FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *Beats Netflix* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: *Beats Netflix*
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid Netflix! Be less irritating!

[Grumble]

Monday, they sent me two Yu Yu Hakusho discs, from the top of my queue. Tuesday, I got one of them in the mail, but it was number 14 and number 12 was the last one we saw. So, we can watch them out of order, or we can wait. NP. We wait.

Wednesday, nothing.

Next day I send back another one. (Finding Neverland -- Can someone please tell me why Johnny Depp never gets an Oscar, despite being flawlessly natural and convincing in everything?)

Today, one day later, I get the thing that was next in my queue, but still no disc 12...

I have no patience. I know it, it's my particular burden. I glare at the microwave for being 'slow'. But I want my Japanese Junior High Supernatural Adventure, and I want it NOW. How will Kurama survive the Death Plant growing in him? Will Hiei's right arm recover from the Black Dragon? Will they ever stop insulting out intelligence and explain why the masked fighter is/isn't Genkai? Middle-Aged Otakus (this one, anyway) want to know!

I mean, the kids want to see how the Dark Tournament turns out. Yeah, that's it. *shifty eyes*

I would SO do the Blockbuster flat-fee thing, but they don't carry the a lot of the off the beaten path stuff I want to see.

I am at Netfix's mercy, and I HATE it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can someone please tell me why Johnny Depp never gets an Oscar, despite being flawlessly natural and convincing in everything?
He's too pretty to be taken seriously.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, it's not really Netflix's fault, most likely. It's the Postal Orifice's. I have had this exact same problem (only substitute out-of-order SG-1 disks) with both of the services I tried before Netflix.

The three Netflix sent me Wednesday all arrived yesterday, though. *smug*

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My one problem with Netflix is that it takes two or three days to get a replacement when the disc doesn't work. We popped in our next disc of Stargate SG-1 last night, and it won't load! On the DVD player, or the computer! So we have to wait for more Stargate.

On the upside, we watched Music of the Heart instead-- which I think I got off the friends' recommendations list or something, thanks guys-- and even my husband loved it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
How many movies do you have to order a month in order for Netflix to be worth it?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want them in order keep all but the next one at the bottom of your queue, and move them up as you watch them.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
afr-- depends on the service you choose. The $18 a month one, we worked out to about 6 a month. Which we do easily.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

"How many movies do you have to order a month in order for Netflix to be worth it?"

$4 rentals at blockbuster. $4 x 5 movies = $20.
Netflix 3 out at a time is $18. If you can watch 3 a week that would be about 12 movies which would cost $48 at Blockbuster in store prices.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that, Stephan. But I like to get 2 SG disks for every movie, so . . .

They're getting shipped at the same time.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced the Netflix slowed down the turnaround on my account when they got a disk back the day after it was supposed to arrive. It is much slower now. They got one disk back on Wednesday, but they are only mailing it today. [Mad]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same question as AFR. I have thought about NetFlix but... I need to know if it is worth the monthly fee. By the Way, what is the Monthly fee?

Opps... Never mind. I guess I'm slow at getting my responses out. [Smile]

[ April 22, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, it may be your Post Office slowing down, you know... If they don't get it out by the deadline, it's a whole day late, and do that two or three times in the process...
Olivetta
Member # 6456

The trouble is, I divided the que into separate thingies for different members of the household, which would do that for me, but I havent bothered to assign movies or fill the other queues, since it would also require shuffling around everything in my current queue to the other queues.

KQ, I know! We got one once that was broken - physically broken half, with the mailer bent and everything - and it was like a week before we got a replacement, because they had to send it from a location far, far away.

EdEET: I Cin't Speel

[ April 22, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Beatnix, if you watch more than 5 or 6 movies a month, it's worth it, especially because Netflix has things you will never find at a physical rental place. The best deal is three out at once, unlimited movies a month, $18 a month.
katharina
Member # 827

Nope, it's not the post office. This is according to their web site.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I have had to report a few that I sent back that took longer than a week to be recieved by them. Usually they send my next movie and then get the late one in a few days.

In my case, I think it is the P.O.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

According to which website?
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, renting at a local Blockbuster is no competition for Netflix. Most of what I get from Netflix are TV shows that no local video stores carry.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The Netflix web site. Wednesday = "We got your disk." Friday = "We are shipping your next disk today!"
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, even if you only watch 3 movies a month through netflix, I still think it's worth it. If only for not having to deal with leaving your home at all. the movie is mailed to you. you keep it for as long as you want. and then you just drop it in the mail.

And I know that Blockbuster now has their "no late fees" thing, but before that my average rental ended up costing me double the money in late fees.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Hmm.... I am much interested. I believe I will have to speak to my wife about his. We haven't rented in a while because I had a brain fart and left 4 new releases at home over a weekend when they were suppose to e returned and I don't feel like paying a 20.00 fine. I also like the fact that so many unusual titles are available.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

By the way, this thread keeps making me pause and do a double take. I keep seeing my screen name. Even though I've posted in this thread a few times and I obviously know it isn't my name I still keep seeing Beatnix! [Dont Know] I wonder what that says about me?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, sometimes that means the disc is in high demand or they have a low supply, and they have to get it from a different center to your distribution center first. That's what happened when we rented Brigham City-- they have, like, two copies, and both were in Utah or Idaho or something, and we had to wait for them to ship it from there to hear before it was shipped to us.
katharina
Member # 827

It happens a lot - it's happened much more frequently lately. I think they have some bugs in the system somewhere. I'm calling them the next time it happens.
Portabello
Member # 7710

You got Netflix to send you Brigham City? I try, and it tells me that the DVD hasn't been released yet.
Stephan
Member # 7549

Check out hackingnetflix.com. A lot of information and discussion on it and blockbuster.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I have seen a pettern, where netflix slows down after you are a member for a while. Initially the turn around time is fantastic. The distribution center is in the same city where I live. I send the moview today. Netflix receives it the following day. They would ship it the same day, I would receive it the following day. That is the best you could get using regular USPS.

But once you are a member for some time, they slow you down. Now the turn around time is come to more than a week. No change in my address. I called netflix customer support and threatened that I would quit. Since then the turn around time has worsened further.

So anyone wanting to become a member do not stay for more than a month. Make use of the initial free trial and stay for a month and quit.

Posted by: Mike G | July 14, 2004 06:09 PM

I too have seen the slowdown since I started. My first month I got movies and they received movies in 1 day, all the time. Now they'll say they haven't received it or that they won't ship for a couple days. Its frustrating because the 1 day thing was WHY I signed up. Take advantage of their trial period but don't stay, it slows way down. It would be awesome if they did 1 day all the time, but the delays make it much less worth the money. I think they basically try to limit the number of movies a memeber can rent in a month, but haven't heard anything officially about this. Could it be true?

Posted by: Ryan | August 2, 2004 03:08 PM

I'm new to Netflix. I mailed my first return at 4:45PM one business day. The next morning I found I had received an email at 7:30AM letting me know that return had arrived! I was amazed and grateful for having tried Netflix. But I now have my second experience with a return. Four days have gone by without an acknowledgement of receipt of any of three separate mailings done at three separate mailboxes in two different zip codes. I'm mailing to the same regional address as before from mailboxes in a 4 mile area all in the heart of an urban metropolitan area. I don't believe the USPS has not delivered at least one of the returns yet. I assume, but I now demand, that Netflix have a policy of processing all returns within one day of USPS delivery. What they subsequently send from their queue is another matter and is not addressed here. What is addressed is that they can no longer sit on incoming inventory and not credit it in a timely manner. Will they allow me to pay as my schedule and workload allows? Certainly not. Does their inaction affect my ability to use their service? Absolutely. Are they diluting the value of their service by either not being up to the challenge of providing it in the first place (or, perhaps, intentionally dragging their feet to improve their short term profitability)? It certainly seems like it.

Where do I sign up to be part of the class action suit on this matter?

Posted by: Mel | August 18, 2004 12:59 PM

[Mad] [Mad]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Brigham City? Yeah, we got it last year! I think there are definitely some bugs, then. Call them, yes, definitely.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, maybe those people live out in the middle of nowhere. I've been a member for two years - almost 3 now - and I get discs within 3 days TOPS. I send them from my office so I know they're getting out in that day's mail, I get the "we've received" and "we've shipped" emails the next day or two days later, and I get the replacement the day after the "we've shipped" email. Up until about 6 months ago I was getting discs from Lansing, MI, now they have a distribution center about 15 miles from my house. And no perceptible change with the closer center.

(edit: redacted part of my comment based on later posts and because I was a bit intoxicated when I first posted)

[ April 23, 2005, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I had to briefly get rid of Netflix [Frown] .
But, Netflix is always a good service for me except for when one of the videos is under "long wait" or when I want the second disc, but the first disc has a long disc on it so they send SOMETHING ELSE instead of what I want.
But, Netflix is nice because I send the disc off at around 3:30, it gets there in the morning, I get my disc the next day for the most part.

Second that on Johnny Depp. He's phenomenal. It's the same thing with Emily Watson, she totally has got the stage presence, everything, check her out, she's incredible, but does she get an oscar? Heck no, instead people like Jack Nicholson get one and he places the same character in every movie unlike Johnny Depp who is always different in all his films. It is unfair.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first signed up last summer, my DVDs were coming from San Jose and took about 3 days to get here, and 3 days back, so about a 6 day turnaround.

Sometime last fall, they starting coming from Honolulu, and now there's about a 3 day turnaround.

The only time I've ever had a problem was for a movie I wanted to watch one particular week in December (while my children were visiting their dad for Christmas) that took over a week to get here. But I blame that on the mail service, not Netflix. When I complained after a week that I hadn't received the disc yet, they sent another out right away and both discs arrived in the mail the next day.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
From an email I got from Netflix about my griping:

quote:
Here is how we process and ship our DVDs:

We receive rental returns Monday through Friday, except holidays. We process nearly 100% of returns the same day we receive them. When we check-in a return, an e-mail is automatically and promptly sent to you to let you know that we have received your DVD.

Our goal is to ship you the DVDs listed highest in your Queue. We try to ship you DVDs from the distribution center closest to you so that you get movies quickly. Often, on the same day that we receive a DVD from you, we will ship the next available DVD from your Queue. In certain instances, your next available DVD will not ship until the next business day following our receipt of your returned movie. This can occur, for example, when your top choices are not available to you from your closest distribution center or the number of shipments to be processed by the distribution center on that day has been exceeded. When this happens, your DVD will ship on the next business day and may come from an alternate distribution center.

In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those members who receive the most movies may experience next-day shipping and receive movies lower in their Queue more often than our other members. By prioritizing in this way, we help assure a balanced experience for all our members. Those that rent a lot of movies get a great value and those with lighter viewing habits are able to count on our service to meet their limited needs.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those members who receive the most movies may experience next-day shipping and receive movies lower in their Queue more often than our other members. By prioritizing in this way, we help assure a balanced experience for all our members. Those that rent a lot of movies get a great value and those with lighter viewing habits are able to count on our service to meet their limited needs.
ooh I never noticed this part before... I'm going through an average of 12 movies a month. Wonder how much fast they'd show up if I was only watching 6?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine having the time to watch twelve movies a month. That's, like, nearly a work week of movies.

[ April 23, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Kids go to bed at 9:00, I go to bed between 11:00 and midnight. I shut down the television and all the other lights, put a movie into the computer DVD, and stitch in front of the movie for the last couple hours of my night.

I could knock out more discs a month if I only watched once and watched something every single night. There have been quite a few that I either like enough to repeat before returning or missed chunks and needed to repeat to figure out what happened.

*Edit: and there's absolutely NO way I could have managed this with a toddler in the house!!!!

[ April 23, 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

I know just what you mean, Goody.

*sigh*

Still no missing anime disc goodness, but they DID send me a disc of an episodic tv show I have been half following. Only it doesn't play. It seems to have a faint, hairline crack in it that I didn't notice when I first opened and examine the disc upon recieving it. This sucks, because complaining to them and reporting the broken or missing discs will probably put me on some sort of poo-poo list, and I'll keep getting crap like this.

But blockbuster doesn't have the range of movies I want to see, and I can't afford to just buy everything I'm interested in seeing.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This sucks, because complaining to them and reporting the broken or missing discs will probably put me on some sort of poo-poo list, and I'll keep getting crap like this.

I don't think so. I've had one disc go missing in the mail and one arrive cracked. I reported both of them and haven't experienced any decrease in service.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I've had a few that I reported missing that eventually showed up at Netflix, like two weeks after I sent 'em in. I've had one disc show up that was not one asked for, and now two arrive unplayable.

My service has been getting slower, and not just because of the mail. It has taken up to three days for them to ship me a movie after they recieved one from me. This is especially troubling when they get a movie on Wednesday, but don't send me another one until Monday. That is, don't ship the next until 3 business days after the day they got one back.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I think I've been put on the "Make her wait, she gets a lot of movies" list, even though I only rentedd four in the whole month before this. [Grumble]

docmagik
Member # 1131

I just got shipped three extra movies (one for each profile on my account) even thought they haven't said they received my last bunch yet.

Are they trying to make a gesture? They haven't emailed me about it or explained it anywhere.

This happen to anybody else?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Um, never mind. It went away.

that was weird.

Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Finding Neverland -- Can someone please tell me why Johnny Depp never gets an Oscar, despite being flawlessly natural and convincing in everything?)
I would hope it would be pretty hard for anyone to win an Oscar for a movie as trite as Finding Neverland.

Not that Depp isn't the man.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the price is worth it.
But after reading this thread, the service sounds absolutely terrible. [Frown]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Hollywood artsy fartsy types don't like Depp for some reason, never have. Probably the same reasons the masses actually like him.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I've been doing Netflix since January and have had absolutely flawless service. I always get what's on the top of my queue, and though they come from Denver, they ship out the same day my old ones come in and get here in two days every single time.

And it's not even a contest for me, since the only local rental places are the grocery stores and their foreing films section consists of two old Jackie Chan flicks and Godzilla.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I was just freaking out because there have been problems with three out of the last four discs they have sent me (two were broken and one never arrived).

But that wasn't THEIR fault. Truth is, my usual mailcarrier was on vacation for two weeks, so that may have had something to do with it. Linda's back, and my discs arrived today (after being shipped late yesterday) so the service is USUALLY very good.

I was just really frustrated last week. [Blushing]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say Netflix service is bad. We've had it for more than a year and turn-around/delivery times have always been great (1-2 days). [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Well heck! In that case *signs up*
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I use Blockbuster online...I get 3 at a time, about $15 a month, and it includes 2 free in-store rentals per month.

I admit I cheat a bit and report that I sent a movie back the actual day I do, instead of waiting the three days for them to actually get it.

They have a decent selection online, and I can request a series as a set, so they ship the discs in order. If the next one in the set isn't available yet, they send something else from the queue.

And if I simply *must* have something to entertain the kids one evening, or whatever, I can have the hubby stop in the store and pick something up.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Can you pay and stuff in the store with blockbuster without having to give out information online?
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Lemme check.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.