FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bottled Holy Water

Author Topic: Bottled Holy Water
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana and I were recently shown, by a fellow hatracker, a site advertising the sale of Holy Bottled Water. The three of us thaught it might have been mentioned already here, but i couldn't find it, so I'm starting a thread for it.

I especially liked the Frequently asked queastions. I'm just waiting for them to combine this with the Dante's inferno quiz to determine how many bottles you need to drink. [Razz]

So, anyone else feeling thirsty?

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
If you buy two cases, you get a free bottle of "wash your sins away" hand soap! It's proven effective against all seven deadly sins.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

except maybe gluttony, i mean with buying all that water.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, they sell those all over the place here. Water from the Jordan River.

My favorites are the bottled Middle Eastern air, and the bottled Egyptian darkness, which I've seen on sale in select places in Israel. [Razz]

(Not kidding)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Actually, I know you can buy a set: a small bottle of holy water, a bottle of holy air, and a bottle of holy dirt.

The darkness comes separately, I guess.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

how do you bottle darkness?
Raia
Member # 4700

I'm not sure... but I've seen them sell dark bottles labelled "Darkness from Egypt" so they must have some way of doing that. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*amused* Bottling holiness you don't question, but bottling darkness seems problematic?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Maybe you buy it, and then throw it into the Nile to get rid of the plague once and for all? [Wink]
Grisha
Member # 6871

well ofcourse, i have seen the hand cleanser myself, and would such a cheerful nun lie to you?
Grisha
Member # 6871

Also I am Catholic, where whine becomes the blood of God, I have seen holiness bottled for years.

Really the holiness that is part of any number of tangible objects seems to be a large part of the Catholic faith, and other faiths as well I'm sure.

Raia
Member # 4700

I think the bottled holiness in this country is targeted mainly towards tourists (mostly Americans), but I guess it could target on a religious basis as well.
rivka
Member # 4859

Raia, if it's targeting anyone other than tourists, then someone is selling snake oil.

In bottles. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's quite easy to make your own Holy Water (if you are Pagan). Put a bit of salt in a bowl, and mix it with water. Leave the water out in the night sometime under a full moon, to make Moon Water. Leave it out in the sun, to make Sun Water. Leave it out under a rainbow to make the most magical water of all! Oh, and it helps to put nice-smelling essential oils in it.

Then you put it in a spray bottle and spritz it where needed. Good for cleansing, banishing evil, and generally lifting your spirits!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, we SOOOOOOOO have to have lunch sometime! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, and bottling darkness is pretty easy, too. All you need is a well stoppered opaque bottle. Go into a dark room, open the bottle, it will fill with darkness. Recap the bottle and the darkness will remain inside until the cap is removed.

You have to take all this on faith, though, because if you remove the cap to check the contents, the darkness will evaporate immediately.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shakes head* It doesn't evaporate, exactly. But Me'at or docheh harbeh choshech -- "a little bit of light pushes away much darkness." Darkness flees light.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if a bottle of Darkness could be as effective, in an opposite fashion, as Galadriel's bottled starlight in LOTR.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Of course I was using "evaporate" in a poetic sense. [Wink]
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there has to be more to bottling darkness then that [Razz]

I mean, if it was that easy, why aren't we all Bottled Darkness vendors?

I wonder how much you can get per bottle..

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Even if there is one born every minute, there is still a finite number of suckers. And there are so many ventures to be suckered into I'm sure the pool of Bottled Darkness purchasers is fairly small.

Also, the pool of purchasers of "Bottled Darkness of Detroit" is probably even smaller.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
That site reminds me of a time several years ago when I walked into my little sister's room and saw her and her friend sprinkling water on their beanie babies. I asked what they were doing, and they said they were baptizing them with Holy Water. [ROFL]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<sniffs> I hardly think it's respectful of those of us who believe in the baptism of beanie babies (after they reach the age of accountability, of course) to roll on the floor laughing about it. I suppose you let your beanie babies die all unshriven? That's so sad!

And how sad, too, for all beanies that they can only be sprinkled! But what can we do? The manufacturer's tag forbids immersion!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! [ROFL]

That's awesome Tatiana! And I stand by my irreverent mockery of the Holy Beanie Baby faith. [Taunt]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to check to see if you really have bought bottled Darkness, you need only go in a totally dark room to check. However, if it's Egyptian Darkness, be warned that some mixing may occur between the domestic and imported Darkness.

quote:
Also I am Catholic, where whine becomes the blood of God,
[Laugh] Why is my daughter not covered in blood?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw this on Buffy one season. You need a good deal of holy water in her line of work.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some mixing may occur between the domestic and imported Darkness.
That can't be good!

I wonder what the customs people think of importing darkness? Is it tax and duty free?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.