FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Land Of Enchantment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Land Of Enchantment
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
IS anyone else from New Mexico?

Has anyone else HEARD of New Mexico? [Big Grin]

contrary to popular belief in some parts of the country, it IS a Part of the USA, and is in fact the 48th state! And you really don't need a passport to cross its borders!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a sister who lives in New Mexico. I have visited her. I have stayed in a Residence Inn in Santa Fe. I have driven through that teensy little corner of New Mexico that keeps El Paso from being part of Arizona. I have driven through Durango and seen Four Corners. I know New Mexico. New Mexico is my friend. And I don't remember seeing you there.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

And Arizona was the 48th state, just in case it matters. They were very proud of it when I was in junior high in Mesa. Of course, now that I think of it, they might have been lying, the way North Carolina claims to have had something to do with inventing flight, besides being the runway.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Are you sure you didn't see me? I'm the 5'5" NAtive lady with long dark hair and dark brown eyes. Think hard now. [Big Grin]
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*

I visited New Mexico on a 3-week western-American train trip with my family about 8 years ago. We stopped off in Albequerque and I got a burrito.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin used to be the sheriff of Albequerque.

Never been there though. I hear they have nice cacti.

Edit to add:
quote:
I'm the 5'5" NAtive lady with long dark hair and dark brown eyes.
Hmm, maybe I should visit sometime soon.

[ April 03, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

You are right of course, NM 47, AZ 48,Alaska 49, Hawaii 50
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The Old Broad's Cafe in Old Town Albuquerque serves the best hot cocoa and cinnamon buns you could ever hope to get past your lips.

[ April 03, 2005, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Great use of the "you're no Jack Kennedy" defense Mr. Card.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Arizona became a state on February 14th, 1912 and we are very proud of that fact.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
The Old Broad's Cafe in Old Town Albuquerque serves the best hot cocoa and cinnamon buns you could ever hope to get past your lips.
and very nearby is the Natural History Museum where they have a T-Rex Skull! Can't get better than that!
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this song about Albuquerque by Weird Al. It's cleverly titled, "Albuquerque." I sing it with terrific enthusiasm, even though I've never been to New Mexico.

quote:
And one day if you happen to wake up and find yourself in an existential quandaring full of loathing and self-doubt and racked with the pain and isolation of your pitiful, meaningless existance, at least you can take a small bit of comfort in knowing that somewhere out there in this crazy, old, mixed-up universe of ours, there's still a little place called ALBUQUERQUE!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Well, It's not THAT little, epecially in comparison to like... Truth or Consequences
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Why stop with Hawaii?

Puerto Rico 51, Guam 52, Alberta 53, British Columbia, renamed Columbia, 54, West Texas, North Texas, South Texas, Exxon, and Texaco as 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, only because Texas was dissolved as it exercised its constitutional right to divide itself into up to five states, we have to have a huge footnote explaining that now all the numbering is off by one. And then Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined as "North Minnesota" make 60.

mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
Why stop with Hawaii?
Because it is sort of 1am and i DON'T have jetlag and am feeling lazy.

Because Hawaii is a very nice place to stop, especially the Volcanoes National Park, and that beach where the sea turtles nest.

Because I don't have any memorized after Hawaii.

Edit my Mom would love to read that British Columbia was renamed Columbia and made a United State

[ April 03, 2005, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't get better than that!
Word to your mama.
*nods

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
Hmm, maybe I should visit sometime soon.
HEY! You should ALL come April 29-30 to the Gathering of Nations I will likely be dancing, but my little boy surely will (with the Tiny Tots).

It'd be fun!

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to New Mexico. But I used to have an aunt and uncle living there. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
New Mexico is part of the US?

Yeah, right.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Canada is not.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see that Quebec ain't on that list, Uncle Orson. If it was, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba would all leave. Fast. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Orson please do not give Tom Delay any ideas. Texas breaks up into 5 states, with wierd borders to match voting preferences, and we have 8 more Republican Senators.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft, Quebec would never be an American state.

First of all we hate the French.

Second, Quebec is too good for us.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I now live in Farmington, NM, near Four Corners and 3 hours from ABQ.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
New Mexico is very nice [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Hey, the point about eight more senators from Texas is EXACTLY the reason Texas was admitted that way. Texas's "independence" from Mexico was all about slavery, and Texas insisted on the assurance that slavery would always be allowed in the U.S. before joining. Their guarantee was: If it ever looked as if some anti-slavery party was going to take over Congress, Texas could divide itself and put more pro-slavery senators in to block such a thing.

Wouldn't it be supremely ironic if the very party that Texas most feared (once it was formed), the Republican Party, now dominated Texas so that that ancient provision in the constitution was invoked to GIVE Republicans veto-proof control of the senate?

Let's start this as a rumor and see how long before it hits the news!

So here it is: pass it on.

"According to rumors circulating on the internet, Tom DeLay is plotting to invoke a little-known provision in the Texas Constitution, divide the state in five carefully gerrymandered parts, and put eight new Republicans into the Senate. It would give George W. Bush's judicial nominees a virtually filibuster-proof Senate - and guarantee Republican control of the Senate for many years to come."

Cut and paste, and let's see if we can start a groundswell of OUTRAGE against the evil Republican plan <grin>.

1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Born and Raised in Albuquerque....anyone have quesions or something?
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove to Albequerque this past spring break. Couldn't stay long, though.
quote:
Puerto Rico 51, Guam 52, Alberta 53, British Columbia, renamed Columbia, 54, West Texas, North Texas, South Texas, Exxon, and Texaco as 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, only because Texas was dissolved as it exercised its constitutional right to divide itself into up to five states, we have to have a huge footnote explaining that now all the numbering is off by one. And then Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined as "North Minnesota" make 60.
Ouch. Ten new states, and not one of them helps DC.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
I am from Nortern Minnesota-- I don't think we get any tax break from Saskatchewan or Manitoba--I sure could use one
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Clovis New Mexico for 3 years. My Jr. High years.

Many many nights playing Goldeneye and Super Smash Bro's.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the official language, which might make the whole thing more credible.

quote:
New states, of convenient size, not exceeding four in number, in addition to said state of Texas, and having sufficient population, may hereafter, by the consent of said state, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the federal constitution.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have friends in NM, and have visited a couple of times. [Smile] I liked it. In fact, I owe said friends a call...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

Sorry T-Smith.....not much happening in Clovis other than dairies and high school football....not that there's anything wrong with that....

They are building the largest cheddar cheese plant in North America outside of Clovis as I type....

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ah, high school football. My sister was on the high school drill team. This thread has actually made me miss some of my friends from Clovis. Dallen and Josiah and Matt. I wonder what those dudes are up to. I bet if I called, they wouldn't be there any more.

Sad.

Those were the days of Star Craft: Brood Wars, and N64. I must admit there were some fond memories.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ooooo! There's a NEW mexico!" - Homer

Texas will never split apart. Being "big" is built into their state-pride and no amount of political advantage will change that.

On the other hand, I would love to see a "Missouri Compromise" type situation with Texas and California both splitting into 3s. It would maintain the balance in the senate and Los Angeles could stop stealing our bridge tolls.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is my favorite poster, and no it's not because I'm trying to be a suckup. It's because of comments like this:

quote:
I know New Mexico. New Mexico is my friend. And I don't remember seeing you there.
[Hail]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

New Mexico is a wonderful state, although the statistics wouldn't reveal that...we are constantly near the bottom in every category concerning human development, medication, education, etc...but we try! (well, actually, we don't try...we have a terrible legislature -- and not becuase of politics or values -- they are just not very good...we are also very rural although there are some great cities and towns and villiages...'Burque, Santa Fe, Taos, Clayton, Raton, Chama, Roswell, even Las Cruces has cleaned itself up). There is a wonderful mix of tradition and cosmopolitan...old hispanic and native american cultures (the oldest Capital city in the US - Santa Fe)...and the food - nothing like New Mexican food...(mmmmm...green chile....).... There's an entertaining mix of wacko lefties in Santa Fe and Taos and nutjob Righties in Catron County (the county contains a preamble of "we the people of catron county do find the federal government a clear and present danger to the citizens of this county" (paraphrase)...and everything in between....Ranchers, Dairymen, Farmers, Intel Chip Makers, PhD Physisists (sp?), artists, craftsmen...you name it, we have it....we even have the hanta virus!

Visit the Carlsbad Cavers, White Sands, Acoma "the Sky City", Chaco Canyon, Shiprock, The Trinity Site (1st A-Bomb), the UFO Museum.....

I recommend that everyone on these boards makes it a point to go to the International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque at least once in their lives (usually the second week of October). It is truly one of the few purely human events that are beautiful and aesthetic and nothing more - one of those things that makes you think, "yeah, humans can be pretty cool now and again."

[ April 11, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: 1lobo1 ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

I wouldn't exactly brag about Shiprock. It's like bragging about Gallup.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Los Alamos, NM from 1985 to 1991, and two of my children were born there. I loved it there and still have friends there. I miss the food something terrible.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

quote:
I wouldn't exactly brag about Shiprock. It's like bragging about Gallup.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

[ April 11, 2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ah, someone from Farmington. If I recall correctly, thats right next to Clovis, correct?
1lobo1
Member # 7762

Shiprock the Rock...not Shiprock the city....ha ha ha...
IanO
Member # 186

No idea. I've only lived here for 2 years and don't travel around NM too much (except for ABQ and locally.) Farmington is really a nice place to live, though.

Lived 3 hours away in Kayenta, AZ for 5 years, though. Back then (12 years ago), I hated going to Farmington and thought it was a dump.

Go figure.

1lobo1
Member # 7762

Farmington and Clovis are on opposite sides of the state....(unless you were being sarcastic...)

Farmington is getting better...but there are more oil and natural gas wells there than people...

[ April 11, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: 1lobo1 ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

No. I swear there is some sity right next to Clovis thats close sounding to Farmington. ::Shrug::
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago I drove form Wisconsin to New Mexico with my 2 kids and my mom. We had a great time, went to Santa Fe then down to Carlsbad then to Alamogordo-- that drive was so awesome, through Cloudcroft, just incredible scenery and changes in terrain-- then to Silver City, where we stayed in this sweet little house called The Guest House. They had down pillows and comforters and we slept with the windows open, all snuggled in. I have never slept so well in my life before or since. Then over the mountains into AZ and then back into NM and headed home.

My son has wanted to move to NM ever since.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

Portales or Tucumcari maybe...Fort Sumner?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Lets see, Portales was south, and Fort Sumner was west. The city I'm thinking of is right ont he TX boarder, so is east of Clovis. ::shrug::

No worries.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I have driven through NM once. I really don't think I'll ever visit it. It looks a lot like Arizona (...without the Grand Canyon or the painted desert or the petrified forest or Sedona red rock or Ponderosa pines or people or...) which I've lived in my whole life.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I do miss those amazing sunsets. Sunsets with mountains are one thing, but southern sunsets reach into the soul.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.