FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Would you Buy Cosmetics from Me?

Author Topic: Would you Buy Cosmetics from Me?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If I sold Avon products, would anyone here by any from me?
The thought of doing that is a bit strange as I do not wear any makeup at all, plus it just makes me think of Edward Scissorhands, which is a movie I should own on DVD.
Why the heck don't I own Edward Scissorhands on DVD?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't, but not because of you; just because I don't buy Avon products. I have horrid allergic reactions to most makeup.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Reasonable question in its hypothetical sense, but please remember not to use the forums for sales pitches.

--Pop

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you're like in real life, of course, but you don't strike me as having a personality that is well suited for sales. That isn't an insult or a compliment either one, by the way. There are people I'm enormously fond of who could sell anything (think Dan_Raven), and people I'm equally fond of that couldn't sell even a product they loved.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I would never buy makeup from a person who doesn't wear any. To me that's like buying a car from someone who can't drive. I like hearing stories of actual experience - like, "Yes, I have skin like yours, and to tell you the truth this foundation dries me out" etc.

Do you like Avon products? Will you begin to use them? I have some experience in direct sales (I sold PartyLite for about a year and did *very* well) and I know that you really do need to like your product. A lot of my customers bought because of my enthusiasm - I used PartyLite candles in my own home and truly felt they were great. If you don't use Avon and don't wear makeup and at I'm not sure how successful you would be.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you Buy Cosmetics from Me?
Why would I buy cosmetics?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Because you're a girly man.

Come on, just admit it.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would I buy cosmetics?
Hey, what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
a) I don't buy avon, all of my make up is hypoallerginic and has to be tested or I turn bright red.

b)I don't know that I would feel comfortable not seeing the products in person first.

But if those weren't the problem, I would love to buy it from you and support you.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If any one on hatrack were selling things that I would buy anyways I would definitely support them. Unfortunately I don't wear makeup though, not anymore at least. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in the "generally don't buy makeup" camp. But you should get Edward scissorhands.

So why don't people get busted for pumping Netflix all the time?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why don't people get busted for pumping Netflix all the time?
well...people who profit from netfilx don't pump netflix, so its a bit different. Its more along the line of people talking about something they love to use.

As for buying makeup...being a male (more specifically, a male who does not wear makeup) I'd not buy it from anyone...but if you are going to sell a product to people, it should be a product that you use.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I could sell bubble bath exclusively... One of the few girly things I like is bubble bath...
Or some of those skin things would be nice to sell....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know why people don't get busted for pumping Orson Scott Card.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::Glad this isn't an...::

[ April 24, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Come on, you can't say you didn't see that one coming. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Confused]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't currently wear makeup, although once in a great while I think that I ought to resume the practice. And then I realize that if I were to start wearing it again, my coworkers and bosses would think that I was job-hunting, and I catch enough good-natured but sometimes painful flack when I wear a skirt to work...

My personal experience with Avon is not great. My grandmother used to sell the stuff, and every time we'd go visit, we'd get gobs of samples. Probably very old samples, come to think of it.

Let's just say I could perhaps be persuaded...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that OSC guy is ALWAYS pushing books on us...if they weren't so darn good I would report him....

[Evil]

[ April 24, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest: I have a standing policy of not buying direct sales type stuff (Avon, Partylite, Tupperware, etc). Part is that i don't tend to use those products, but part is that I feel put on the spot when a friend or aqquaintance asks me to buy something from them. (Or, "Just come to my party, I don't expect you to buy anything. Because, to be honest, I don't believe them).

I also don't buy things from door to door or phone sales people. Basically, I feel that if I actually need something, I will realise that on my own and seek it out.

Just my .02

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I actually just became an Avon "girl" last week. What a coinkidink! [Smile]

I however am still too new here to even have thought about asking if it would go over well.

I hope you have a good go of it Syn.

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
romanylass, I agree. I buy Tupperware because it's a good product, but I buy it from school fundraisers. And I have a long-standing policy of not buying things from school fundraisers unless the child herself/himself is selling it to me-- and doing it right (although I am always happy to give them pointers on the correct way to do it).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to chime in that if it's not a product you use and love, you probably shouldn't be selling it. Also, if you're considering direct sales of any kind, are there also people you know in real life who you would be trying to sell to/hold parties with? Because while there are circumstances where I would buy from a friend to help them out, if it was something I wanted/needed anyway, (make-up does not fall into this category, I wear very little very infrequently) I probably would not be a long-term customer for anything.

Something like Avon you need to build up a client base of repeat customers, and if we were buying from you we would have to pay additional shipping costs. So while I might make a one-time purchase in the spirit of good-will, I would not repeatedly spend extra to have Avon (or any other) products shipped from you instead of buying from the woman at work who would just have to walk them to my desk. Enriching UPS is not a good use of my money. So unless you think you could develop a local customer base, this is probably not a good idea.

[Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a little disclaimer first of all... I don't sell Mary Kay. I am however, acquainted with people who do. My cousin was into it for a while, but decided it really wasn't for her.

There is, however, a legitimate angle to selling Mary Kay that I don't see as being available with Avon. Mary Kay really stresses skin care above cosmetics, now. You can certainly get cosmetics, of course, but the parties really dwell on the skin care side of it. So, you can sell if you don't wear makeup, and you can also sell to other people who don't either. One thing, though, you should have healthy skin, at least.

My cousin was really gungho about the whole thing, but for some reason she's not into it anymore. I haven't gotten the full story. But I imagine it's the same as any experience selling products you have to pay for up front--with a large emphasis on getting other people to sell it to. I hate that.

Anyway, if you really want to do something like this and are interested in selling, then consider Mary Kay, too. I personally love their products, but I certainly can't afford them right now--even if they DO last much longer.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife likes Mary Kay, and she won't use Avon.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Well sure I would! Although...I would have to explain to my wife WHY I was wearing make-up...but I'm sure I can think of something...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
HT, tell her you want to audition for The Rocky Horror Show.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.