading at 4 is pretty impressive! Bonzai yelling is way cute, hope it doesn't drive you bonkers!

course you're a Hatrack parent.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations mimsies and Sequoyah! (is that spelled right?) I've always wondered - is filming a scary movie scary? I mean, I can't stand scary movies, but I guess on set with all the lights and camera people and stuff it isn't really that spooky.

Sachiko - learning to read is awesome. I really considered majoring in elmentary just to help kids learn to read because I loved it so much when all four of mine learned to read. Unfortunately, I don't think my temperament is right for elementary education, but I do agree with you that it's a magical thing to watch and see take place.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!! Congrats to Sequoyah!!!
Sachiko, isn't that just the best?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

[Big Grin]

Thanks everyone.

I kinda like the "BANZAI!" It's the whining that turns my brain into pudding and makes it dribble out my ears.

TomDavidson, your kids sounds SO much like Lola from "Charlie and Lola". That show is my favorite and is my best. [Smile]

mimsies
Member # 7418

Belle,

Filming the movie wasn't scary, but the audition scared him silly, mainly because it was the first time he'd read the script, and he has a very vivid imagination.

They film it all out of order, and do several takes of each shot (trying it different ways), and there are SO many people there, cameramen, Assistent Directors, makeup people, hair people, numerous techies. He looks all alone, in the house, but he's actually almost surrounded by people who were all very sweet to him.

His favorite part? The end when they gave him a gift, the whole crew pitched in and got him a super soaker and a few Lego sets. He also liked when they special ordered him a breakfast burrito for dinner.

Since it is a 10 minute short, it was unpaid. But as a leading role, it was great for his resume and for exposure.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.