FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek XI? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek XI?
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I agree. If the Vulcans were as coldly bloodthirsty as Spock was then why would they have maintained good relations with humans, let alone served under them, as Spock did Kirk. Vulcans are smarter, longer lived, and stronger.

No Spock.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And you're assuming that alt-Spock picked up bloodthirsty from Dad and not Mom why?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I suppose that's true. But even assuming a Spock, what about every other character? Their parents (who also happened to exist- it depends on the turning point for the timeline) all got together on the exact day and time necessary so that that particular sperm fertilized that particular egg so that that person was born and not someone else? All of them?

ahh! What am I doing? Expecting logic from Star Trek?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I enjoy alt-universes, and not just in Star Trek.

Explaining why/how various characters exist, even in an alternate universe, can be one of the best types of fanfic.

Inertia helps, too. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I never said they weren't fun. But a movie based on that?
rivka
Member # 4859

I wasn't pushing for an alt-universe movie. I want the Academy one! [Big Grin]

Alt-universes are best left to fanfic. And SG-1.

Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a really cool short story in one of the early books (c. 1975) where the original ST actors and the characters change places. It's my all time favorite ST short story.
Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming of course alt-Amanda had a choice in the affections of alt-Sarek.

Why would alt-Vulcans serve with alt-Humans? As a Vulcan halfbreed, for many of the same reasons Spock found Starfleet to be a good fit.

And from a society based on strength and savagery, it helps if you have a genetic edge over your rivals versus being surrounded by folks that have an edge on you.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I remember that one, Ele. Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly and Dohaan on the real Enterprise.

Odd but fun.

rivka
Member # 4859

That was a very early fanfic, which IIRC, got immortalized in on of the Best of Trek books, neh?

There was a fic written in response, actually (by another author) -- actually, I think it came first. Had the characters find themselves in Paramount's lot. It was amusing, but the other one was better.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.