FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a gender-neutral word for 'siring'?

Author Topic: Is there a gender-neutral word for 'siring'?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to rewrite the sentence

quote:
A chaste individual may have difficulty siring many heirs.
so that it will refer to both sexes. 'Acquiring' is the best I can come up with, but it's not quite right. Suggestions?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Producing? Begetting?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
"producing" maybe?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Begetting, that's it! Thanks Eaquae.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Beget" isn't any more gender-neutral than "sire."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I think you could easily say "She begot a daughter", although admittedly the rather patriarchal KJV probably wouldn't.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You could just as easily say "She sired a daughter." If you're willing to ignore the dictionary definition, why are you looking for a different word.

How about "spawn." [Wink]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Because it's only one dictionary, and on the web at that; I prefer to trust my own sense of language.

"A sire" is the male-gendered counterpart to "a dam". "A begetter" is someone who causes the existence or coming into being of something - in accordance with the second definition of your dictionary. In the sentence "Did Kosovo beget East Timor?", which shows up on a quick Google, what gender would you assign to Kosovo?

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
creating?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dags, your link gives "mother" as one of several synonyms. I think beget IS gender-neutral.

The original Hebrew is, not that it matters. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Beget" is traditionally paired with "bear" in the same way that "a sire" is paired with "a dam." I don't think the dualism is a sufficient reason to discard one and not the other, since both have a female analog.

"Mother" is also listed as a synonym for "sire." [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To OneLook I go.

Agree with Dags:
Disagree (at least somewhat):
All agree that the usage is archaic, in any case. I think I vote for "produce."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I agree with produce.

BTW, "heirs" is not precise usage. "Descendants" or "offspring" is more correct.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Heirs are easy to produce: you can have thousands. Just pick people out of the phonebook, and put them in your will.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

In some precise and technical aspects of property law, heirs are only those who would inherit if there were no will. So you can't pick them, and they don't exist until you die.

But in common usage, even common legal usage, you are correct. [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout conceive? That word can be gender neutral, though it is most commonly used for the female.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like progenerate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
whelp?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
procreate progeny?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the term issue or issuing yet.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"dispensing"
King of Men
Member # 6684

Thanks people, but I think I'll go with beget. It fits in with the general archaic tenor of a medieval game. (Besides, it's a nice five-letter Anglo-Saxon word.) I don't like 'produce', it rings wrong - kind of industrial. And 'conceive' sounds feminine to me. As for the issue of heirs vs offspring, we are talking of royal and noble dynasties, and offspring are mainly useful for being heirs.

Incidentally, you should all play Crusader Kings, check it out at the Paradox website. You might want to wait a couple of weeks for the patches to fix the English, though. It's a Swedish production, there were some issues with changing developers in midstream, and some of the language is seriously bad.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my games and you have your games, but I do intend of playing EU II.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Concieve? or did someone already concieve of that idea.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"have kids."
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zip
Member # 4710

- posted      Profile for zip   Email zip         Edit/Delete Post 
passing on their good looks.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Hush, Sid. Nooblets should be seen and not heard, or whatever the forum equivalent is.

'Conceive' is definitely female-only.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I doan know nuffin' 'bout birthin' no babies!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked "punch out a few kids" [Roll Eyes] But that tends to imply female as well.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"parenting"?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Thanks people, but I think I'll go with beget.
Yes, but did you stick with the imprecise "heirs"?
King of Men
Member # 6684

Indeed I did, see my post above for the reasoning. The same post, in fact, that you just quoted. Perhaps you did not read it all the way through?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oops.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.