FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books that make you cry (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Books that make you cry
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I second The Amber Spyglass.

I'd like to add The Green Mile and Children of the Mind.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Never read the Green Mile, but I cried at the movie.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Amber Spyglass. I didn't like it as much as the first two, but when Will and Lyra had to leave each other forever... "

Oh my, yes. Bawled my eyes out.
Basically, I cry reading many books. The ones I mentioned were the ones that I remember the most, though.

The other night, I watched "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood," which was not the greatest movie. However, it spurred memories of the book, and by gum, that was all it took to get me bawling. And laughing, too.
Funny, I hated the book and almost put it down after the first fifty or so pages. I did not like the character of Sidda at first. Then the whole story just plain knocked me to my knees.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WigginWinning
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for WigginWinning   Email WigginWinning         Edit/Delete Post 
Watership Down
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

I was not expecting that ending at all. I just felt so bad for the poor kid.

Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card

Again, the ending took me by suprise. I thought I had most of the mystery figured out and then, WHAM!

Didn't see it coming.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett. Ender's Game and Pastwatch both.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
OH The Power Of One. I'll have to read that. The movie had me bawling, especially during the Southland Concerto because it was so powerful, and then at the end (of the concerto), the guy dies in the boy's arms... made me cry harder.

[ April 14, 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I second "Charlotte's Web." That definitely makes me cry.

But so do many of the others mentioned here (the ones I've actually read, anyway).

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
The Scarlet Letter is a good book, I say! [Grumble]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't do much more than second things, but The Last Battle and The Amber Spyglass definately did...right at the ends
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, I'm not sure it's a hormone thing...I still cry at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows.

And at the very end of LotR.

Oddly enough, I cried somewhere in the middle of A Prayer for Owen Meany, but never finished the book.

That's my list.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got pretty misty at the end of Shadow of the Giant, during the last two pages and especially after the last paragraph.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I have to agree with whomever mentioned "A Time to Love, A Time to Mourn." I'd completely forgotten about that book, but it made me bawl.

And, of course, Old Yeller.

"The Hundred Dresses" (another children's book) will bring tears to my eyes.

"Flowers for Algernon" -- this might be the biggest tear jerker of all time.

"Same Sweet Girls" made me cry, which actually annoyed me a lot because I felt manipulated into crying. A quote from a friend's livejournal about The Notebook which I think applies: "I believe I meantioned it molesting my eye sockets, and reaching deep into my lacrimea glands with it's vicious clawed hands, yanking the tears right out of me. It was traumatizing. I still twinge every time I blink."

"The Chosen," "The Promise," and "Davita's Harp" all make me tear up.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to choke back some serious sobs when Oy said goodbye to Jake.

Damn....

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gonna be the first to say that I cried from the point that "someone" dies in the end of the most recent Harry Potter book until the end of the Dumbledore scene. SERIOUSLY.
I cried first when I thought is was someone else dead. Heartbreaking.

Ender's Game: When Ender discover's it isn't a game.
Lost Boys: The Christmas scene (obviously). There were other points I cried, but it was years ago and I can't bring myself to read it again to refresh my memory.
Dragonsong by Anne McCaffery: In the beginning when Mavi heal's Menolly's hand wrong and she thinks she'll never play again.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis: The stone table.
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen: When we learn why only the princess survives the end of the fairy tale.
The Here and the Crown by Robin McKinley: When the dragon's head talks to Aerin in the banquet hall.
Peace Like a River by Lief Enger: The whole thing.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't cry so much as get a little misty eyed (and I'm also familiar with the tight-chest sensation mentioned by UofUlawguy).

That being said, some books that I remember making me misty-eyed were:

The Sword of Shannara (I was like ten the first time I read it)
The Black Cauldron (ditto)
Shadow of the Giant (the email from Graff to Bean at the end was a killer for me)

One book in particular makes me misty-eyed every time I read, and I'm not sure why. That book is: A Wish for Wings that Work. Every single time.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried at the end of the Fionavar Trilogy and at the end of The Lions of Al-Rassan both are by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you have already mentioned my tearjerkers. [Smile]

Rilla of Ingleside bawled like a baby when...well, just read it.
Lord of the Rings The whole thing had me teary just because I got so darned attached to the characters. When they were heroic, I cried. When they were sad, I cried. If someone died, I cried. If they helped each other, I cried. Terrible.
Earthborn The end transformed me to slop. Wonderful stuff. [Smile]

I'm also the kind of person that cries at a good All-State commercial, so if there's some good writing and good characters, I'll usually shed a tear or two. Or 500.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Watership Down, A tree grows in Brooklyn, Children of the mind, The Women of Genensis Trilogy (I couldn't cope with the idea that these women were no longer the protagonists in the next book), and Shadow of the Hegemon. Peter is one of my fav. characters, I hated the fact that he was dead.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The High King by Lloyd Alexander

The part where Fflewdur burns his harp to keep the companions alive a little longer when they are freezing.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
The bit in Merlin by Stephen Lawhead when Ganieda dies.
More recently, the last scene of Anne of Ingleside when she's been thinking all those silly things about Gilbert (but those are happy tears, really).
Lots more, but those are all I can think of at the moment... I used to pride myself on never crying at books, but that all changed when I grew up lol

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it that this thread is on page two and Love Story has not yet been mentioned?
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never cried from a book but their have been two that made huge lumps in my throat and I got pretty choaked up. They were:
Bridge to Tarabithia
and Where the red fern grows

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys
Bridge to Terabithia
Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley: When the dragon's head talks to Aerin in the banquet hall.
Gives me the shivers every danged time. A beautiful example of good writing.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
A Patch of Blue

Although it has been probably nearly 30 years since I read it....but I still remember how it made me feel.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

A second for Jane Yolen's Briar Rose
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit surprised to not have seen Speaker for the Dead yet, especially since I cry every time I read it!

Thanks again, OSC! I just had to also chime in that SFTD is my all-time favorite book as well, so I might be a bit biased.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that the scences that make me misty aren't the ones where something sad or tragic happens. They're the ones where someone does something incredibly selfless, noble and brave -- where someone makes incredible personal sacrifices for someone else. Like Sidney Carton at the end of A Tale of Two Cities. Or Spock in The Wrath of Khan. Or, yes, Old Yeller. (Although, strangely, I don't remember any of the above actually making me misty at the time.)
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I love reading, and I've been in kind of a rut (I guess you could call it that) lately because I can't find books that keep me interested. This thread has given me quite a list to look for [Smile]

My tear-jerker list:
1. A Walk to Remember
2. The Notebook
3. If You Come Softly
4. The Elephant Man
5. Peace Like a River
6. Gone With the Wind
7. All Quiet on the Western Front

There's probably a million more. I cry a lot when I read. Not always from sadness, though.

I forgot the book that just made me weep recently.
A Separate Peace by John Knowles. [Cry]

[ April 17, 2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh I forgot about Gone With the Wind. When she got back to Tara and her mother was dead? I thought I would die. [Cry]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. [Cry]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
One book made me cry. It is last night when i was finishing it. This book is Les Travailleurs de la mer by Victor Hugo.

The story let me in a sadness because the principal character is like me. I have a perticular empathy with Gilliatt (the hero). His suffering is my suffering. I still have difficulties to speak about. I can't developp more.

My favorite book.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
David Copperfield made me cry this morning.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much all of my favorite books have made me cry at some point. A partial list:

- The Amber Spyglass (the entire ending... [Cry] )
- Harry Potter 5 (from the point where a certain character dies, straight through to the end of the book. And for about ten minutes afterwards. [Blushing] )
- Abhorsen (from the Ninth Gate chapter on. The ending of that book is so poignantly beautiful...)
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (at multiple points in both the First and Second Chronicles - God, those books are an emotional roller-coaster [Eek!] )
- LOTR (at the Bridge of Khazad-dûm and especially at The Choices of Master Samwise)
- Children of the Mind (when all the ansibles were shut off, because Jane's my favorite character. Never would've guessed that, would you? [Razz] )

That's far from everything, but it's the main ones, I think...

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had to choke back some serious sobs when Oy said goodbye to Jake.
[Cry]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
It still gets to me.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The Silmarillion makes me cry.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Those had to be tears of boredom.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Punwit! [No No]

[Wink] hehe.. it does read like the bible...

But for real...the Silmarillion is so powerful. I love it.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of books make me cry. Seems like all the best ones do, doesn't it?

I second The Giving Tree, Charlotte's Web, Old Yeller, Little Women, and Of Mice and Men, Watership Down.

Heidi is a big one for me. When I would read it to my nieces, I'd cry so hard and that they'd pat me to comfort me.

Requiem for a Wren by Nevil Shute is one that I had to put down and sob for a while before I could pick it up and finish it. It wins the prize for me as the saddest book ever.

Lots of things by Dostoyevsky. Crime and Punishment, the Brothers Karamazov, and especially The Idiot. I just finished recording me reading "White Nights" one of my favorite stories of his, for Sasha my son. I was crying so hard by the end that I could barely get the last few words out, and as soon as I hit the stop-record button I burst into loud sobbing. [ROFL] Dostoyevsky makes me feel like he's telling the deepest secrets of my heart, you know? He does that to everyone, touching on things you didn't even realize you felt. I love him so much! Anyone reading this please try him. I think he's the best writer ever!

If ordinary writers are 120 volts, and Uncle Orson is 460 volts, then Dostoyevsky is 35kV. Honestly, you have to try him. I might even send you a copy of me reading that story, if you ask nicely. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
I'm also the kind of person that cries at a good All-State commercial
Oh Narnia! Me too! Supermarket Grand Openings!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The other day I was reading (for the umpteenth time) RotK in a restaurant and when I read the scene where Eowyn offs the Witch King, wow that was so powerful, I sat there in public with tears running down my face. I'm sure those people thought I was silly.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
I second The Giving Tree
oh MAN... I cry every time I read that. [Frown]

I remember reading the last of the Prydain series back in high school... SOBBING... wow.

TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see..

Well, I guess I'll go in order starting with the most recent.

Shadow of the Giant
Ender's Shadow (Am I the only one who always cries at what Bean says in the end?)
Amber Spyglass
Dogsbody
The Homeward Bounders

That's all I can remember, right now.

Oh yes, Bridge to Terebithia and Tuck Everlasting? How could I have forgotten those two peices of my childhood?

[ April 23, 2005, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: TheClone ]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

(((Tatiana))) It's SO good to see you dear. [Smile]
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading "The Boy With No Shoes", by William Horwood after I first posted here. Then lo and behold, tears at the scene where Jimmy finally comes across someone who understands and who believes in him. That's the second book I've cried over.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Just finished Shadow of the Giant. I cried in three different places.

I also just re-finished The Stand (By Stephen King). It makes me cry every time.

I read I'll Love You Forever to my son tonight, and it made me pretty misty.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

<<<<Narnia>>>> You too!
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't cry much from books, I don't think I ever have (although sometimes reading the Bible I will) but here's some that are particularly emotional

A Child Called It- saddest book I've ever read
Lost Boys- the end where it talks about how the Fletchers not leaving because they were tied by the living and the dead.
The Giving Tree- I've never read it- but when I was in the 3rd grade- a student in the grade above me died in a car wreck, and this was her favorite book- and they built a memorial for her in the library with a painting of the Giving Tree and books dedicated in her memory. So that makes me sad

Bridge to Terabithia- that didn't leave me sad at all. I was just like- oh, she's dead. Maybe if I read it now- I was in the 8th grade- right at the age I got excited over the climactic stuff.

Where the Red Fern Grows- this book, while its ending is horrible does not depress me at all. It actually makes me feel better- I don't see it as an ending about death- but rather I see the whole story about how love can come and bring joy to people's life that they would have never known- even if that love has an end. And the end where they find the Red Fern- that doesn't make me sad- it makes me feel like everything was worth it.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.