FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell me about your favorite Western (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me about your favorite Western
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
TV: Frisco County JR.

Humor Movie: Blazing Saddles (though I am a big fan of "Support Your Local Sheriff" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter")

Serious Movie: Rooster Cogburn (I'm a big Hepburn fan)

I have a problem with a couple of John Wayne's movies, (just saying that has marked me for Homeland Securities investigation I am sure) and his treatment of women in them.

McClintock is a long movie that boils down to one moral message--beat your women or they'll run out on you. I liked the movie except for the ending where beating his wife is how he reawakens her love for him, as his daughter had gotten spanked by her new husband.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Freudian slip?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although John Wayne is a pale imitation of the very personification of the Western we find in Clint Eastwood.

I liked Hang 'Em High

But I prefer John Wayne to Clint Eastwood. [Smile]

[ April 18, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: whiskysunrise ]

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
John Wayne is Superman.
Clint Eastwood is Batman.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freudian slip?

Only if it had been you who said it, kat. I didn't even get that it had been changed from Brisco County, Jr. until you said something. I think maybe Dan put the Frisco part in on purpose.

What's really funny about all these Westerns is that only saxy mentioned the Really Super Big One: High Noon. Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly. A man who, when everyone else deserts him, faces up to his responsibility. It set the ground rules for the cowboy honor code, all the ones that Unforgiven became famous for breaking.

As a few people have already mentioned, Tombstone. Val Kilmer was freaking awesome in it!

Edit: because I'm a maroon, an ignoraminus, and saxy is the bestest, and darn it I should be more careful! Thanks, Mike!

[ April 18, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
::cough:: Ahem.

quote:
What's really funny about all these Westerns is that nobody mentions the Really Super Big One: High Noon. Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly. A man who, when everyone else deserts him, faces up to his responsibility. It set the ground rules for the cowboy honor code, all the ones that Unforgiven became famous for breaking.
I also feel compelled to point out that not everyone would agree that High Noon is a good Western. Howard Hawks made Rio Bravo specifically as a rebuttal to High Noon, with John Wayne's John T. Chance trying to protect people by not letting them get involved, whereas Gary Coleman's Will Kane runs all over town asking for help, only facing down the bad guys after all other avenues have been exhausted.

[ April 18, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*offers saxy a cough drop*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lonesome Dove (not a movie, but still a western)
Though I guess not technically a movie, there was a Lonesome Dove miniseries on tv in the 80s. It's definitely as good as any movie western released in theatres, with some real star power (Robert Duval, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover and Diane Lane, just to name a few). There was also a television adaptation of both Streets Of Laredo (which sucked) and Dead Man's Walk (which also kind of sucked). In all cases, though, the books were better than the movies.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The books are good - Larry McMurtry is a great author! The Lonesome Dove series was good, too. I have the miniseries on VHS.

Do you like L'ouis L'Amour, Farmgirl? I spent many hours curled up with grandpa reading LL.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lonesome Dove miniseries (I got it on dvd now!) is the best western ever, as good as the book. And I liked Streets of Laredo. James Garner made a good Woodrow Call. But Robert Duvall! Man, what an actor. He's the main reason I liked Open Range so much, along with the incredible shootout at the end.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Has no one yet mentioned the two movies "Support Your Local Sherrif" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter"? The first is the better of the two, IMO.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slightly off topic, but on westerns: Has anyone else played Deadlands? I love that game.
Hehe, I wrote for that game, at least some of their website adventure work. Somewhere out there Fever Pitch is probably still on the web.

Deadlands was a hoot and still is.

"The spaghetti western with real meat." [Evil]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
::cough::
quote:
I also feel compelled to point out that not everyone would agree that High Noon is a good Western. Howard Hawks made Rio Bravo specifically as a rebuttal to High Noon, with John Wayne's John T. Chance trying to protect people by not letting them get involved, whereas Gary Coleman's Will Kane runs all over town asking for help, only facing down the bad guys after all other avenues have been exhausted.

Whatchutalkin' bout, Willis?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite westerns:

Big Jake
El Dorado
Tombstone
Once Upon A Time In The West (for the opening...wow)
El Diablo (I think that was the name of it with Louis Gossett, Jr. and Anthony Edwards).
The Scalphunters
Ravenous

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

What, you didn't see the remake?

In my defense, I once saw Buffalo Bob make the very same mistake.

Buffalo Bob: Who could forget all those magic moments in High Noon?
Gary Coleman: Um, wrong Gary.

So what if his was scripted?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has no one yet mentioned the two movies "Support Your Local Sherrif" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter"? The first is the better of the two, IMO.
*clears throat* First page. I definitely mentioned "Support Your Local Sheriff", and I would have added "Support Your Local Gunfighter", but I'd gotten to number eight on the list already and I thought it was getting kind of long. While I don't like it as much as "Sheriff", "Gunfighter" (which is not a sequel, by the way, as many people think) is a good film.

By the way, have any of you seen another James Garner western, "Skin Game"? It wasn't bad, either.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

They played golf in a western?
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They played golf in a western?
No, no, no, no. It doesn't have anything to do with golf. In this 1971 film, James Garner and Louis Gossett, Jr. play two con men before the abolition of slavery. Their game is that Garner sells Gossett as a slave, then springs him from his new owner and they move on to another town to do the same thing all over again. Then things get complicated in messy and funny ways.

Edited to add the year the film was made.

[ April 19, 2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Duel at Diablo (Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis)
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slightly off topic, but on westerns: Has anyone else played Deadlands? I love that game.
*raises hand*

I can't think of any other movies that you guys haven't already listed. But some of my favorites are-

Ravenous
Support Your Local Sheriff
Blazing Saddles
True Grit
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Tombstone
The Missing
Lonesome Dove (the miniseries)
Johnson County Wars
They Call Me Trinity
A Man Called Horse

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood

It is my favorite because of the darkness of this movie. And Clint is so so strong in his silence. In french the title is "Impitoyable" (pitiless).

Another Western i like too is Pale rider. Clint Eastwood again. I like very much his work.

[ April 19, 2005, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this has gone to two pages and no one has mentioned The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin, in a classic story, this is maybe the best ever.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow, you're right. That is an awesome movie.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

The Sons of Katie Elder
Deadman (really tough to watch, really really tough)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Wild Bunch

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.