FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who's in D.C. last weekend? We were! (Now with Cherry Blossom pics!)

Author Topic: Who's in D.C. last weekend? We were! (Now with Cherry Blossom pics!)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy and I are going to be in D.C. from the 8th through the 11th of April. We're going to be hooking up with KarlEd and basically doing the sightseeing thing. If anyone's interested in a meal or some chatting, let me know.

[ April 13, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Want to catch a Washington Nationals game?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get my last email?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl: Yes.
Jay: I'm not sure; Christy's not a huge sports fan. I'll ask her. Otherwise, absolutely.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! I'm going to be there with my rugby team. We have a tournament on the mall (yes, that one). If you guys are going to be touring the monuments and such anyway, you should stop by on Saturday. We'll be down there most of the day. Look for the blue and gold jerseys.

Also, I'll be pretty busy Sat and Sun, but if you guys want to do something Friday evening, that would be cool.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You're going to try to play rugby on the Mall during the Cherry Blossom Festival? *blink* Man, that'll be a scrum. [Smile]
Miro
Member # 1178

It's actually the Cherry Blossom Tournament. So there. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you gotta get some pics of the duck!

Secret Service Makes Way for Expectant Duck

[ April 08, 2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro, I don't think we're up for anything tonight, but we'll try to stop by and say hello tomorrow at the tournament. We'd like to try to catch the parade.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Hey are you guys in town now? Give me a call or post here how I'm supposed to get in touch with you tomorrow. I called the hotel you said you were staying at and they didn't have you listed. Are you using an alias? [Wink]

Maybe I should address this to Christy, 'cause getting information out of Tom obviously requires physical torture, which is hard to do via the internet.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Yes, we're at the Melrose, Room 626. Our cell is roaming and we've already racked up quite a charge answering voicemails today so we turned it off this evening.

You're also welcome to email christy at plastic dash castle dot com.

We were trying to think what to do tomorrow. We thought about going to the cherry blossom parade at 10 and Tom would like to hit the Sakura festival for a bit which goes on from something like 11 to 4. We've walked the mall a bit today and hit the aquarium, but we're pretty much open to anything tomorrow.

As Tom said, though, I'm really not a sports fan, although I wouldn't mind waving at Miro in the Rugby tournament.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

It looks like we'll be in town closer to 11 or 11:30. Is there somewhere you'd like us to meet you? I'll check here tomorrow morning when I wake up, or you can email me or call the cell. Otherwise, I'll try your cell when I get into DC.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Have you been to the Sakura street festival? It sounds -- from the descriptions, at least -- kind of cool. But I'm a bit concerned that finding each other on a random, crowded street corner may be difficult.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Woo. Karl's as cool as ever, and we were pleased to meet Rebecca (FIJC) from Ornery, as well. [Smile] Considering the amount of culture shock she must've had, she did astonishingly well. *grin*

I am so sunburnt right now, though. Every friggin' time I go to DC, I char.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Sunburn X2 here. Finally made it back to Hanover. New bathroom was there to greet us. (Yay!)

Had a great time with you guys. Photos coming soon. Christy is fun and sweet! We both loved meeting you!

Ornery will have to change its name if everyone there is as nice as Rebecca!

[ April 10, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Miro
Member # 1178

Crap. I forgot to check Hatrack when I got home. Oh well. I hope you guys had fun. Did you see where the rugby tournament was going on? It was between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. An awesome place to have a tournament if there ever was one.

I feel your pain about the sunburns. My entire team got fried because we're all so pasty from the Michigan winter. Got some pretty interesting sock and shirt tan/burns.

KarlEd
Member # 571

We were mostly between the Capitol and the Washington Monument. We did keep an eye out for you, but thought we must have missed the games. [Frown]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

We actually saw a single game earlier in the day, but they didn't have the right color of jersey. [Frown]
KarlEd
Member # 571

So what are your big plans today now that Chris and I are stuck back at work?? [Frown]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Thought I'd contribute to the malaise.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
Member # 5505

- posted      Profile for FIJC   Email FIJC         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys! I really enjoyed meeting you all as well. I am glad to hear that you all made it back safe and sound. Christy, I hope that your first impression of DC was a positive one. Tom, at least now you know that not all conservatives are the devil. [Smile] And Karl, it was a real pleasure getting to meet you and your buddy. I really did have a great time on Saturday.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Too many sad smilies!! Hmm, that sounds like an oxymoron.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Tom, at least now you know that not all conservatives are the devil.
That, or he knows that not all devils are unpleasant to be around. [Wink]

But seriously, Rebecca, it was great meeting you. Chris said later that he really enjoyed talking with you, too. [Smile]

FIJC
Member # 5505

Yeah, everyone definitely left a good impression upon me. [Smile] Thanks again for lending me your jacket. Oh, and I am sure that all those pictures you and Tom took will provide many hours of entertainment.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm trying to arrange a deal with a Japanese post-card publisher even as we speak. [Big Grin]
FIJC
Member # 5505

LOL.
Christy
Member # 4397

You left us at the Natural History Museum, which was excellent and we even managed to find the energy to speed browse most all of the museum! Afterwards, we hit a chinese restaurant and crashed in the hotel playing vintage Nintendo.

Monday we slept in and walked out to Dupont Circle and found a chi-chi market and bought a feast -- strawberries, chocolate, mozarella and tomatoes in a basil oil, prosciutto and a fruit tart and sat in front of the fountain in the sunshine. We did feel a tad guilty afterwards and gave the rest of the strawberries to an unfortunate looking man hoping to share their yumminess.

We were much indecided as to what to attempt -- there are so many neat museums and galleries to see (did you know there is a bead museum?) -- but ended up deciding to hit the new Native American museum. It was really neat. The layout is very spiraling and when it was not being preachy, there was a lot of good information about the tribes and their culture.

I had a simply wonderful introduction to D.C. Chris and Karl couldn't have rolled out the red carpet more and it was neat to hear Rebecca's perspective as someone who lives there.

We took so many pictures, we'll have to see how quickly we can get them up. [Smile] I'd like to exchange pictures as well, if you wouldn't mind. I know there were a few we got only on one camera.

KarlEd
Member # 571

I'll have ours online soon and I'd be happy to email full size files of any specific photos you want.

You wouldn't happen to remember where that bead museum is, would you? [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Photos (from halfway down this page forward):
http://plastic-castle.com/tom/photoalbum/view.php?gid=11&page=9

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Any hints as to who's who?

-Trevor

Edit: Duh, read the file names. Ignore me.

[ April 13, 2005, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

If you still have doubts, I put who's who in the comments section of the dinner photo.
Christy
Member # 4397

Here

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.