FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And then you meet the perfect woman (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And then you meet the perfect woman
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Or at leastone who, upon being asked what her hobbies are, lists video games...actually, I think that was the first thing she mentioned. I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, but a gorgeous girl who likes video games, reading, is a (get this) Mechanical Engineering major, and can dance is going to go pretty high on my list...really fast.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever dated a woman that you didn't immediately fall in love with?

Doesn't that sound desperate?

Would you want to go out on more than one date with a desperate person?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

What about the last girl you started a thread about? The one going home for the summer but would be back in the fall?

-Trevor

Edit: You remember, the one you were so stoked when she maybe, tenatively agreed to a second date?

[ May 05, 2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who has the same, ah, issues with dating. I have advised him that he needs to know and love himself before he starts looking for someone else to love, and that not every girl he dates will be the love of his life. I don't know whether that advice pertains to you, but you might want to think about it.

I don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. I told my friend that because I love him like a brother, and want the best for him.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock.
-John Barrymore

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clincher
Member # 7395

- posted      Profile for Clincher           Edit/Delete Post 
Sour Patch Kids hurts the roof of the mouth [Frown]

[ May 05, 2005, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Clincher ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Have you ever dated a woman that you didn't immediately fall in love with?
Yes. I'm not in love. I just think it's really cool that I've met a girl who's interested in a lot of the things I am. There aren't many gaming girls out here.

quote:
What about the last girl you started a thread about? The one going home for the summer but would be back in the fall?
I have her email. I've been trying to keep in touch. She hasn't emailed me back yet.

quote:
I have a friend who has the same, ah, issues with dating. I have advised him that he needs to know and love himself before he starts looking for someone else to love, and that not every girl he dates will be the love of his life. I don't know whether that advice pertains to you, but you might want to think about it.
I know. I'm learning that now. I don't expect much out of this. In fact, I'll probably never even see her again. The real triumph is the fact that I was able to introduce myself to a complete stranger and have a 30 minute conversation with her without feeling like a dork. Sorry if my first post sounded like I'm a love-sick puppy (Even though I am). To be honest, I've realized (since getting "stoked" about the second date with the one girl) that I need to get to know people and have friends before I can even start thinking about having a girlfriend. If things develop, great. If not, I have friends. Win-win situation. No really. Something just clicked on in my head about a month ago and I'm starting to realize the fact that there are actually a lot of girls who like me, and I'm just learning how to deal with that now [Smile]

edit: Clarification. Not a lot of girls here interested in gaming AND dancing.

[ May 05, 2005, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I think this was more a thread about: "Holy cow a girl who games!!" (a rare breed that one) than "I'm in love with someone".

[Wink]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Yeah, what Alcon said [Razz]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Boys. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] I read it the same way as the boys.

Boris, there are geek girls in the world, plenty of them. If you're a geek boy, you just need to find yourself a geek girl. [Big Grin] When you're ready, that is.

I'm a geek princess married to a geek prince. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
Girl gamers are out there [Cool]
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Boris, there are geek girls in the world, plenty of them.
Yeah. Just not in Rexburg, Idaho [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, I hear you on that score. I had to move halfway around the world to get mine. I hope yours is easier to find. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
*is a girl gamer*

[Cool]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
I DO know a girl gamer in Idaho (not Rexburg), but she's taken [Wink]
Where is the nearest big convention center?
Gaming conventions are fun, whether or not you are looking to hook up with someone [Wink]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The real triumph is the fact that I was able to introduce myself to a complete stranger and have a 30 minute conversation with her without feeling like a dork.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Well done! Now you know that there was nothing to be afraid of. [Cool]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'd go that far... [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
<--girl gamer [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hehe, I think this was more a thread about: "Holy cow a girl who games!!" (a rare breed that one) than "I'm in love with someone"."

Ditto.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am apparently that chick.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska is another place lacking in geek girls, by the way. I've known a handful, but they always get snatched up by other geek guys before I meet them. [Grumble]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
<- Girl gamer since Pong.

But still, we're really pretty rare.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else been reading Dilbert this week?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have, but we haven't seen that she's a gamer. She's just a hot geek chick. [Razz]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*is also a girl gamer*

I actually used to work in a gaming store. [Big Grin] ( The coolest job ever!)
I got hit on by a lot of geeks.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Take it easy, Boris. Be coooooool. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, according to Neilsen, 39% of gamers are female.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Alaska is another place lacking in geek girls, by the way. "

Actually, I think Alaska is just lacking in girls.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Technically, Alaska is lacking in people.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technically, Alaska is lacking in people.
What exactly are you implying? Think carefully before you answer.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

I figured it had to do with how Freaking Huge Alaska is and the comparison of the population being dwarfed by the size of the state.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Maybe I should have included a [Wink] in there. I meant it to sound menacing, but only joke-menacing.

At any rate, while our population density is very low thanks to our enormous land area, keep in mind I live in Anchorage. It has over 300,000 people, which for me, is too many.

And yet, not one of those 300,000 is an attractive, interesting, single female. Plenty of our females have any two of those qualities, but none seem to have all three.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have a friend who always refers to women as females. I don't know why, but for some reason it always irked me -- not that I ever mentioned it. Your post made me think of it, Verily.

Anyway, the population of Nunavut is a mere 0.014 people per square kilometer. Which I always found kind of funny. Alaska's packed in comparison! Heck, the population of their capital, Iqaluit, is a paltry 6000.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*considers pointing out that there's no such thing as the perfect woman, or perfect man, just to be contrary*

*decides she's too tired to get into that argument, and goes to bed instead*

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
You know, I have a friend who always refers to women as females. I don't know why, but for some reason it always irked me -- not that I ever mentioned it. Your post made me think of it, Verily.
It keeps me from saying "girls". Most women hate that nowadays.

Why not just say "women" every time? I don't know. A false sense of variety, maybe.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Plenty of our females have any two of those qualities, but none seem to have all three.
In a city of 300,000, I'm willing to bet that this is in fact not true. The trick is meeting them. [Smile]

quote:
It keeps me from saying "girls". Most women hate that nowadays.

Do they? Uh-oh. I use "girls" preferentially.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
In a city of 300,000, I'm willing to bet that this is in fact not true. The trick is meeting them.
Keep in mind where the city is. Women are outnumbered here. Any woman who is attractive and interesting is not going to be single for long. There are always plenty of men to go around, so women pretty much get to take their pick here. Which means that by the time I meet them, they've long since claimed another man for themselves.

quote:
Do they? Uh-oh. I use "girls" preferentially.
So do I. I don't mean it to be degrading--and I think a lot of them think it is degrading. I just like the sound of the word. But I can understand the objection. At my age, if someone kept referring to me as a "boy", I'd start to get irritated. But at least we have the word "guy" to fall back on.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's supposed to be womyn, but I can't figure out how to pronounce that [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Oh, please don't get me started on politically-correct misspellings. [Angst]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

That's mysspellings.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine with girls, but I don't like being called a lady. I could give you reasons and pretend it's rational and all that, but really, I wouldn't even be kidding myself. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yes, I know, Alaska and all of that, but your attitude is self-defeating! In my experience there are awesome women everywhere. Even when I was living in the middle of nowhere in rural Newfoundland I knew a few. I wasn't interested in dating at that stage, but there were available women around.

If there was hope for me then, there is hope for you now. [Smile]

And aren't we the same age? 24. Yeah. The situation where I live now is similar -- 80,000 people, industrial town -- but there are women around. They exist. Some of them are probably even awesome. I'm not looking, but I bet they're there.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
As a 24 year old female, I actually don't like "woman." as in, "you are a beautiful woman." or "I took this woman on a date last weekend" it's too... formal sounding. Boyfriend calls me his girlie, which is fine by me.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
I'm fine with girls, but I don't like being called a lady.
Specifically, or in general? In other words, do you object to one, two, or all three of these usages:

1) Hey lady, could you move your car?

2) This lady over here might know what you're talking about.

3) Ladies of Hatrack, I need some advice!

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE "woman." I'd prefer the awful "chick" to that word. Then again, I barely qualify as "woman," but people seem to want to use it anyway. It sounds like something people would say just to be politically correct or when trying to be flattering... but I think it just comes off as, well, creepy.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I'm in a real bind. I hate the word womyn - I just start thinking of butchy lesbian man-haters, not that there's anything wrong with that. But I don't like being called a girl, a lady, or a woman, either. And no, it's not rational, and yes, I fully admit that. So what's left? Female.

So clinicla.

Ugh. [Wall Bash]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

[Roll Eyes]

Well, there's "chick", "broad", "bird", "dame", or "skirt". Those aren't clinical.

twinky
Member # 693

What about chick, skirt, babe...?

Edit: Beaten!

[ May 06, 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah. But I don't like them either. [Roll Eyes]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.