FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's a time limit for editing now? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's a time limit for editing now?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly? Moi? Hah! It is to laugh!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are you against post editing (assuming a time-stamped edit message)?
I'm not vehemently it -- not so much so that I'd protest vehemently if it returned -- but I'm quite happy to do without it. This forum moves fast enough that by the time an edit is made there are frequently more posts. That's why I typically don't edit content into the middle of a post, but rather append it. Still, that doesn't solve the problem, it only lessens the extent of the problem.

Basically, I think it's a mostly unnecessary ability that as a side effect makes discussions more confusing.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I was going to post an [ROFL] after your comment in PC's thread, but then I realized it would be a new page and no one would get without going back to the prior page if they even cared. But I just thought you'd like to know, this [ROFL] is for you.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
Weird, I could edit my post but now it has an edit tag. Maybe Pop fixed it. Jon Boy, was there always a button to automatically quote someone? That is the only thing I have ever commented on.

I was referring to Scottneb's post near the beginning of the thread. It seemed like he was wondering if you could quote a quote, and I was kind of confused as to why he would wonder if we could do something that we've been able to do for at least a year or so.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't fine the reply with quote button.
[Frown]

I feel rather dumb.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
I can't fine the reply with quote button.
[Frown]

I feel rather dumb.

Found it.

[Blushing]

I had to get up at four to drop Tony at the airport. That's my excuse.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so what is the time limit???

29minutes and counting

[ May 10, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And 3hours exceeds the allowed editing time.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But 1 hour 21 minutes does not. At a guess, 90 minutes? or maybe 120?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

93 minutes is too long.

So it seems to be 90 minutes.

And I think the edit tags kick in after 15 minutes. [addit: nope, 10]

[ May 11, 2005, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- doesn't like change
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, OCD is alive and well at Hatcrack.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Was that directed at me or Porter?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This is horrifying. [Frown] I hate not being able to edit.

On the other hand, most of my edits are done immediately after I write it, so maybe 90 minutes is okay.

Maybe. [Frown] I don't like this. *uncomfortable*

Added (ha!): I can still edit posts made before The Change.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

kat, that sums up my feelings on the matter precisely.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
GreNME used to have the time limit, and I'm pretty sure it was way under 90 minutes.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

kat, last night one could NOT edit posts from before (*amused*) The Change. The limit has been lifted. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what I'd like is a ten-minute edit window, all edits labelled, no editing or deletion permitted outside the window except by moderators. Then the mod gets requests to change thread titles every so often, but that's okay.

Of course, it's all academic. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, rivka, it was directed at you. *runs and hides*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I thought it might be. But the thing is, if I have much in the way of OCD tendencies, shouldn't my house be cleaner and more organized? >_<
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.