FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell me about your favorite Western (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me about your favorite Western
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is Quigley Down Under. It may not count because it's set in Australia, but who cares? Why is it my favorite?

1. Tom Sellek. He's such a wonderful cowboy and the character he plays is the perfect mix of macho and teddy bear. [Smile]

2. The love story. When he comes back to the cave and Cora just wraps her arms around him in relief...and he just hugs her right back. It doesn't get better than that!

3. Alan Rickman. He's the best villain and I think this is his best villain role. He was so absolutely despicable.

4. The ending. I won't spoil it, but the line "I said I didn't have much use for one..." is so perfect and fantastic.

5. That gun. A western is not a western without some good shooting. That is the coolest gun ever.

So tell me about some other westerns that I should see.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
City Slickers.

Because it's funny and makes fun of Westerns, which suck. [Razz]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Have you SEEN Quigley Down Under? You would love it. [Razz]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I haven't. So I shall have to look it up on your reccomendation. [Smile]
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

There is definitely some PG-13 violence, just to warn you, but I think you'll like the movie. And Tom Selleck is just so darn cute! [Big Grin]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's Once Upon A Time In The West...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Good, the Bad and The Ugly - just for the last ten minutes of the movie.

Close runner-ups...

1. High Plains Drifter
  2. Unforgiven
  3. A Fistful of Dollars
  4. For a few dollars more
-Trevor
Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Quigley Down Under. It's funny and clever and wonderful. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If ever I were to go into movie making, one of the movies that I absolutly, positively would make would be a western.

Not a typical western-- it'd be more along the lines of a 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' type western. Where the characters' abilities range on the supernatural, and the plot verges on the mythical.

My favorite western-- I really liked Quigly Down Under, too. And Dances With Wolves.

And Silverado. Boy, Silverado was a good movie. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not a typical western-- it'd be more along the lines of a 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' type western. Where the characters' abilities range on the supernatural, and the plot verges on the mythical.
Sounds like Firefly...

I'm longing to add Serenity to this list.

[ April 16, 2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

Does Smoke Signals count as a Western?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
On a not so serious note, I have to mention Blazing Saddles.

On a slightly less silly note, I nominate Giant. Well, I guess it's a western...

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina! I've been fighting the urge! I've just been waiting for someone else to say it first so I don't appear overly Firefly leaning.

My favourite western is "Destry Rides Again" with James/Jimmy Stewart.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Unforgiven is probably my favorite western movie. Lonesome Dove is not only my favorite western novel, but also one of my favorite books, period.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is also excellent. It's almost of a western. It makes me cry.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Annie - "cowboy", not "coyboy."

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
The Outlaw Josie Wales

by far

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I second The Outlaw Josie Wales vote.

"It has a certain understated stupidity."

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

Blazing Saddles, definitely.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Maverick . Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster. Priceless. The humor is wonderful.

And the old "shoot-em up's" in technicolor with John Wayne - any of them. Actually, I really like the old ones - it reminds me of rainy Saturdays snuggled up next to my dad rooting for the good guys.

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
#1. Unforgiven
Clint Eastwood playing the older version of nearly every classic Clint Eastwood character ever. Gene Hackman showing why nerve counts for more than aim. English Bob <- Nuff said.

#2. Silvarado
Just great characters all around. Especially Kevin Kline's.
"Where's the dog now?"

#3. Last Man Standing/Fistful of Dollars/Yojimbo
They're all the same movie, and it's a good movie.

#4. Maverick
Hilarious take on a great old show. Makes me want to play cards.

#5. Back to the Future 3
What? It's a western!

Slightly off topic, but on westerns: Has anyone else played Deadlands? I love that game.

--Enigmatic.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What? No one mentions any John Wayne films at all?

McLintock
Big Jake
Rooster Cogburn
How the West Was Won

The man made 175 filmsbetween 1926 and 1976 and no one has any of them in their list of favorites?

[Frown] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I will, Farmgirl. [Smile]

One of my favorite Westerns is The Searchers.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few good ones:

1) "Will Penny" (1968), in which Charleton Heston plays an aging cowboy who takes up with a widow woman (Joan Hackett) and doesn't quite know what to do with his feelings.

2) "Tom Horn" (1980), Steve McQueen's next to last film. He plays a former army scout hired to hunt down rustlers but finds himself on trial for the murder of a boy killed while he's doing his job. Besides it being a great film, somehow the cinematographer managed to make it look like the whole cast jumped into a time machine and actually went on location into the past to film the thing.

3) "Junior Bonner" (1972), another Steve McQueen film (not that I'm a fan or anything [Smile] ), directed by Sam Peckinpah, this is a modern-day western about a dysfunctional rodeo family. I happened to see this one a few months ago on TV after a lot of years (I saw this one in the theatre when it first was out) and was pleased to see that it holds up well.

4) "They Died With Their Boots On" (1941), Raoul Walsh directs Errol Flynn as George Armstrong Custer. Custer comes out looking rather better than history treats him, but the politicians and the businessmen don't look so hot. History takes a backseat to storytelling (translation: don't expect historical accuracy here) but it's a good story, well told and beautifully photographed.

5) "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969), No explanation necessary. "Who are those guys?"

6) "Little Big Man" (1970), Dustin Hoffman plays Jack Crabb, a very old man looking back on his life as a boy raised by Indians, as a gunslinger, as a scout for General Custer. This is a really good, really funny, really sweet movie.

7) "Ride the High Country" (1962), Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott in another Sam Peckinpah-directed western. McCrea and Scott run into trouble while guarding a shipment of gold.

8) "Support Your Local Sheriff" (1969), in which James Garner hires on as sheriff in a town that has been through three sheriffs in the past two months. There are those who believe this movie is funnier than "Blazing Saddles", and I tend to agree with them.

Great. Now I'm going to have to go out and rent movies. [Wink]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I can go along with Farmgirl on McLintock, but Hatari is by far my favorite John Wayne movie. We watch it twice a year.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to confess that I'm not really a big John Wayne fan, but "Hatari!" (yes, I think there is actually an exclamation point in the title) was a pretty good movie. So was "North to Alaska".

Edited to add: Isn't "McClintock" the one where he ends up down in the big mud puddle with Maureen O'Hara? Liked that one, as well. [Smile]

[ April 17, 2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh I LOVE 'Support Your Local Sherrif!'

And I think Back to the Future 3 counts! It so counts!! [Big Grin]

I need to watch some of these other ones.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Silvarado was awsome.

I also really liked Tombstone.

Outlaw Josie Wales too, and Pale Rider.

For pure cheese factor, The Man from Snowy River.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay! Another Australian western! [Big Grin]
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to second "Once Upon A Time In The West"

Not only is this my favorite western, it is one of my favorite movies, period.

It has its flaws, but overall...wow. The opening alone is one of the all time great scenes in cinema.

From the water drops to the fly...unbelievable tension...

Also, Jason Robards performance is wonderful.

Absolutely love that film...

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post Firefly , because it totally fits the bill. Except for being set in the West, per se. But Kat beat me to it! [Wave]

Which is the John Wayne western where the baddie calls him a "one-eyed fatman" and JW says, "Fill your hands, you son of a *%$@!"?

I loved that one.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

Olivetta - that would have had to be either "True Grit" or its sequel, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
In no order:

The Outlaw Josie Wales

Unforgiven

The Quick and the Dead

From Unforgiven:
Gawker:You just shot an unarmed man!
Clint: He shoulda armed hisself.

Olivia, it's Rooster Cogburn.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

See, I like The Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliot and Kate Capshaw. I haven't seen the other one with Sharon Stone and Kevin Costner (right?) but it looks LAME in comparison. [Wink] Am I right?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Not a typical western-- it'd be more along the lines of a 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' type western. Where the characters' abilities range on the supernatural, and the plot verges on the mythical."

A story I actually started here on Hatrack turned into this story, Scott. [Smile] It's about a man and his estranged brother, both almost supernaturally-good shooters, who take different career paths and are both headhunted -- in both senses of the word -- by the personification of Death, who catches up to both of them ourside Omaha.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the old "shoot-em up's" in technicolor with John Wayne - any of them. Actually, I really like the old ones - it reminds me of rainy Saturdays snuggled up next to my dad rooting for the good guys.

Jeesh, Farmgirl! I talked about John Wayne - just two posts ahead of you!

*sniffs and pouts*

Just cause I can't name a favorite . . .

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember really enjoying Tall in the Saddle when I was little.

And I'm a sucker for Bonanza, cheesy as it is [Blushing]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds more like Roland of Gilead to me.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I Will Fight No More Forever AND Cheyenne Autumn (both made me cry, but still my favorites)
Powwow Highway
Hawmps
Oklahoma!
A Good Day To Die
Unforgiven

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lifelong fan of John Wayne

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Big Jake
El Dorado
McLintock
Fort Apache
The Train Robbers
The Sons of Katie Elder
True Grit
Angel & The Badman

(I seriously own at least 50 John Wayne movies)

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonesome Dove (not a movie, but still a western)
Open Range (I love it!)
McKenna's Gold (blew me away when I saw it at age 16)
Last of the Mohicans (kinda more Eastern than Western, but never mind the geography)
Dances with Wolves (but I've only been able to watch it once, it's so sad)
Streets of Laredo (see above, Lonesome Dove)
Little Big Man

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jeesh, Farmgirl! I talked about John Wayne - just two posts ahead of you!
Sorry Shan! Guess I wasn't reading as carefully as I thought I did! Even though I browsed the list twice to see if any mention was made...... [Frown]

Sorry 'bout that.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie" set in the Uttermost West and...

Wait..
Maybe that's a little TOO West...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Paint Your Wagon
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
How has no one mentioned Shane yet?!? [Eek!]
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Blazing Saddles!!

And as for TV shows:

Firefly
Deadwood (or ****sucker as we call it.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the John Wayne movies too.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Woohoo...now we know what it takes to coax Whisky into posting. [Big Grin]

Although John Wayne is a pale imitation of the very personification of the Western we find in Clint Eastwood. [Taunt]

-Trevor

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Some of my favorites:

Shane
Rio Bravo
The Big Country
Unforgiven
True Grit
The Magnificent Seven
Silverado
Rustler's Rhapsody
Blazing Saddles
Red River
High Noon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Lonely Are the Brave

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Deadwood
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.