FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stuff that Makes You Cry (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stuff that Makes You Cry
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Last song to make me cry: "Letters from Home" by John Michael Montgomery

Last movie to make me cry: I'm a bit of a blubberhead in movies, so I can't remember the most recent--I think it was "The Shawshank Redemption" I watched a few weeks ago.

Last book to make me cry: "Lost Boys," I think.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Last song to make me cry* was "Come what May" from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. But it was a happy cry because I was thinking about Chris at the time.

Last movie to make me cry* was Finding Neverland which I saw on a bus trip to NYC this past weekend.

I can't remember the last book to make me cry.

*cry: get watery-eyed with emotion or get that lump in my throat that would make my voice crack if I were to speak.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Last song: believe it or not, but also "Letters from home" that one gets me everytime i hear it.

Last movie: I hate to admit it, but 'the notebook', right after she suddenly remembers who he is and then forgets again.

Last book: SOTG, actually. When Petra is reunited with her children and Andrew says "Hello, Mama."

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's strange. I also saw The Notebook on the bus this weekend. It got me teary eyed, too, and technically I saw it after I saw Finding Neverland. My reaction to Finding Neverland was stronger so that's why I chose it over the other.

And another interesting coincidence, I just finished SotG yesterday, so while it didn't exactly make me cry, it was the last book I read. Now I'm reading Angels and Demons. I suspect I will escape it with dry eyes as well.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I watched The Bumblebee Flies Anyway last night, and parts of it hit pretty close to home, so I cried.

Books generally don't make me cry.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition makes me cry every time.

Oprah makes me cry often enough that I prefer to watch Ellen.

Olympic moments make me cry.

Charlotte's Web (the old animated movie) makes me cry.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not generally a "crier" (once a year, like a physical) so some of these aren't recent:

Movie: Radio
Book: Say goodnight, Gracie
Song: None? (can't remember ever crying because of a song)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
As much as it goes against what I'd like to believe about myself, I have to admit: LOTS of things. [Razz]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Last Song: None, songs don't make me cry.

Movie: I haven't seen any sad movies recently. Monty Python and the Holy Grail made me cry because its so funny.

Book: Odd Thomas , I'm probably the only person in the whole world who cried because of this book (I haven't read Lost Boys).

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing was actually CT's landmark, while listening to Advertising on Police Cars by the Matthew Good Band.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I am responding to this thread...
Last song: Hold on by Good Charlotte
Last Movie: the Iron Giant, I have no idea why but that movie always gets me
Last Book: Ender's Game, this always gets me too, but I know why

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I cried was when I picked up the entry form for St Jude's Hospital Quilt of Dreams and read the dreams St Jude's kids listed.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two movies that always make me cry* multiple times. Forrest Gump and A League of Their Own. It's horrible! I even cry at the part where the one girl can't read so she doesn't know what team she's on, and the other girl goes over to help and tells her she's a Rockford Peach.

And then I don't cry at other normal stuff, like The Notebook.

*Meaning at least, tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I started watching my Firefly DVDs the other day, and I think that when I get to the last three episodes I might cry. I didn't the other times I've seen them, but I might this time just because I'm not at my best these days.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawshank Redemption makes me bawl if I watch it alone.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

But it has a super-mega-happy ending!
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ballad of the Wind Fish, I can't bare to hear that song without shedding a single tear.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It does--I think that's WHY I cry.

*spoiler alert*

When Red goes to the field, and finds the box with the letter from Andy, I'm done for. All that crap they went through, and it worked out, you know? I dunno. Maybe I'm a sucker for voiceovers done by Morgan Freeman.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the last time for me was at the end of SotG...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I had forgotten about that....I cried like a baby when that came out.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Last song that made me cry : Wicked ways (Chris Isaak)
Last movie that made me cry : Million Dollar Baby (Clint Eastwood)
Last book that made me cry : The last one of the Fool's series (Robin Hobb)
But actually, I cry all the time.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't cried in a long time, actually. I need to go and rent a tearjerker movie. Although, it's quite possible that I'm just selectively ignoring experiences.

Last Song: "I Would Change My Life" -- Nanci Griffith (I've listened to this song approximately 1 million times in my life. Time 1 million and 1 happened at such a time to make me tear up.)

Last Book: Either "The Hundred Dresses" or "Effective Treatments for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" (I don't know how my cats know it... one minute, I was reading the book for internship, the next minute I hadn't moved but was just staring fixedly at the page with tears coming out of my eyes. The next thing I know, Tara was in my lap, purring and licking at my tears. Amazingly sensitive cat.)

Last Movie: I honestly don't remember. I need to see more movies. I think "Friday Night Lights" made me tear up when the father put his ring on his son's hand at the end of the big game.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
Wicked ways (Chris Isaak)
Anna, I LOVE Chris Isaak. Wicked Game was awesome, Go Walkin' Down There is also another great song. [Smile]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Song: Effing Christmas shoes. Stupid glurgiest song ever. There was probably one inbetween there but I can't really remember.
Book: Harry Potter? Dunno.
Movie: I just watched the end of second season of Slayers (anime) on video this weekend, and it made me cry. Again. It always makes me cry.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hearing that Jimmy Buffett is cutting back on his summer tour....
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff that makes me cry?

Most Pixar movies, at some point. Monsters Inc. was particularly nasty about targeting young fathers. When skully has the picture in the end with the splinter from the door, well.... It's insidious, I tell you!

Recently: Grave of the Fireflies-- but I was more P-O'd than sad.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Tv Show: Firefly (teary-eyed)

Last Movie: Nobody Knows. (more than teary-eyed)

Last Book: David Copperfield, when Dora calls Agnes up to her room. [Frown]

Last Song: Hm. I don't often cry for songs.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out before I post this that I am a total sap. I really love sappy stuff.

Last Book: Harry Potter when Molly and Sirius were fighting over Harry.

Last Song: If I'm in the right mood I can get weepy over anything that's particularly beautiful. This last happened with Appalacian Spring. I turned it way up, closed my eyes and just sank into the music. "Is This" by Oingo Boingo can get me with the lyrics and memories attached to the song.

Last Movie/TV Show: "Once More With Feeling" Buffy makes my emotions run high anyway, but when you mix it with song, and the arc of that particular episode...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely cry over stuff, but...

Last song to make me cry: What A Wonderful World (It makes me cry every time, it's such a beautiful song!)

Last movie to make me cry: The Phantom of the Opera (I lasted until the end when he put the rose on her grave [Cry] )

Last book to make me cry: A Walk to Remember

[ May 03, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandpa just died last year, and sopmetimes it hits me funny.
Last song: Jack the Lion, Harvey danger
Last Movie: Big Fish

Last book: Order of the Pheonix. I cannot get through the book again.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Movie: Riding the Bus with my Sister [Cry]

Book: Tons of books.

Song: The Lily of the Valley

I cry a lot. [Smile]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
My grandpa just died last year, and sopmetimes it hits me funny.
Me too. Mine died earlier this year though. It hits me a lot, lately.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Movie: The Lion King. When Simba finds Mufasa dead, and doesn't realise what happened.

Book: A lot of books make me cry. The most recent: Probably the Railway Children.

Song: A few make me cry. Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton), always.

I cry a lot lately.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko and Desdemona, Tears in Heaven and The Christmas Shoes have to be the world's saddest songs, ever. Oh my God.

My husband and son ran into the grocery store one night, leaving me in the car alone (near Christmas) and when they came back out to the car, I was bawling like a baby because of that stupid Christmas Shoes song! And when Tears in Heaven first came out, I couldn't listen to the song without ending up sobbing like child. Maybe because his son's death was still so new, but I seem to have gotten over it. I can listen to it now without falling apart, but only if I don't pay much attention to it.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
This made me cry.. a lot.
A Separate Peace

Has anyone read this? [Cry]
[Cry]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Hotel Rwanda last night and was bawling like a big old girl
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Every single time, all the time. [Cry] It's just so happy!

Oh, and aside from that, I think the last time I cried was when I realized my friend with Alzheimer's was actually dying.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Book- Umm I reread a page of the first Betsy Tacy today, where a five year old explains that the other ones sister went to heavan, oh man that made cry.

The last movie I saw was Steel Magnolia's, so probably that.

Song, I think I cryed yesterday when Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles was on the radio, it makes me cry because most things that my old schools chior sang do, at least at their final concert.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last song to make me cry: What A Wonderful World (It makes me cry every time, it's such a beautiful song!)
I take that back, I haven't heard that song in a while.

The last time I cried over a song, was when a friend of mine played a goodbye song on the piano for the camp talent show. She played it in front of the entire camp, and sang so beautifully, and she dedicated it to our girl scout troop. Most of us are seniors, and that was our last camp-out together. [Frown] It was so sad, I bawled like a baby. [Cry]

[ May 03, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayato
Member # 6307

- posted      Profile for Ayato   Email Ayato         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, I cried at the end of both the Dune movie and the Dune miniseries...It was a very emotional ending for me. I also cried during the Neon Genesis Evangelion ending movie, Battle Royale, and Requiem for a Dream. As for books, I cried during the Amber Spyglass, Dreamer of Dune, and a couple others.

[ May 03, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Ayato ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Last song: Butterfly Kisses

Last Movie/TV show, since I've never cried in a movie: Sex in the City. Dead serious.

Last book: Hmm. Can't think of one, actually.

*Note: These two are the only times I've ever cried at something I heard, read, or saw. I'm a callous person, and it takes a moment when I'm stretched emotionally anyways.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I bawl whenever I see Big Fish. And I'm holding off on watching Hotel Rwanda until I'm not going to be interrupted by roommates.

The Movie That Makes Me Cry (And Hasn't Been Mentioned Yet): Elizabeth

Most Recent Movie: Finding Neverland
Most Recent Book: Yikes. Maybe SotG? Maybe the Iliad? Can't remember...
Most Recent Song: None, really, but the saddest song I've heard recently is "Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel," by BNL. Very very sad. [Frown]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Last movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Last book: SOTG
Last song: Someone to watch over me (everytime I hear the song I remember a comercial which had the song. The comercial was about a guy with full blown AIDS waiting for someone to bring him food. He sat sat there looking out the window. [Cry] Anyhow, I haven't seen the comercial in like 10 years, yet I can't forget it.)

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Surprisingly, I misted up during Good Will Hunting just now.
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly??!!!
That movie makes me bawl like a baby every time. When he breaks down... oh my. Cant handle it...

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think everything makes me cry.

HesterGray mentioned A League of Their Own. That one gets me every blessed time, starting when the girl who was raised by her dad leaves him to go play ball. I suppose that scene destroys me because I was very close to my dad, and one of the manifestations of that closeness was our shared love of baseball. And KarlEd mentioned Finding Neverland. I just finally saw that a couple of days ago, and I cried buckets.

Songs that make me cry: John Lennon's "Just Like Starting Over" does it to me every time, considering the circumstances.

TV shows: For some reason, The West Wing always makes me cry. Always. Even when it's an episode I've seen 10 times.

Stupidest thing that make me cry: Awards shows. Every time someone wins an award, I cry, idiot that I am.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
When he breaks down... oh my. Cant handle it...
That was exactly when it happened for me. But I almost never cry at movies.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Surprisingly, I misted up during Good Will Hunting just now.
It's not your fault.
quote:
That movie makes me bawl like a baby every time. When he breaks down... oh my. Cant handle it...
It's not your fault.
quote:
That was exactly when it happened for me. But I almost never cry at movies.
It's not your fault.

[ May 08, 2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Last song to make me cry was the opening music for Full Metal Alchemist... oh and the music from Wolf's Rain when the gates of Paradise are forced open!

Yah... ok I'm a blubbery anime geek...

Last book to make me cry was Blue Mars... when Sax and Ann get together.

Let see.. last movie to make me cry was when I watched Return of the King the other day and Gandy talks about the afterlife in Valinor...and of course when the High Elves leave.

[ May 08, 2005, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry for lots of reasons. I can't remember precisely the *last* time I cried over specific things, but I'll tell you what gets me every time:

Movie/TV: Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Every frickin time. Even the "How did they do that?" spin off on Mondays, even though I already know what happened because I watched the Actual Show the day before. I am a complete sap.

Song: The entire "O, Brother Where Art Thou?" album, because that is what I played when I drove my labrador to the airport to send her away to a rescue organization. She had bitten my three-year old (totally Christopher's fault, but he was three years old, and I couldn't send *him* away!) and it was a very emotional time. When "Angel Band" started and I heard "Take me away on your snow-white wings", I broke down completely. It still gets me sometimes.

Book: Lost Boys got me good, also "Deep End of the Ocean" (I was a new mom when I read that). I almost couldn't finish either of those.

Elementary school recitals make me cry. The little kids up there are working so hard at simply not peeing themselves and singing their little hearts out. It's so sweet. *sniffle* I'm so glad that I can sit to my friend Jill (her son is in my son's class) during these things, she cries too.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.