FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Router Question

Author Topic: Router Question
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine was asking me for some help on how to set up his home networking. He currently has a cable modem, a wired router, and an older desktop set up. The reason for the router, instead of just using the cable modem alone, is because his company has policies about working from home that require that you use a certain brand and model of router in order to be able to connect to their networks. He just recently got a new laptop with 802.11b/g WLAN, and wants to add a wireless connection to his network. However, because of his company's policies, he wants to continue using his existing wired router. Now, as it turns out, a quick scan through the stock at the local Best Buy has the wireless access points being more expensive than wireless routers.

What I'm curious about is whether it's possible to daisy-chain a wired router and a wireless router something like so:

code:
Cable Modem ----> Wired Router -+--> Desktop
|
|
Laptop <---- Wireless Router <--+

or whether he needs to just pay the extra money for an access point.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Many wireless routers can be configured to act just as an access point of necessary. Best to confirm at the manufacturer site first, though.

How to Use a Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point

[ April 27, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that post took several minutes to appear after hatrack came back up. Strageness.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know, you can do it, but it requires turning off the routing capabilities of the router. I've never actually done something like this, but the most routers can be turned into plain switches. It would probably be much, much easier just to get a wireless access point, simply because there's not much setup required for it. That's part of the reason they're more expensive. You pay for the convenience of not having to go through a pain in the neck setup that might not work.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
I was using a Linksys wireless router as an access point for 6 months - worked fine. (Was using a DLINK router as my gateway/router.) Most major brands should have no touble pulling duty as a simple access point.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

I was using a Linksys wireless router as an access point for 6 months - worked fine. (Was using a DLINK router as my gateway/router.) Most major brands should have no touble pulling duty as a simple access point.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

In conclusion - save the cash and buy a wifi router, use it as an access point.

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

In conclusion - save the cash and buy a wifi router, use it as an access point.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Sax, I used a Netgear wireless router under a Linksys router attached to a Linksys cable modem for a few weeks and it worked fine. I did it that way because it was quicker to set up and I was pressed for time. Weeks later I went back and cleaned up my mess, taking the Linksys router out of the picture. Works fine that way too.

What doesn't work great is that I can't get my two PCs on the router to talk to each other, and that's bugging me. They both talk to the printer, though, so I figure I have something set up wrong.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you meant a router, as in don't waste your money on anything but a Porter-Cable.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help, folks. I will pass this along.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.