FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just another stupid question from yours truly

Author Topic: Just another stupid question from yours truly
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
When you read the word "salmon," do you hear it in your head as "sah-mon" or "sal-mon?"
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
sah-mun [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Something in between, with just a hint of "l" in between, but not a "real" l.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
sah-mun...i think..

i sometimes switch

Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
sal munn
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
sa-min

the a as in cat

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear sal-mon, but that's only because it's how I remember to spell it correctly. When saying it, I say sa-min.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
sal-mun Rushdie?
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear "sam-in," with "sam" like "ham" and "bam" and "wham" and "ma'am."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm weird. I pronounce "salmon" with just a hint of an "l" and the "un" ending. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
SAL-mun

As opposed to Samlon. (10 points to the first who can say where Samlon comes from without googling.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Salmon.

A word to describe spending all day fighting to get upstream just to get screwed at the end.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
skip the L, like you skip the S in island.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno - when I hop out of the raft, I desperately want to know if there island there or not.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
sa-min, like all the cool people. But how do you say jaguar?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
jaguar = HA-gwahr
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

JAG-oo-are.

What can I say, I guess my family history shows a little in my pronunciation of certain words.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives The Pixiest*

I actually mentally hear samlon sometimes! Mini-grendels -- yum! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear "sam-in," with "sam" like "ham" and "bam" and "wham" and "ma'am."
When I see "ma'am" I think muh-am.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Salmon.

A word to describe spending all day fighting to get upstream just to get screwed at the end.

-Trevor

[Smile]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
skip the L, like you skip the S in island.
Yessir, the only two words in the english language with silent letters.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Points awarded to Rivka!

I absolutely love that book and actually say "samlon" sometimes to refer to the earth variety. =)

Pix

rivka
Member # 4859

Me too! I used to have a signed copy (all three authors) but it seems to have disappeared during one of my moves. [Frown]

The sequel wasn't bad, but not nearly as good as Legacy.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I was disappointed by the sequel. But I think my expectations were so high there was just no way it would ever live up to it.

I envy your misplaced signed copy :green eyed monster:

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sammin.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I don't seem to own it any longer, so no need to be TOO jealous. [Wink]

It was a gift. A (then) secretary of my dad's, who knew I was into SF and had been a president of LASFS got the book, and all the signatures, for me. Pournelle knows my dad anyway via Comdex.

I realized that the book was gone over a year ago, and I'm still rather bummed.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Elizabeth. My hick Texas relatives pronounce the L, and it puzzles me to no end. Of course, they also pronounce the S in Illinois.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear sal-mon, but that's only because it's how I remember to spell it correctly. When saying it, I say sa-min.
Really? I have it on good authority that you say it like "cinnamon."
quote:
But how do you say jaguar?
If you're a hick from Utah, you say JAG-wire.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What was God smoking when he decided that salmon should mate in this manner. [Confused] I knew that God has a sense of humor, but come on, you gotta feel bad for them sometimes.
Edited to avoid contradicting myself.

[ April 29, 2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Epictetus ]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pronounce Human Youman.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear sam-in, and then I always think, "Sam-out?"
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, they also pronounce the S in Illinois.
What's wrong with that?! [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what I meant when I started this thread, is whether how you pronounce it different from how you READ it. I read "sal-mon" in my head but pronounce it "sammin," because I know that's right.

Just like how I read "lowell" when I read "lol" but interpret it as "laughing."

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Sahmon.

But in Hebrew the word is pronounced sal-mon. With an "l".

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed. A strong one. The first time I heard one of my cousins say sahL-MOHN I thought it was hysterical.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
when I read it, I think "sal-mon" but if I say it out loud, or simply think about it (ie; what am I going to eat for dinner) it is "sah-mon"

I'm just weird.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who started out as a sight-reader I READ it "sal-mon" because I had to make a point to remember silent letters.
As someone who has lived in Washington (where salmon snobs abound) for most of her life I SAY ā€œSam-in".

The English language in general, and our imported words in particular, are a mess [Wink]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It's amazing to me how many people pronounce the L, even if only in their heads. Maybe it's just that I've lived in Alaska my entire life, but whether I'm saying it, reading it, or just thinking about it, the word is always pronounced "sammin", to rhyme with "jammin'." I would no more think to pronounce the L than I would think to pronounce the T in "Christmas" or the B in "dumb".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way. In fact, I can't recall having ever heard anyone pronounce the "L." Or even make it a long A, like "sah..."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I must know a lot of hicks, cuz I know a lot of people who pronounce the L. I don't, of course...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard anyone pronounce the L, either. But then, again, I live in Alaska, and we all know better. I also don't understand why anyone has a problem accepting that the L is silent. I wonder whether anyone here ever tries to pronounce the K in "knowledge" or the T in "castle", even if just "in their heads".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um . . .
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't pronounce the "l" but I do say 'Sammen' with a darker "e" or perhaps a lighter "o", instead of "sammin"
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.