FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music in your head (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Music in your head
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm constantly getting music in my head from one thread or another, and I know I'm not alone in this.

So, here's the place to post threads that put music in your head!

The three little fishies song

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But, at least now you can do the hand motions! [Evil]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually sometimes write music in my head, completely unintentionally. I find myself mentally humming some melody or another and then realize that it isn't from any song I know. Then I try to remember it and usually fail.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

KQ: True!

More music in my head:

Mr. Mistoffeles

Twinky: You should write it down! [Smile] Eventually, you could create a magnum opus and call it the Hatrack Suite (or something)!

[ April 11, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I get stuck on Twink's music sometimes.

But right now, I'm stuck on my own.... [Grumble]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
It's entirely my own fault, but I've had the Hindi music I reviewed in this thread stuck in my head for a week now. It's pretty bad.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Manah Manah!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Twinky: You should write it down!
I can't, I don't have perfect pitch. Yet.

*determined

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Not having perfect pitch is no excuse! All you need is good relative pitch, and a pitch reference (like a piano). Pitch problem solved. [Big Grin]

I don't have perfect pitch either, but it's quite possible to transcribe stuff without it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even need a piano if you have a good transcription program on your computer.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

There is also the problem of rhythm...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about the rhythm. Even if I have the notes in my head, and can transcribe them it's very hard to figure out what the time signature etc is!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's what the good transcription software is for. [Big Grin]
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
good transcription software
No such thing. [Big Grin]

Rhythmic transcription isn't necessarily a piece of cake, but it's doable (it's part of what I teach on a daily basis). Basically, for time signature, all you have to do is decide, "Is it 2, 3, or 4?" Once that's done, decide whether each beat is divided into two or three.

Of course, if you're doing something wacky like 5 or 7, then you run into trouble. Otherwise, though, it's a relatively straightforward affair.

The other thing you can do is skip the meter altogether for starters and worry about the rhythm (i.e., JUST the individual beats). Then, once you've got that down, determine the meter from there.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It hit number one on the German charts....

I'm not sure how--but I think the concise answer is that the Deutsche Volk are weird. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
The song that is usually stuck in my head is Popcorn.

dododododo do do... dododododo do do...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do something in 5 or 7, be sure to set up the program you are using to set the measures at these intervals.

I usually play in common time until the time comes back around to match the measures (usually about four repetitions).

But then, I usually don't do much odd-time.

From The King Crimson Barbershop Quartet

quote:
So come on and have some fun,
And tap your foot in twenty-one....

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack to my life is always playing through my head. Sometimes it's upbeat. Unfortunately this time it isn't.

Oingo Boingo's Is This

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jhai, that's incredibly adorable... That kid actually has very good pitch and decent tone, for a little one. [Wink]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually sometimes write music in my head, completely unintentionally. I find myself mentally humming some melody or another and then realize that it isn't from any song I know. Then I try to remember it and usually fail.
twinky, I feel your pain. That happens to me too, but not so much as it used to. Sometimes I was lucky enough to be by my piano keyboard so I can record the song... but that's very rare. [Frown]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai, is Schanappi the little Crocodile a German cartoon or are they all completely insane?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does every little kid toy play The Wheels on the Bus"? I am starting to dream that darn song! I wish little ones liked nice quiet toys. Even my babies bouncy chair plays classical music but it's not good classical, it's all hooked on classics renditions that sound weird. Like they are being played by that alien band in the cantina on Tatooine. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one has put these yet!

First thing stuck in my head

Second thing stuck in my head

Can I hear a hallelujah? [ROFL]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

The Schnappi phenomena started on the internet—some nice lady wrote a song for her niece, Joy, who is the 9-year-old you hear singing. A DJ in Hamburg found it and put it on the air last December, and the rest is, as they say, history. A flash animation was developed, a CD of “Schnappi and Friends”, and a site full of merchandise. [Smile]

(Apparently the craziness has spread; the song hit number one in the other German-speaking countries [Austria, Switzerland, Luxemburg, and Lichtenstein], Belgium, and Holland. [All hail Schnappi [Hail] ] It also has a following in France, Great Britain, and Japan.)

All I know is that after I heard it, I had “Schni, Schna, Schnappi, Schnappi, Schnappi, Schnapp” running through my head the entire day.

edited to clear up comma confusion

[ April 11, 2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

*sings*

Schnappi das klines crocodile

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tater. It took me five freaking weeks to get that out of my head the last time. It is now back in. I am afraid to even click the second link.

I'm going to have to come after you and beat you with a salmon now. [Mad]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, but not if my husband gets there first.
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the other German-speaking countries, Belgium, and Holland.
Dutch isn't exactly Deutsch.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Sorry.. [Angst]

Maybe the second one will get stuck in your head.
They're equally stuck in mine. [Angst]

You never know until you try..

[ April 11, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about Schanappi the little Crocodile on the radio the other day. Apparently the little girl, Joy, made up the song, her parents recorded it and put it on the internet. A radio station started playing it, it released on record and now it's the #1 song in Germany. They even have a techno remix of it.

edit.. ah, I'm too slow, but I think the song is very cute.

[ April 11, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

And then there's always..

"I will never ever ever write a song about the Sibbie.." *sings*

So, anymore clickers of my links? [Big Grin]

Dragon
Member # 3670

Speaking of which, I heard there's a new strong bad e-mail...

(does anyone know if the little girl is getting money from her hit song?)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, not everyone loves Schnappi.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

From what I could gather on the "Schnappi-Forum" (on the offical Schanppi site), the family is indeed recieving money from the song. They've also released an albumn sung by Joy...

Some people on the forum were worried that the family was using the girl, but others claimed that she found it all very fun. I'd quote, but it's all in German, and very slang-y German at that.

My German professor was in Germany in January, and says that that Joy and her Aunt were doing the talk-show circuit as well... And that MTV Germany was showing it very often.

Edited for verb tensing [Smile]

[ April 11, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

[Eek!] rivka!
rivka
Member # 4859

What? After hearing that song a couple times, I'd like to shoot the darn thing.

Except to do so, I'd have to listen to the song again! [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

lol
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I'm actually a fan of bluegrass, Bill Monroe, and "I Saw the Light". Also, those squirrels are cute. So, thanks for making me watch the second one; now the good version of the song is in my head, instead. [Smile]
Tater
Member # 7035

No problem, glad you liked it.

So, this means I get to remain salmon free, right? [Hail]

rivka
Member # 4859

No, it means I will hurt you for putting Dragostea Din Tei in my head. I was willing to defer to kq, but now . . .
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

I don't suppose there are any links to the Schnappi song that aren't video, are there?
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Edited for verb tensing
Been reading too much German, have you? [Wink] I always remember what Sherlock Holmes said about the Germans and verbs in "A Scandal in Bohemia". (Warning: the link I posted may be a little irritating to read, although the text seems almost all correct. It's just the way it takes up half the page and the spacing and such.)

[ April 12, 2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Numa Numa has been replaced by Mahna Mahna in my house. Cayla has been going around singing Mahna Mahna ... and asking me for help when she can't remember how it goes! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

And upon seeing this thread again, I have Zombie in my head.

In your head, in your heeeeeead,
Zombie, zombie, zombie-e-e..

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

Thanks, Rivka!

My Mother will never forgive me for the music with which I'm indoctrinating my little siblings. It's almost as bad as the time I brought them a Jordy album.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I have hatrack dot com as my bookmark (rather than going directly to the forum). Everytime I open it, my mind hears:

"People...people posing as people...are the luckiest people in the world..."

(Barbara Streisand from Funny Girl)

It stays there. All. Day. With the wrong words!

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the hiphop version of "Mr. Lonely" in my head right now. My gym is making me cultivate a taste for hip hop. *shakes fist*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

*sings*
Just like...Romeo and Juliet.

Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
too funny - the hubby has been playing the Cranberries' Zombie ALL WEEKEND! I'm stuck between the Pina Colada song and Danke Schoen.

Yeah, I know I need help. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.