FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Howl's Moving Castle

Author Topic: Howl's Moving Castle
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Howl's Moving Castle (Official English Version Website)

*sigh*

I really wish this wasn't just a "Limited Release".

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks really interesting! I want to see it.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, I loved that book. Absolutely awesome writer.

The fact it was made into a Disney movie makes me a bit nervy. The fact Miyazaki is handling it fixes that.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It wasn't made into a Disney movie. Studio Ghibli films are distributed and advertised in the United States by Disney. That's all.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Miyazaki made the movie around a year ago, I think. It did obscenely well in Japan.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Excited* [Party]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Diana Wynne Jones novel was a favorite of mine as a kid, so I'm doubly anxious to see it.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, according to the contract between Studio Ghibli and Disney, Disney isn't even allowed to tamper with the movies. They can translate them and hire voice actors to perform the English dialogue, and of course they handle the American distribution, but that's it. They aren't allowed to add or remove anything. And it's good that Studio Ghibli insisted on that, because you just know Disney would screw with every one of them if they could.

Miyazaki's films always do spectacularly well in Japan. He's a highly-regarded figure, and with good reason. I'm automatically going to see this because it's his film. I don't know what it's about, and I'm not much interested in finding out. I'll find out when I go see it. I don't need to know in order to know that I'm going to it. I have that much faith in him.

If it were a "Disney film", I wouldn't watch it if you bought my ticket and drove me to the theater.

[ May 02, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Link to our discussion on Sakeriver about the movie (seen it, loved it)
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't think anyone stated Disney's involvement was more than that, Verily.

In this case, the translation was handled by PIXAR (who are all big Miyazaki fans, surprise surprise.) [Wink]

[ May 02, 2005, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, then, that you felt the need to point out:

quote:
It wasn't made into a Disney movie. Studio Ghibli films are distributed and advertised in the United States by Disney. That's all.
If everyone already knew that, then your post was as superfluous as mine was. If there's anyone who didn't realize it, then we were both giving information clarifying the Disney/Ghibli relationship. Either way, your post and my post were equally valid, so I don't see the point in trying to invalidate mine.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer is out!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/howls_moving_castle/

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes, still looking forward to it.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
Odd, then, that you felt the need to point out:

quote:
If everyone already knew that, then your post was as superfluous as mine was. If there's anyone who didn't realize it, then we were both giving information clarifying the Disney/Ghibli relationship. Either way, your post and my post were equally valid, so I don't see the point in trying to invalidate mine.
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to invalidate your post. I was mistaken.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if they've released the list of cities where it'll be shown? I checked Disney's web site and Nausica.net and couldn't find one.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST MOVIE EVER!
I won a free ticket to it.
2 to be exact. I hope someone else got the other one, because it was good!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they'll still be selling tickets on Friday; the theater's web site lists the movie as showing, but doesn't give available show times....
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this movie surpassed my WTF?!? quotient.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it. I'm not familiar with the original novel, but Miyazaki certainly made it his own.

Hin and Turniphead rule the world.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In this case, the translation was handled by PIXAR (who are all big Miyazaki fans, surprise surprise.)
This surprises me--I didn't see any PIXAR credits, and to be frank the translation seemed rushed. I wonder if SG is doing its some of its own distribution?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Was the dubbed translation done by Pixar or the subtitles?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The dub was done by a husband and wife team who work for Disney, and not Pixar.

Here is an interview with them.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Took the kids this past weekend. There were Disney rep making people fill out questionaires about it. (MORE MIYAZKI, YOU FOOLISH DISNEY TOOLS!)

Boys loved it. WE loved. I bought the book because the whole plot was wobbly, at best. So far, the book explains a lot. Miyazaki seems to have inserted a bit more Tragedy of War than the book contains, but I haven't read it all yet. He seems to have rolled Suliman and Howl's teacher into one character and made Howlk generally more serious a fellow than in the book. He seems to spend all of his time wooing young ladies in the book instead of flying around battles in hawk form, but potato, potahto. [Wink]

He kept the hissy-fit over his hair, though, so I'm happy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there's any place showing it in Japanese with English subs. I freaking hate listening to dubs, man.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

We saw the subtitled version. Bunbun (who has some Japanese language skills) said that the translation was inadequate at points. But the voice inflection of the characters was great, especially Calcifer and the de-magicked witch.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:

He kept the hissy-fit over his hair, though, so I'm happy. [Big Grin] [/QB]

That was so funny! "If I can't be beautiful, life's not worth living." [ROFL]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the dubbed version. It was so much fun. [Smile] I agree, Turnip-head is awesome.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I want to see this yesterday. I had no idea Christian Bale was in it!!

Maybe I can get a double dose of Bale for my birthday weekend. Mmmm... Batman...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
LONG LIVE ANIME!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Briefly, what do you love?

I kinda fancy posting in the wrong place at the right time.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Anyone else read the book? Very interesting. I didn't even know the author existed before the movie, but I like her.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Diana Wynne Jones is a wonderful author!

I read the book when I was a kid...many of her novels are regularly seen on the "favorites" display of the YA section of my local library.

I suggest tracking down any/all of her stuff.

Though my favorites would probably be "Practical Magic" (a compilation of her short stories) and "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland"...a tongue-in-cheek look at the stereotypes of epic fantasy.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT movie. Saw the english version today. Billy Crystal playing Calcifer was hilarious.

The only other voice I recognized was Blythe Danner as Madame Suliman, which was pretty cool.

All in all it was a fantastic movie, and I can't decide if I like it or Princess Mononoke more. So much to talk about, it's amazing animated movies sometimes have so much more depth than live action.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it for the second time today...I absolutely loved it, as well. I think I'd like it better in Japanese (alas, the rare theatres that it is showing in here are only showing it in English), but overall I just adored it...Howl was just so cool! and Sophie, the poor girl...such a wonderful film...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Told you it was good.
Especially the black wings.
I want to see it again next week, only in Japanese.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the dubbed (boo on moving to hicksville) but I've seen the subtitled online and it was wonderful. Less pretentious than Sprited Away. Great feel-good movie experience. Kinda like Kiki meets Mononoke-Hime which were my two favorite of his films.

I need to watch it again.

Howl's hair-freak-out is certainly a memorable movie moment!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that 4 of those 6 quotes are by the same guy, and two of them say almost exactly the same thing? :|
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Now that was freaking funny and cracked me up. "He's just throwing a tantrum."

Huh?
What quotes?

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
The reviewer quotes at the Official English Version Website. (link in first post on thread) Most of them are by Jerry Beck.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I haven't read the website quotes, so they don't bother me at all [Big Grin]

I will, however, say that this movie and the book both rock, but in completely different ways.

In the movie you know that Howl also goes by the name The Wizard Jenkins. In the book, you find out that...

*****spoilers****

The door leads to Wales when turned to the black side (which is, in a way, his past) and that he's really a guy named Howell Jenkins, and sort of a pathological lier. BUt he knows that Sophie knows when he's lying, so in a way it's LIKE telling the truth. As a matter of fact, part of his defense against the Witch of the Waste and her fire demon has to do with him never being honest. So, he'll get roaring drunk and say something absurd like, "I'm not at all drunk. Heh! See what she'll make of THAT" as he's crawling up the stairs.

The book is actually very much funnier, with a very specific villian and almost nothing to do with war. So the war thing is one of HM's fixations, but added fairly well to the story it seems to work.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I loved the book
But the lack of wings disapointed me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.