FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cud (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cud
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruminating on the potential rules/expected-forms of a post-yer-own absurdist follow-on narrative...

Well, it's absurdist, right? So, rules don't really apply.

The first rule of Cud is: If you need a literal explanation and a set of rules, you probably shouldn't contribute.

Howsa 'bout an opening character, them, or situ?

my suggestion: "The Open Road"

alluvial

PS. The Wenches' Tavern had waaaay too many spiders.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
More mooing was heard today.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

and so it began!
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The old man lived in the hut at the end of the road. He had been there for many years. His wife had long ago died, his children grown and left. He was alone with the cow.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But not for long.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's never that simple, is it? Oh, no, for Fate had far more in store for him, and especially for the cow.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

*spikes cow through noggin, and delivers tastiest patties to would-be authors*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But never fear, dear readers, because there are more cows coming. For in this land, cows roam freely, grazing where they may.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They graze the grass though 'tis not green;
They graze in streets, though th'are not clean.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

The Chocolate Brown Holstein

They seek him here,
They seek him there.
Those cowhands seek him everywhere.
Is he chewing grass?
Or is he seeking garbage?
That demned elusive Brown Holstein.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Are your cows purple over there?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope, brown. Just like the chocolate brown indicates. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When brown is purple, sleep will not come. [/pseudo-Zen mumbo-jumbo]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Spider!
He is our hero!
Spider!
Must get ride of!
Spider!
We love you Spider!
Spider!
Must step on!

Uunnnnnnh...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A ride-on spider? *cocks eyebrow* *shudders*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The spider shrugged off its saddle and began to spin a web, hoping to catch the next cow to come wandering down the road.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, he spun his web in a sheep pasture and all he caught were sheep. He hated eating sheep. Eating sheep was like sucking your dinner through a cotton ball.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The spider could see the sheep were suffering, bound by his webs, but being an evil spider, he saw no point in releasing them. Instead, he pushed them over a cliff.
KarlEd
Member # 571

But as the web-bound sheep fell, they caught on the branch of a large tree growing on an outcropping on the side of the cliff, much to the surprise of a young man walking along the road at the bottom of the cliff, who alerted by much overhead bleating was much surprised to look up and see what was essentially a sack of sheep hanging from a tree limb on the side of the cliff.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The young man, who lived in a remote village, believed the sheep were magic. He cut them down from the tree and herded them to his home.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Arriving at home, the young man called out "Grandmother! Grandmother! Come see what I have brought!"

Upon seeing the sheep the grandmother exclaimed, "You stupid, STUPID boy! I send you out to buy magic beans and what do you bring back? SHEEP!"

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The young man shook his head. "No, I got the beans, too. These sheep were free." And he handed her the small bag of beans, along with the change.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rani Sambol Oelik
Member # 8020

- posted      Profile for Rani Sambol Oelik   Email Rani Sambol Oelik         Edit/Delete Post 
His grandmother grabbed the bag of beans from his filty hands. She quickly opened the bag, shrugged, and said, "Ah, but I'm starving, so we'll have to eat them instead. Into the stew they go!"
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

"Wait!" the young man cried. "The sheep are magic too. Let's feed the magic beans to the magic sheep and see what happens."
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
More was at motion than the Grandmother and the young man knew. For, as you see, magic beans and magic sheep are each a rare entity. The combination of the both would result in something truly spectacular.

But the choice now lay before the Grandmother. Would she listen to the young man and let the sheep consume her magic beans? Or, in her hungry state, would her stomach be the final resting place for the sheep?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Or would she add some Rogan Josh to the mix to flavor her stew? Piquant, with a tad of lime. Grandmaw's mouth was watering already at the thought.
Rogan Josh
Member # 8024

- posted      Profile for Rogan Josh   Email Rogan Josh         Edit/Delete Post 
Unforunately, she hadn't any rice left, and what is Rogan Josh without a good rice ? So she let the sheep eat the magic beans.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

But we all know that sheep is really good as a Rogan Josh, so she was merely intent on fattening up her sheep before it became stew.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Because grandma had pappadums and naan and parotha in her freezer, and that would go with Rogan Josh even better than rice.
Rogan Josh
Member # 8024

- posted      Profile for Rogan Josh   Email Rogan Josh         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be cheese naan ?
*drools*

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
But magic beans aren't fattening.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Rogan' Josh came home a few minutes later and carelessly tossed his mud-caked boots into the corner.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Grandma poked her head in her freezer, which was a magic freezer, and asked for cheese naan. She took out the package and began to heat up the stove.

Meanwhile, she instructed her grandson to kill the sheep, the one that had been fed the magic beans. Then she took her Rogan Josh and added it to the pot already simmering over the fire.

Edit to add: Dangit, Tom, I was typing when you posted that. I don't wanna change what I wrote! I don't! Don't wanna! You can't make me! I don't do it!!!!!

Rogan Josh
Member # 8024

Magic beans make donkeys fly. I don't know what they do to sheeps.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Grandma was about to find out.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogan Josh
Member # 8024

I don't know about the sheep, but if I have to be eaten, with cheese naan is the best way I can be.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Her grandson took his knife and sharpened it on the nearest rock. Having never been taught how to properly sharpen a knife, he succeeded in gouging the blade, making it duller than before. He stood over the sheep and brought the blade up to the neck of the sheep.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Rogan' Josh noticed Grandma with a bottle of Rogan Josh. He had feared this day for many moons. He was going to be replaced by a condiment.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It had already happened to his Uncle Worchestershire.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
*waits for pond to freeze*

*shaves spider's belly with the dull knife*

*climbs onto spider's back and gets a running start*

Spider Curling!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Meanwhile, the sheep that the grandson was about to slaughter said, "Wow, that is one dull knife. I don't think that's even going to get through my wool, let alone cut through the arteries in my neck and drain the blood out of me effectively. I've watched the shepherd sharpen knives hundreds of times. Mind if I give you some pointers? Hey, I don't have to say Baaaa-a-a-a anymore. That's weird."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Then he looked at Rogan Josh and said, "Wow! All these years, I thought it was Rogan Gosh! Huh, learn something new every day! Someone had better tell Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni."

Because he was distracted, he failed to notice the giant anvil falling from the sky.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
But the giant anvil wasn't falling. Barely visible from the ground, except for those with exceptional sight, there was a tiny butterfly carrying the anvil with its little legs. Rogan Josh looked up, just as the butterfly muttered something about china and hurricanes and let the anvil go right over the sheep's poor little head.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

A hungry coyote, carrying an empty ACME dynamite box, eagerly awaits the sheep's pending demise.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

It just so happened that the magical sheep looked up at the very instant the anvil was dropped. Some may attribute this to pure luck, but then not many people have had magical beans before.

The sheep estimated the altitude of the anvil, and factoring the rotation of earth calculated that by the time the anvil reached the surface, it would not be landing on him - it was to fall on Rogan Josh!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"RUN, ROGAN JOSH!" the sheep screamed. "YOU ARE TOO TASTY TO DIE!"
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Rogan Josh looked up, bewildered -- and the anvil came crashing down through the roof, ripping the bottle out of Granny's astonished hands and smashing it into a million pieces.

For a moment, silence.

skillery
Member # 6209

KABOOM!

A blackened coyote holds the remains of a spent match.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Then the spider: "Hey, guys, has anyone seen a bag of sheep? I'm pretty sure I left it hanging around here somewhere. Hey! Smells like Rogan Josh. You guys celebrating something?"
skillery
Member # 6209

*challenges the flying donkey to a blue dart contest*
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.