FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Making Chris Bridges famous.

Author Topic: Making Chris Bridges famous.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to Tony a few nights ago about Chris Bridges' latest column (at that time, the Hitchhiker's one).

We both agreed that the columns are much funnier than any that appear in our local (state) paper. So we decided we should get Chris Bridges syndicated. (A natural progression of the conversation).

Chris, I want your columns in the West Australian!

Besides, if I do and your career takes off I can say "I knew him back when..."
Or at least "I read his intial columns and posted on the same web forum as him back when..."

But I don't think it should stop there. Hatrackers, unite! Let's make Chris the new uber-columnist. Let's not rest until he is published coast to coast, hemisphere to hemisphere and Antartic to Arctic.

I'm sure he won't mind.

Right, Chris?

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When my local paper ran a contest to replace Dave Barry and their two finalists both blew major chunks, I wrote in and suggested that the Features editor contact Chris instead.

I don't think he ever did -- but neither of the two finalists got columns, either. They're just re-running old Dave Barry stuff. *laugh*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a great idea! I love reading Chris's stuff.

My home newspaper used to run a column by the local Craig Williams. Craig is hilarious and I emailed him sometimes to tell him how funny he is. He always nicely wrote back. However, due to some problems between his editor and him, Craig resigned from the job. I was very sad.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
(basking in the warm glow)

Steps are afoot to clear my way for syndication, which just means I'll be able to offer it. Getting someone to pick it up will be the next hurdle. In the meantime I've verified that I can be reprinted elsewhere, under certain restrictions. One weekly newspaper contacted me about it and I passed that along to show that interest was there. I'll let you know (euphemism for "shout it all over the place") if that happens.

Not that nudging your local papers would hurt, of course [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, what would we do, Chris? Send an e-mail to our local papers with a link to your column?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What a fantastic idea! I hope this works out!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't hurt.

Well, I suppose an editor coud become so excited at the prospect that he or she might suffer a pulmonary embolism, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

[ May 04, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking Chris needs to check his email.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That was you? Shoulda used the Secret Hatrack Code Words. I was about to compose my response. Hang on...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris! I've got it! Start your own newspaper or magazine and distribute it everywhere. ITS BRILLIANT!!!!!!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Wait, are we talking famous as in "popular writer, gets his calls answered in Hollywood," or famous as in "tragedy occurred today as 57 Federal Marshals were forced to yadda yadda yadda"?

I might want to rethink this.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"popular writer, gets his calls answered in Hollywood,"
I'm not sure what this means. But I'm pretty sure they meant Dave Barry famous. Famous for writing humorous columns. Maybe even OSC famous. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was thinking more along the lines of "popular writer, gets his calls answered in Hollywood".

Maybe you can have the Feds after a number of decades being the first sort of famous.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.