FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Attempt to Improve - PLEASE Enter! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Attempt to Improve - PLEASE Enter!
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It would not be right for me to complain about "all sorts of weird freudianism in the born gay culture". I think that would be interpretted as a slam by most forum members, whether gay, straight or in between.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Halachic means having to do with Jewish Law (halacha).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Orthodox Jews pray. I conduct the services myself. But does that necessarily mean I have to love or believe in God the way I was taught when weened?

quote:
I don't know what Halachic means, but this sounds disrespectful
Halachic (or Halakhic, or whatever) means to do with the Jewish Halacha, or law. What I meant to say is that certain remains of ancient laws and little bits of the past are still being performed without anyone questioning the need for possibly corecting them. The general stream of Orthodoxy prays the same way they did hundreds of years ago - which is fine. But when no acknowledgment is implemented in the main stream regarding possible refreshing of the law - and I'm not talking about a way that starts thrashing the fundamental base of judaism - I believe it is wong.

Again, it's just my belief.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You are wrong when you say no one questions why certain things are still done. I can suggest some blogs, if you like.

However, the fact remains that we lack a means to change established halacha until such time as a real Sanhedrin is established.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
They are questioned, but not in 'regular' Orthodoxy - other types of Orthodoxy do question...

And the Sanhedrin will not be established in Jerusalem the way politics are hanging about now...

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*amused* Plenty of "regular" Orthodoxy questions them.

I doubt a legitimate Sanhedrin can be implemented before Moshiach comes.

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only the beginning of the second page about Joanathan's confession and we've got a religious debate already.

*rubs hands together*
*takes the popcorn out of the microwave*
*waits nervously to see where this will lead to*

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Let's not get deeper into religion - as you know it's never going to end. I 'believe' in religion psychologically, not theologically. And I don't want to make this a Jewish debate thread.

In any case:
quote:
Why do you try to kill this thread?
See? People say I'm killing the BtQ thread!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jonathon, I was an insufferably arrogant twit till I was older than you, when I finally grew out of it.
Wait-- you grew out of it? [Wink] [Taunt]

quote:
Hmm, I think I finally figured out what your "Freudian" joke was. If it's what I think it was (banter with kq in the Rebbetzin thread?), you need to learn the difference between "Freudian" and just plain vulgar.
Is that what he was talking about? It was vulgar, but it's not why I "left". Actually, I just had nothing to contribute at the moment, so while I kept reading, I didn't post. That's all.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
you need to learn the difference between "Freudian" and just plain vulgar.
I thought Freud was just plain vulgar.
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, in asking your question, you have begun to write your own answer.

The fact that you want to improve, and the fact that you have some remorse for the way you came across shows something very important in your development--maturity!

You are starting to think of how your actions affect others, rather than just care about how you feel.

You are making correct decisions. Your thread was one of them.

Take what you have already learned along with the counsel provided and continue your journey.

You are a masterpiece in the making.

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
15 more registrations to member #8000. I think I'll start a thread [Evil Laugh]

quote:
I thought Freud was just plain vulgar.
See, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkRiku
Member # 7979

- posted      Profile for DarkRiku   Email DarkRiku         Edit/Delete Post 
i am also sarcastic, arrogant, and rude. i have no qualms about makeing people feel stupid if they really are. i dont see the problem with that.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkRiku
Member # 7979

[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"i dont see the problem with that."

I bet you're really popular.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bites tongue*
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Helps rivka bite tongue.*

Whom are you biting it for?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the images going through my head now. Ick!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkRiku:
i am also sarcastic, arrogant, and rude. i have no qualms about makeing people feel stupid if they really are. i dont see the problem with that.

I see arrogance with little evidence of competence so often it's "makeing" me giggle.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

No wonder you called yourself: "quid scribbis?"

I meant it in the metaphorical way. For God's sake! Don't Jebuside202 yourself!

Morbo
Member # 5309

"Yeah, the images going through my head now. Ick!"

Why are you dragging Icarus into this sordid affair? [Wink]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
*Helps rivka bite tongue.*

Ewwww! I can do it myself, thanks! *shudder*
Beanny
Member # 7109

Hehe
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Sorry about teasing you in BtQ, Jon. "Wasting" threads just fit well. I'll stop now.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But... Why?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are all nuts.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, what I do is reread my posts and edit out any offensive parts that add nothing to the post. If someone is offended by my opinion, screw 'em, but if someone is offended by the way I express it, I try to reword it. (Yes, this may sound strange coming from me. Trust me, I could be much worse. Nor am I anywhere close to perfect at it, but I do try.) Also, do your best to ignore any personal insults directed toward you, with the exception of correcting factual errors. Err on the side of ignoring ambiguous insults. (For example, in my case I may disagree with being called an addict, but I would not waste my time arguing. Being called a child molestor would be grounds for argument.)

Figure out the character traits you and others admire about CT, TomDavidson, rivka, etc. Emulate those traits with becoming a shadow of any of them. None of them are perfect, either. Make a list of any negative traits you see in them (or anyone else, here or IRL), and look within your own personality to see which are reflected within you, and take steps to rectify them. Genuine requests for aid are fine, but do not post just to say you have improved this aspect of you personality. And as you give, so you receive. If you can offer advice or even support for others, they will be more inclined to reciprocate.

Post about significant events in your life, and respond to others with genuine concern when they do the same. And realize that not everyone can reply to every post. I respond with posts of support far more rarely than I read threads asking for it - not because I have any higher regard for the ones I do respond to, but because there are just too many to keep track of, much less think of a non-canned response.

quote:
i have no qualms about makeing people feel stupid if they really are. i dont see the problem with that.
Correcting errors is one thing, but intentionally denigrating others for no good reason is neither admirable nor a wise use of time. And to be slightly hypocritical, "I" is always capitalized, as are the first letters of sentences. 'Making' has no "e" and "don't" has an apostrophe. In an attempt at mind-reading, I eagerly anticipate your excuse that this is but a message board where your thoughts are too urgent for subjection to basic proofreading.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm the nutsiest, Raia.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

After me, sure, JH. [Big Grin]
Beanny
Member # 7109

If you guys are nuts, I'm the squirrel. Beware!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Angst]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
No wonder you called yourself: "quid scribbis?"

I meant it in the metaphorical way. For God's sake! Don't Jebuside202 yourself!

JH, I've got to say, considering this is a thread where you are asking for help in how you come across to others, this is a really weird post.

You come across, to me, as being defensive and insulting, and yelling and swearing at quids, for what seemed to me a natural (and funny) reaction to your earlier post. I'm sure you meant it to be a joke, but I think this is the kind of joke that doesn't come across well in this format. This is the kind of thing I would recommend re-reading before posting, and seeing if it's going to come across the way you want it to without the help of facial and vocal cues.

</my 2 cents>

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Whereas I just didn't understand it. Still don't. But perhaps that's just years and years of training myself to ignore and deliberately not understand certain types of swears/jokes/phrases. [Dont Know]
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*comes in late*

On the subject of over-eagerness and trying too hard:

Reminds me of my 5-yr-old son's behavior the past couple of days. I laughed at something funny his lil' sis said. It was clever, original, and spontaneous. So, then he tried desperately to be funny for at least an hour afterward, often asking afterwards, "Was that funny, Mom?". He just wanted so badly to elicit the same response from me. He's been doing it this morning too.

I finally told him that trying to be funny is usually not funny. Thankfully, he has stopped. For now.

This is the puppy-eagerness trait. It comes with being young and inexperienced. You'll grow out of it eventually. How quickly you do is up to you. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkRiku
Member # 7979

I was an idiot to say that and i know it.It was sorta like what that person said about their son I was just looking for attention.It was just not the right kind of attention. [Blushing] It won't happen again.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It's been enough of what's been said about my metaphorical response to rivka's metaphorical expression "bites tongue". The last thing I need is more of that redundant literalisation that has already been stated before.

You were acting like jebus202 when I oded Raia.

Seriously!

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if you're going to get all nasty and be rude to people when they make a harmless little joke, I think there's a lot more you need to re-evaluate than just whether or not you might seem a little arrogant. The way I see it, you made a comment that unintentionally sounded funny, which quid then used to make a little humor. Then you got pissy and compared her to a troll. Now is one of those times you should step back, take a good look at your own posts, and ask yourself, "Was it necessary to say that, or am I just being a whiny little brat?" You say you desparately want to change, but from where I sit, you're still hitting that reply button before your brain's had time to think.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And then when someone calls you on it, you try to dismiss them by saying there's enough said.

I keep telling myself I'm not going to come back into this thread, 'cause you obviously don't mean it when you say you care about how you come across and want people's opinions. Not that I really expect you to, I think the whole 15-year-old-center-of-the-universe thing has been pretty well explained, and you have no real option except to grow out of it. Good luck with that.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.