FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help on Star Wars Books (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help on Star Wars Books
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tom, I didn't even think of that -- that's really why I hated the NJO. The Yuuzhan Vong are just...ugh. One thing that *makes* something gritty and real is an accessible, almost human enemy -- like OSC makes the buggers in the end, and like the adults in Ender's Game are all along -- so we can actually *understand* what makes them evil. The Yuuzhan Vong are totally inacessible, and almost invicible, and totally unconvincing, imo.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on which NJO books you read, Kasie. I don't remember the names, because frankly several of them were so mediocre I never read all of them...but some of them did a good job, I think, of making the YV accessible. The one where the Caamassi (sp?) permits himself to be taken prisoner, for example? I also enjoyed Traitor a great deal. Seemed to me that it took Jedi in a very Eastern direction, which is honestly the first time I'd seen much of that in SW books.

I think the YV are sort of like Aztecs, people absolutely thriving on blood and slaughter and torture. There have been those sorts of humans...but it's been awhile, I think, and fortunately we can't really empathize with `em.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, as well. But I have to respond to this:

quote:
Tell that to Qui-gon Jinn, or Anakin and Padme at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

NOTE: ALTHOUGH SEVERAL OF THEM HAVE ALREADY BEEN MENTIONED, MAJOR NJO SPOILERS BELOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Qui-Gon was not a core character to me. Besides, his death was understandable and expected within the framework of the (otherwise pretty dumb) movie. Anakin eventually is okay in the end-- okay means here that his death has a purpose and a resolution to it. Padme, well, if she dies in this movie, which she probably will, Lucas is contradicting ROTJ, and will, I think, alienate a lot more fans than me (although I still have hopes for Sith). But then, he did that with Jar-Jar to begin with. [Razz] But hopefully, at least, her death will have a meaning within the movie. The big problem I had with Chewie's death is that although he was dying for a cause that we could understand (he does have a life debt, and it's well-established that he considers that to extend to Leia and the kids), it was a stupid reason for him to need to die. So, everything is not all right. And then, Anakin dies anyway! So, um, it was pointless? (Okay, honestly, I didn't read much past Anakin dying and Jaina turning dark.) It just got to be too much; why don't you keep the "darkness" where it belongs, with the enemy, and maybe some internal governmental strife, and I liked the political stuff, but frankly, making the fate of the universe hang on the the decision of Jacen, whom I never really particularly cared about... Stupid, stupid, stupid! That whole "balance to the Force" thing was supposed to be resolved! Leave it alone already! I could have gone for Anakin turning dark, but Jaina, not really, and Jacen doing weird crap, definitely not. [Roll Eyes] Then there's the whole "Luke's baby heals his mother in-utero" thing, which, honestly, seems like exploitation to me... And if not that, then just trite and stupid. (I seem to be using that word a lot. Huh. Maybe because it's just all so stupid!) Oh, and what happened to the Chiss? That wasn't really explained very well.

Honestly, my purpose in reading Star Wars novels is not to get mad at the universe. (That universe, or this one.) Since that's what was happening every time I read the NJO, I stopped, and decided to delete them from my personal canon list. Hmph.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, Skywalker Jedi are more or less expected to go seriously dark, KQ [Wink] And I liked the 'weird crap' Jacen did [Razz]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the Galaxy of Fear series?

And does the next Zahn book not come out until later this summer?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Galaxy of Fear
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there someplace I can find a timeline on the extended universe books? I have a bunch of them and don't know where they fit together in terms of a mass read, plus I'd like to fill in the holes if I can.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

TFN's Ultimate Timeline
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
That timeline works well if you want to know how every single little piece of EU ever released fits into the continuity, but TFN's Novel Review Timeline works better if you only want to know how the novels fit together.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kq and Ginol!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the final book in the NJO ("The Unifying Force") helped to humanize the Vong to some extent. But I guess those that hated the series didn't get that far...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You do remember how offensive it is to them to be called "the Vong" without including "Yuuzhan" don't you?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Crap! There's not one around here, is there? [Angst]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Only Tahiri ever really argued the point on that one, the difference between Vong and Yuuzhan Vong.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lyr, you obviously didn't ever spend much time on TFN's JC forums...
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this thread has successfully convinced me to never pick up a Star Wars book. Thanks for the warnings one and all. Sounds like the lot of it is just barely above the level of fanfic- which I despise with unending passion.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Way to go everyone. Now he'll miss out on all the good stuff along with the bad...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Neo, if that's what he came away with, then (a) his mind was already made up anyway, (b) he listened to only a very few people who posted, and/or (c) he only wants to read a book if everyone agrees it's good. Realizing that Hatrack has never agreed on anything, (c) is essentially the same thing as (a). No need to blame people who posted in the thread.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose is right, of course. This thread just solidified my preconcieved notions on any works derivative of major motion pictures- especially sci-fi.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

At least pick up the Zahn Books. If those don't hook you, then nothing will.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

You're right, Papa. I didn't mean to blame people for posting their opinions.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nah, if he's at least going to pick up something, let it be the Stackpole X-Wing books.

Oh, wait, am I at it again? [Razz]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if I had to point to any of the books that I've read that have a Star Wars label, I'd have to say Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy would be the only ones that would bear a true mark of quality.

I mean, there's so much going on and such great development of character and plot, that they make the movies seem very superficial by comparison. I don't think of them as derivative works at all, but more a realization of the potential of the Star Wars universe.

The other books I've read ride on a lot of coattails, falling off as often as not and scrambling to catch up. Zahn set the bar very high, and I don't feel anyone has yet come close to clearing it.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, but he did that "Luuuuuuke" thing. [Roll Eyes]

(Yes, that was pretty much my only problem with the books. But I had to pick on something! [Taunt] [Wink] )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, wait-- I had another problem with them:

they didn't have Corran Horn! [Cry] [ROFL]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I didn't have a problem with that. And even so, when put next to Thrawn himself, Rukh (and the other Noghri), Mara Jade, Winter, and the whole host of other awesome additions to the universe, it more than makes up for a name choice.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(But not for the lack of Corran's sexy self.)
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Please read the first Zahn trilogy. At least give it a shot.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.