FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek XI? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek XI?
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8681

Hmmm... interesting. Before Kirk, new cast. O_O

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good way to guarantee that the movie flops. What do they say about odd-numbered Trek movies?
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh.

I'm still holding out for a Star Fleet Academy movie.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

Yeah, but then again, I happened to have liked Star Trek: Generations (or, Star Trek 7).

I am intrigued, and will of course, go see it, only because I'm such a movie whore. I really think it's possible that it will be good. The problems that I see is that the audience is going to be exposed to a set of characters that they haven't had time to identify with yet. However, provided it has a decent plot, I think I can overlook that.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't dislike all the odds, actually. 7 was good, and so was 3.

5 didn't exist. So I have no opinion on it. And the original, while fairly awful, has some good parts.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It was only a matter of time, but there's a report of a Star Trek MMORPG.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

People have been doing paper-based ST role-playing games for 30+ years.
gossip
Member # 4849

True. It's kind of sad, when you think about it, that after Enterprise for the first time in 18 years, there will be no new series on air.
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Jendresen: Star Trek Needs Epic Adventure
quote:

With the cancellation of "Enterprise," and reports of what actress Jolene Blalock (Cmdr. T'Pol) described as an "appalling" finale

Oh great....

They tried to go back with Enterprise and it flopped. So now after a movie that flopped so big (Nemesis) they’re going to try the flop idea on the big screen?

You’ve seen all those Super Bowl commercials with the Monkeys running the office? I think it was the front office of those now running the Star Trek franchise. Unreal.

I really like Star Trek, but I hate that it’s falling apart. What would be so hard about a huge epic movie with as many of the TNG, DS9, and Voyager crew you can sign? Heck, throw in some time travel and have some of the Enterprise crews. Blow up a bunch of space ships and have some classic villains try to kill humanity. What’s so hard about that?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

I actually quite liked Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Search for Spock was so-so, Generations was pretty decent, and Insurrection was forgettable. I really liked Nemesis, even if it did flop (and eve if it was mostly a recycling of Wrath of Khan).

Oh, and then there's the Trek That Cannot Be Named.

[ April 18, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Sarcasm ]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I used to be a pen-and-paper RPG geek, believe me - I am aware of the Star Trek rpg. [Big Grin]

Although its not one of the hotter titles in the paper market, at the moment.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/startrekonline/news_6106778.html

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

STTMP isn't so bad . . . except for Decker (so wooden that Stephen Collins is embarrassed to watch himself); and the transporter accident sequence, which gives me nightmares.

(Although, if you think about it, there is an irony that Decker is now tv-married to Gillian (from STIV). [Wink] )

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked Generations, probably tied with Frist Contact for my favorite of the TNG movies. Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock (that was the one with the whales right?) were my favorite old ones.

This new idea however is going to fail horribly. The only thing that kept Nemesis from totally failing was the fact that the die hard fans still wanted more Picard. People like the flashy space battles as much as anything else. They like phaser fights on weird planets. We've already covered Cochran and his Phoenix flight, doing another Enterprise like movie will bomb worse than any other big production sci fi film to date.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

"The one with the whales" was ST-IV. Search for Spock was the "McCoy is going nuts and it turns out Spock's not really dead after all, so let's steal a Klingon Bird of Prey and fix everything!" one.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love that one =) Scotty has some great lines in it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that one.. I also like the whale one. But Wrath of Khan is like, the best movie EVER.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!
rivka
Member # 4859

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Felt Like the Right Time to Bring this Back
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

"The whale one" was alright. The Undiscovered Country is my absolute favorite.
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course Khan is a "hot old guy". I hear those pecks were real. He worked out a long time for them! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
He's dead Jim. [Cry]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You take the communicator, I'll grab his wallet.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Start Trek needs a dose of Firefly-like qualities if you ask me. Edginess and such.

Although I've only seen two of the nine, "The Whale One" is brilliant.

[ April 18, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....starring Will Wheaton! *fangirl sigh*
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Annie, totally!

I met him, once. Signed picture and everything. [Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Star Fleet Academy" makes me think of a horrible Star Trek/Police Academy hybrid. Ick.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Fleet Academy? We may as well board up the whole series and never speak of it again if that happened... [No No]

I don't think the idea they have cookin' for XI right now is necessarily a guaranteed flop. What really hurts their chances, though, is the continued involvement of Berman and Braga. Braga is a talented guy, but they've both been working on the franchise for far too long and they just need to step down. For Trek to continue to be interesting, something it hasn't really been until parts of the 3rd season and this season of Enterprise since DS9, it needs some fresh ideas and needs to take some chances.

I like the idea of a gritty space-war film, it's something that hasn't been done with Trek before. It's always so sterile, and Enterprise has been that way as well. As for a whole new cast, part of me thinks if no one wanted to go see Picard and the gang (by far the most popular Trek), no one will want to go see a new cast. On the other hand, if they play their cards right, I can see it working.

By the way, does anyone know OSC's thoughts on Trek? I've always wondered if he was a fan.

[ April 18, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: BryanP ]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....starring Will Wheaton! *fangirl sigh*

I have his blog on RSS feed through Bloglines LOL... he's currently in Vegas playing in the World Poker Tournament... road trip anyone?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked V. [Evil] Someone has to.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*glare* I told you.

It doesn't exist.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You're dead to me, Trisha.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's all about First Contact. Best Trek movie ever. Second place: Wrath of Khan. Last place: Insurrection.

And I really hate the idea of a Star Fleet Academy movie. And TV series. It just seems too... adolescent.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

Oh come on, Insurrection was in no way worse than V!

Second to last, perhaps.

And yes, First Contact was my favorite as well.

Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost track of the numbers. WoK is still my favorite ST movie, followed by the whales which I thought was hilariously wonderful. ("He's a Ruskie alright, but he's a re-tard or something!") I liked it when Troi and Will finally got married, and, weirdly, I loved _Nemesis_ and was really sorry that it came out in the middle of the two biggest releases in modern times, _HPII_ and _LotRII_. I think that's the biggest reason it "flopped." And, to my mind, _Enterprise_ "flopped" because they never marketed it on a channel with universal exposure. I would have watched it if my cable company had made UPN available. I finally got the dish, but by that time I was so far behind that I couldn't pick up the storyline and character relations enough to follow it. But there were some well-written episodes, I thought, even so. [Smile]

Just my take. I saw the original episodes when they were on network! I'm a really old STer! Oh! And the pecs were fake, but Ricardo Montalban was pretty anyway, a lot prettier than he was on "Space Seed." [Wink]

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come now, V had it's fun parts... I love the 'Marshmellons...' fun stuff.

The worst ones in my opinion... hm, VI and Insurrection.

Best ones: II, IV, and I agree... First Contact.

"Time!? We don't have time to argue about time we don't have the time!" Troi
"You're drunk." Riker
"No I'm not, I'll have you know that it took about four shots of something called Tequila before he would even tell me his name! And if you ask me, he's nuts!"
"I'll be sure to report that in my log."
(Cochrane (Spelling) starts up some rock music.) Riker does a little boogy dance thing and the timing between him and Troi passing out was just... classic.

(I may have adlibbed a bit there, but I think I got it.)

[ April 18, 2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, this thread is begging for a list and so I will deliver.

1. First Contact
2. Wrath of Khan
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Voyage Home
5. Nemesis
6. Generations
7. The Search for Spock
8. Insurrection
9. The Motion Picture (the director's cut, though, is actually pretty good)
10. You know, the one where they used Enterprise D sets for Kirk's ship.

Ha! Beat that!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
David Cox has written some rather well done novels on the Rise and Fall of Kahn. He does a good job of pulling together numerous elements from the ST universe for the late 20th century (Gary Seven, Chekov's capture by the US military, etc) as well as real events (like Indian nuclear testing in 74, the tragedy at Bhopal, American militia groups, or the hole in the Ozone layer- Methuselah the immortal shows up in that scene) and combines them to show where Khan came from and how he interacted with our (now) past. Was well done and actually quite fun.

He also has written the final Kahn book, To Reign in Hell, showing what happened to Kahn and the planet after "Space Seed" and bringing some closure to the entire Kahn saga.

Made a nice thematic whole with the original series and the movie.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those books! I got them from a friend as a present one year, and really really liked them. And they were especially good compared to the only other ST novel I've read: Q-In-Law. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You don't like Peter David?!? [Eek!]

I'm sorry, I can't speak to you any more.

IanO
Member # 186

Q-In Law is hilarious. Especially the audio version read by John DeLancie (Q) and Majel Barret (Lwaxana). John DeLance is so flippant.

Not deep by any means. But hi-larious. Peter David's Imzadi is very good as well (probably his best). Imzadi II, not so much.

David Cox also wrote the Q-Continuum novels. He talks about a war among the Q and some other super beings and again pulls events from all over the ST universe across 15 billion years. Two of the superbeings are the 'god-head' in Final Frontier that was imprisoned at the center of the galaxy and the * in the original series that fed on crew conflicts. The other being was imprisoned outside the galaxy. The Q placed a barrier around the galaxy, with explained where Gary ? received his powers and silver eyes when Kirk and co tried to cross the barrier (one of the earliest Trek episodes). Again, he did a great job of pulling disperate episodes from all ST series up to that time (late 90's) and events and placing them into a highly plausible framework that was both fun and exciting.

[ April 19, 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Q-in-Law was not his best. And it helps to have David's sense of humor to enjoy his books. Wrote some good episodes of B5.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
The best books were the Q trilogy about Q's past. I thought they really made a real "person" out of Q.

The best movie is by far First Contact, then Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered country... then it gets a little hazy.

However, what they need to do for a movie is do the mirror universe! Bring back the intendent and all the hot evil girls!
The mirror universe is still so untapped and would make the best spinoff tv series or movie.

otherwise the academy is the next most logical place to take Star Trek. Saved by the bell meets Star Trek!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

quote:
However, what they need to do for a movie is do the mirror universe! Bring back the intendent and all the hot evil girls!
The mirror universe is still so untapped and would make the best spinoff tv series or movie.

*groans*
IanO
Member # 186

The Mirror Universe, once the fun of seeing our favorite characters behave differently, is just stupid. Assuming every person is behaving differently (under the alternate-federation), then the people who married/copulated to create Kirk, Sulu, Spock, etc would not have done so. Can we imagine Sarek marrying the human Amanda under such circumstances? Perhaps one or two people would repeat such actions in the parallel universe. But that line would rapidly differentiate so that within one generation, the entire populations would be entirely different.

Let alone, all of them serving on the same ship at the same time, despite their (and society's diverging timelines).

Example. Assuming (big assumptions) a parallel universe where all the DS9 crew exist and serve in the same vicinity (as we saw on the show) just because Jadzia Dax (of the normal timeline) died doesn't mean that she would have died in the parallel so that Ezri Dax would be there too.

Yeah, it's fun. And I know, it's ST. But sometimes the suspension of disbelief is too much.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Can we imagine Sarek marrying the human Amanda under such circumstances?
Jean Lorrah actually wrote a wonderful fanfic exploring/explaining this. Doubt it's available online, and my copy disappeared two moves ago. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, you can buy it online.

*tempted*

TMedina
Member # 6649

Marrying or failing to marry does not prohibit or preclude procreating.

-Trevor

IanO
Member # 186

You'll notice I said marry/copulate to cover those possiblities.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I was addressing your point of Evil Sarek marrying Evil Amanda.

They wouldn't have to marry and what are the odds Amanda and Sarek would have met in the "real" timeline?

Highly unlikely, if not for all the random acts and choices made leading up to Vulcans encountering Humans and maintaining peaceful relations.

-Trevor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.